General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenswell Wellness Triathlon & Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Greenswell Wellness Triathlon & Duathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lewis Center, Ohio
United States
Greenswell
Total Time = 2h 15m 33s
Overall Rank = 12/47
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Had coffee and a special K bar on the way there. Arrived at 6:20 and set up my transition. Had a sinus infection all weekend, so I need to take a decongestant to try and loosen things up. Was pretty concerned that this would impact my race, so I figured I start out taking it easy, then see how things go.
Event warmup:

Not much, Swam about 200yds just to get used to the water.
Swim
  • 34m 58s
  • 2000 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Small group for the Olympic. All the men went at once, that still didn't stop someone from swimming over me, seriously?!? If I hit someones feet, I try to go around them, not over them. Anyway, I caught up to the sprint wave starts on the second lap and had to do some navigation. Despite the course being significantly longer than I anticipated, I think I did fairly well.
What would you do differently?:

Can't think of anything I would do differently. Only thing that is going to make me a faster swimmer is more practice. I tend to relax a lot on the swim and really pace myself.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Since I thought it was going to be really hot and I was doing the Olympic, I felt I needed a 3rd water bottle. I practiced riding with a water bottle in the back of my tri jersey this past week, I didn't practice running through transition. Stupid bottle popped out of there twice while I was running. Then to make matters worse, while getting up to speed, my GU's came off my bike leaving me with little nutrition for the rest of the race. I probably should be penalized 2 minutes since I'm sure they fell off just outside the transition area. Transition time doesn't look bad because these issues happened right after I went through transition.

Need to store my nutrition better. I won't attach it to the bike anymore, I'll put it in my jersey pocket. Also, if bringing that extra water bottle. I'll carry it through transition and put it in my back pocket right after I mount.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 51s
  • 23.61 miles
  • 21.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Nice ride, kept a good pace. Got a little crowded on the first loop. I actually had to put my brakes on going downhill below the dam because there were three bikers across trying to pass and I chose to wait it out before I went around them. That was very frustrating when you build some speed going downhill and then need to hit the brakes before hitting the uphill.

Not lose my nutrition in the transition area, I think that Gu would have given me a little boost.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Since I didn't have any nutrition, I remembered on my bike that I had a half eaten cliff bar in my bag to the side. Ran over and got that before running out. Other than that, rack bike, socks on, shoes on, hat on, and go.

Not lose my nutrition so I have to fidget around in my bag in the transition.
Run
  • 32m 14s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out a bit too quick and then had to slow down cause I couldn't keep up the 6:45 pace I started out with. This was supposed to be a 5 miler, so I guess I paced myself a bit too much. I don't like running on that grass on the dam. But I just hung in there and kept expecting the Olympic folks to have a different route back to add the extra 1 mile. It never happened and never really even kicked it in for the last .5 mile like I usually do.

Not sure. I need to figure out how to get faster. Also, I probably need to lear to leave nothing out on the course and kick it in hard for the last mile and not just wait until the finish line is in sight.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over grabbed some food and beverage then walked until my HR went down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sinus infection and lack of nutrition on the course.

Event comments:

The race was well organized and well executed. I will definitely do a greenswell race again. Only thing they need to fix is the accurate distance calculations. The course was way off and it really threw me when I got on the bike and thought I was 5 minutes off my normal race pace. Also didn't like thinking that I was going on a 5 mile run and pace myself accordingly and then wind up a mile short.

Great event, woulddo it again.

Last updated: 2011-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:58 | 2000 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 12/47
Performance: Good
For some reason, the mats keep missing my timing chip. Thank goodnes it's only on the swim and bike and that I haven't missed a total time yet. Swim and Bike times (as well as rankings) are based on my stopwatch splits, not off of official race results.
Suit: Yes - sleeveless
Course: Course was much longer than stated in the map. I am going to guess at least 2000yds, would love it if someone with a GPS on during the swim would provide exact distance.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:05:51 | 23.61 miles | 21.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 5/47
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops around Alum Creek.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:14 | 04 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 18/47
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-22 3:27 PM

User image

Dublin, OH
Subject: Greenswell Wellness Triathlon & Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenswell Wellness Triathlon & Duathlon Rss Feed