Ironhead Race Productions
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 43s
Overall Rank = 227/386
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/20
Pre-race routine:

The week before this race I got a cold and I didn't work-out for a week. My trip to Yellowstone is 2 days after Tri-Waco and I knew I couldn't cram any last minute training so I decided to rest, sleep and stay out of the nasty heat. Also, kayaking in 100 degree heat on Saturday probably wasn't the smartest thing right before a race but....meh, I had fun.

Event warmup:

Woke up at 5:00, walked down to transition to set up gear. Set my stuff up and was headed back to the hotel when I saw a lady start dropping shoes, gatorade, ect. I decided to be nice and help her carry her belongings to her rack. Showed her how to set up transition and meandered my way back to my area. Some guy told me I was racked the wrong way....doh! LOL. Oh well. Fixed my bike and transition area. Walked up back to my room to make some coffee, finish eating muffin and banana. Really really like being able to roll out of bed and walk out to the race.
Swim
  • 08m 45s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

I have been seriously slacking on my swim training. I've been averaging 1 swim a week and oh did it show. I decided to place myself smack dab in the middle of the pack to draft. Bad. Idea. Got pummeled in the washing machine. Spent most of swim getting smacked by others, trying not to outright swim over others, got stopped a few times b/c of log jams. At 250, I found a little gap and then ran into the wave in front of us. The water was disgustingly hot. I was overheating pretty badly. Other than the traffic & the heat I wasn't expecting a stellar swim anyways.
What would you do differently?:

Should've lined myself up front and far right since all buoys were to the left and I am a left side breather. Swim more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

Long run up the ramp and to rack. Sat on my butt and put shoes, helmet, and glasses on. Forgot to put Garmin on.....doh!

Put on Garmin and HR strap. Drink more water.
Bike
  • 40m 7s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.59 mile/hr
Comments:

Guess what sport I've actually been training in? Bike...ding-ding! Since I didn't have my Garmin I was riding completely blind.....which wasn't my plan. I was supposed to stay in my lower tempo zones. Didn't know HR, speed, or time so this was completely by RPE......and we know how well I gauge my efforts. Right out of T1 I was passing a bunch of people and I knew I was pushing too hard. So I backed off a little and tried to keep it at a steady effort. Most of those people I passed, passed me back. Held it steady until the turn around and decided to pick up the pace. Going back in I was doing the passing....oh, this is how it feels. Nice. Ran out of water at mile 8ish. Crap. I must've been really thirsty...I ran through 24 oz! Played leap frog for the last 2 miles with some guy-decent pace booty. Made it back to T2 without wrecking on my face....win!

Not forget to put HR strap and Garmin on and ride as hard....I probably would've been better served if I stuck to my orginal plan to avg 17.
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Got bike racked and took off cycling gear, put running gear on. Fumbled getting socks and shoes on. Still forgot Garmin. Calves were starting to cramp.....uh-oh.

I need to practice transistions more and remember to put Garmin on.
Run
  • 40m 15s
  • 3.45 miles
  • 11m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Quote from Coach Tommy: "There is no such thing as a good bike and bad run....there is bad pacing on the bike and a bad run".

Heh. Guess what I did? My run training has been really pathetic. Coming out of T2 I knew I was going to be in trouble. 1.) Calves were cramping and I was doing the Frankenstien shuffle 2.) I needed fluids in a really bad way. 3.) My left shoulder hurt like a mo-fo....ok, kayaking the day before was a really bad idea! That first mile was really really bad. I walked majority of that mile b/c I was sooooo thirsty and my calves were cramped up. I got to the aid station right before the bridge and took in 2 cups of water, cup of powerade and threw a cup of ice down shirt. Started to feel a little better and ran a little more until cramps forced me to walk again. Saw a bunch of girls in my AG pass me up....tried to run after them but gave up after 1/2 a mile. I had pretty much given up on the run and that is my mental weakness.

Run more and back off on the bike a bit. Also, remember Garmin and maybe my small hand held water. I was really thirsty this entire run.
Post race
Warm down:

Water....lots of water

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and bad bike pacing. Also, I really need to drink A LOT more fluids as hot as it's been.

Event comments:

GREAT race! This was done really well and I've done Jack's races before and I was pleasantly surprised by Tri-Waco. Not that his races are bad, they tend to be very cut and dry, without all the hype and pizaaz. I had a lot of fun, not my best effort but this was just a "B" race and I learned a lot.

Last updated: 2011-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:45 | 437 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 4/20
Overall: 32/386
Performance: Average
Suit: TTT tri kit
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 89F / 32C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:18
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:07 | 12.43 miles | 18.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 160/386
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Out and back
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:40:15 | 03.45 miles | 11m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/20
Overall: 321/386
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Bad Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-25 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Subject: TriWaco Sprint Triathlon

2011-07-26 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3614480

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: TriWaco Sprint Triathlon

We had almost identical races!  I probably didn't see you though since my wave went off after yours.  I'm with you on the "bad bike pacing = bad run", I've somehow not figured out how to ride fast and still be able to do the run well!  I get out there on that bike leg and just want to pass people cuz it feels so good!!  But then it sure does suck to see AGers passing you on the run! 

Good race report!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriWaco Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed