United States
florabama
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 59s
Overall Rank = 136/357
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

got up around 5:20 drank coffee, ate cereal (raisin bran w/ extra raisins), took my stuff to the car (packed the night before). put some air in the tires and set out. 6:00
Event warmup:

major potty call (typical). set up transition in a cozy little spot. got marked and went to the water, waded in and swam a little. still had time. race starts at 7:30, so i had 15 to 20 mins.
Swim
  • 05m 20s
  • 438 yards
  • 01m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

a good swim overall. the water was cool but not unbearable. stayed near the back at the start and had trouble getting past people. rounding the buoy a bunch of us clumped together and looked and felt like tuna caught in a net being pulled out of the water. someone shouted "come on guppies!" or something like that. i wiggled out after the turn and made my way to the next buoy and out to the shore.
What would you do differently?:

i may try to start off to the side and out towards the front. maybe. i don't want to use all my energy during the swim either.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

dazed from the swim effort i guess. i'm jumping and hopping on the gravel towards T1. i'm huffing and puffing trying to put my socks on. a child sitting nearby is watching me. i put my shoes on hurriedly. my helmet is on the ground on the other side of the bike apparently knocked off since i had it ready for me on the handlebars. so i pick it up, or rather i take the shirt inside of it and try to put it on. this proves difficult for some reason, i think it got twisted some how. the gel in the pocket probably adds to the complication. next come the glasses also in the helmet. helmet on, grab bike and i'm off. not my most stellar perfomance.

calm down a little and gather my thoughts. prepare more carefully.
Bike
  • 52m 30s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

i'm off on the bike running over the gravel on bike shoes. i fumble a little trying to clip, miss the clip, curse, and hope an official hasn't heard me. i'm on and off i go. i look for my rhythm, easy spinning. a mile out i realize i have no water bottles. great! i'm not turning back. it's a short ride anyway no big deal. i push myself doing 20 mph or so. i get over the bridge, zip down and maintain 22 mph for a little while. after the turnaround the wind is against me so i try to keep it over 18 mph. the bridge looms again and i change gear and climb the steeper side. oof! i need more hill workouts. i'm off my saddle dancing on the pedals. a man on the walkway cheers me on: come on! don't give up! you can do it! thanks for that. i make it over and i'm on my way to T2.

not forget my water bottles. even though it's a short ride i had salt in my mouth and a run ahead of me. prepare more carefully.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

quick transition. shoes off, running shoes on. speed laces yeah! they really work. i fumble for my water bottles and realize i left them in the car. doh!

relax a little and not forget stuff.
Run
  • 34m 10s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

well, nothing to do but take some drink at the aid stations. i find my rhythm trying to pace myself, but my body wants to move faster. but i'm conscious of my fatigue and the potential of having to slow down to a walk so i try to contain myself. at the first mile i get my water. it's hard drinking and running so most of the water goes on my head. i don't want to slow down. i keep my pace. then i look at my waist and notice my race belt is missing. oh no! i panic and think, well, my race won't count. oh well, at least i'll know i did it. i pass someone and he asks how i'm doing. i tell him i forgot my number. he says no big deal they'll write it down from the markings. ok, that makes me feel better. so i go on. it gets a little tougher and i get my second cup of water. i slow down this time to get a proper drink. that's better and i increase my pace a bit, but after a while i slow down again. i struggle between keeping pace and wanting to push harder. i have to maintain. the finish line is still a ways. i resign myself to my pace and concentrate on form. where is that finish line? ah there it is. finally i run through and feel pretty good after all.

not forget my number. and not let my mind take over the race. too much thinking perhaps and doubts might have gotten in the way. then again better preparation/training would help. better than average but could be better.
Post race
Warm down:

enjoyed the post-race glow with my dad for a few minutes. gathered my stuff, bike, and took them to the car. got my drink from the car, my tickets for beer. talked to the officials about my race number snafu; they were very thankful that i approached them. i was not the only one who forgot. got my red beans and rice with bread and salad, finished my water bottle and got my beer and sat, stretched, and basked in the sun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

preparation, mind games. of course age and other things i have no control over.

Event comments:

a good race. better than last year. even though i was more fatigued than i would have liked to be, i was in better shape. the race is rather informal, not sanctioned by the usat. therefore it's more relaxed as far as officials are concerned. perhaps the short swim and bike trick you into going too fast for the 4 mile run. that's not much, but it's more than 3.1.

Last updated: 2004-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:20 | 438 yards | 01m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/357
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: straight out to buoy, turn left to next buoy, turn right to shore. it's a canal or intercoastal across the road from the gulf. they call it Old River.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:52:30 | 15 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Overall: 145/357
Wind: Some
Course: flat except for a bridge 2 miles out. 7.5 miles and turn to come back on the same road (by the beach). the bridge gradient is a lot higher coming back, but shorter. on the way out it's more gradual.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:10 | 04 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 141/357
Course: flat 2 miles out on the bike route, under the bridge and turn around for another 2 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes