General Discussion Race Reports! » Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kure Beach, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 35s
Overall Rank = 162/311
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/30
Pre-race routine:

We went to 2 wheeler dealer and picked up out race packets. This year our hotel wasnt robbed but they were replacing the furnature. There was a huge pile of junk dressers covering the parking lot so only about 10 spaces could be used. We ate at flaming amys grill and had more of the good ol spicy food. I had a miller light. The race morning was a normal routine of a protein drink and banana. I didnt want much more since it was going to be a short race. We drove to Kure beach and parked in the same area as last year. We took our bikes to t2 and racked them. The no see ums ate us up so we hurried to the truck and put on our jellyfish repellant. We grabbed some drinks and our t1 bins and headed to the beach.
Event warmup:

Very little warm up. I did some light stretches and tried to get in the ocean for a minute prior to the start.
Swim
  • 17m 38s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

I ranked 249 and 224 on the second swim out of 311. This year I didnt have that sick feeling after the race. It wasnt as hot this year.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

t1 was included in swim 1
Bike
  • 32m 44s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 22.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I dont really care for the set up on this route. Three miles and turn around times two. The half way turn around was tricky. There was an inside lane for those who had to circle a cone and do a second loop. There was also an outside lane in which those finishing their second loop headed to the transition area. That made for a congested mess with people trying to get to their proper lane. It looked like the I95 exit ramp off of I40.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 was included in the first run. The chip mat was at the mount line of the bike, so the transition from bike to run was part of run 2.
What would you do differently?:

there were lots of stickers in the transition area so I figure it would be better to leave shoes on feet instead of shoes on bike.
Run
  • 25m 15s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

ranked 10th ag first run and 11th ag second run
Post race
Warm down:

We watched the bike toss and watched our friends collect their awards. I didnt do well enough for an award. I didnt do well enough to be in the top 10.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

age, arthritis, bad knees, a missing tonail, poor swimming technique, water in the ear, the heat, sand in my shoes, sand in my shorts, wounds from multiple no see um bites, not having tri shoes, people spraying water in my eyes.

Last updated: 2011-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:38 | 820 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/311
Performance: Average
first swim was 8:09 and the second was 9:29
Suit: tri shorts
Course: out into the ocean past the breakers and turn left at the bouey with the current. After the third bouey turn left and head back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:44 | 12.4 miles | 22.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/30
Overall: 136/311
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: flat course was a 2 loop out 3 miles and back. The course advertised 20k
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:15 | 03 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/311
Performance: Average
12:44 and 12:31
Course: Lots of turns. I kept waiting to come out atand see the ocean but they had us running in these little neighborhoods. It was getting hot and every turn I was thinking "come on ocean", until finally we came back to the beach. Then after taking off the shoes and grabbing the goggles again we had to run up the beach about 400 yards to the swim start so we could swim again.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?