Ironhead Race Productions
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 18s
Overall Rank = 223/426
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 5/13
Pre-race routine:

Same ol' same ol', coffee, oatmeal, immodium, water.
Event warmup:

Got in and swam about 200 yards. They only gave us 10 minutes for a swim warmup!
Swim
  • 08m 20s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had a great starting place, inside left in the front. Gun went off and I was surrounded by men, and never really go any clear water to swim in. Lots of body contact, nothing painful. Water was very warm with little to no visibility. This race has a really hard swim exit, you have to depend on the volunteers to pull you out. And I did!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, it is what it is.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Long run from the swim exit up hairpin ramps to the transition area, then a long run down the middle of transition to my bike. AT least 1/4 mile altogether. Luckily that meant not far to run with my bike to the mount line!

Nothing, it was about as quick as I could get it. The bikes were packed in pretty tightly so it was a little hard to maneuver, probably should have chosen the far end of the rack over a place in the middle.
Bike
  • 40m 23s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.47 mile/hr
Comments:

There was definitely some wind out there, it looks like everyone's bike speed was down from the past 2 years. Had a gal in my AG pass me within the first couple of miles and I opted not to go after her, but to ride comfortably. In hindsight, I wish I had hammered the bike because the run sucked anyway. I definitely had the energy and the legs to push harder. I was easily over 20 mph the past 2 years.

Ride harder! In my case, I don't think holding anything back to "save" myself for the run is the way to go. I need to build up as much lead as I can with the bike and swim and just hold on for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Had a hard time getting my bike racked since the guy next to me didn't leave me much room! Then there was a long run to the end of transition to the run exit. Shoes went on okay, but I still needed to brace myself against the bike rack, so I still need work on getting the shoes on easily and FAST. I might have to resort to a *gasp*, bucket?!

Practice getting the shoes on faster!
Run
  • 40m 23s
  • 3.45 miles
  • 11m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

And yes, another suck run that I blew up in. Had to walk within the first quarter mile, just couldn't get my breathing under control. After mile 2 I began having some ITB type pain in my right knee, so I would walk a little, run a little... 2 more ladies from my AG passed me and I couldn't hang with them. Managed to sprint across the bridge to the finish line, so I was happy with my finish, but overall... suck.

Hammer the bike and then deal with whatever on the run. I obviously need to keep working on basic bike fitness and run fitness...
Post race
Warm down:

Tried not to puke, that last sprint to the finish really did a number on my tummy. Drank a bottle of water and sat down on the grass with Kati. Checked the results, got some pizza and cookies and a Lemonade Vitamin Water, waited for Anne to finish her Oly, but never saw her come in, and waited for the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sucky run, for sure. I think I have a psychological block about the run... I start thinking about it even before I'm done with the bike, and I think I just psych myself out. If I can get my everyday and stand-alone running to a low 9 minute pace, I would be happy.

Event comments:

I love this race! 1000 racers, really nice party atmosphere with bouncy houses for the kids and loud music. Beautiful outdoor amphitheater area for announcements overlooking the river, and lots of shade. Fast bike course, almost flat run course, swimming under bridges, just a nice race. I'm disappointed I didn't bring home any bling this year after being 1st AG 2 years ago and getting the Grandmaster's Award last year... New AG next year, so another goal!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:20 | 437 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 61/426
Performance: Average
Suit: 2 pc tri suit
Course: Rectangle, turning left at the buoys.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:23 | 12.43 miles | 18.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 168/426
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back, flat, mostly smooth pavement, some chip seal.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:40:23 | 03.45 miles | 11m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 323/426
Performance: Below average
Course: 3.45 mile loop that ran next to the river, up over a bridge to the other side, back down alongside the river and then a spectacular finish across the historic pedestrian suspension bridge.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-24 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: TriWaco Sprint Triathlon

2011-07-24 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3612292

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Subject: RE: TriWaco Sprint Triathlon
Awesome race! Sorry you had a rough run. Sounds like a fun race, though. 
2011-07-26 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Ahahaha! We did pretty much have identical races. Are you my long lost twin? Well great job out there anyways!
2011-07-27 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

So, this woman who sits in the cubicle outside of my office just farted really loudly!

Oh, sorry - I think you're too hard on yourself sometimes.  You dealt with, what sound like, some tougher conditions than past years and still finished in a very respectable time.  Enjoy the fact that you did it and still kicked bootay, not that you weren't sooper grand poobah again this year.  Learn from this race and get them next time, just like you know you will! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriWaco Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed