General Discussion Race Reports! » Athleta Iron Girl Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Athleta Iron Girl Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
Athleta Iron Girl
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 26s
Overall Rank = 333/470
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 70/93
Pre-race routine:

Didn't hear a couple of my alarms go off, but I had the coffee maker timer on so no worries. Crawled out of bed at about a quarter to 5am poured my coffee and went through transitions in my head again to make sure I didn't forget to pack anything in my bag last night. I had a hard time eating my oatmeal this morning just cuz I wasn't hungry yet, but I choked it down otherwise I knew I would regret it. Drank my delicious cup of coffee, grabbed my stuff and left.
Event warmup:

I made sure to get use to the water first since the announcer kept stressing how cold it was. It actually wasn't that bad, especially after a couple of strokes. I warm up fast, so it was nice. Took my GU at 7am and waited for my wave to go at 7:15am.
Swim
  • 10m 45s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is the first swim that I have actually swam freestyle. On the way out I made sure to splash my face to get use to the cold water. I tried to start swimming a couple of times, but it was just too crowded until I was almost at the first buoy. At this time I was doing more of a side-stroke/freestyle with head out of the water combo. My breath was pretty hard to control. I made myself just put my head under water and breath out and then I started to freestyle. I couldn't believe it! The last three tris I've done, I felt confident going into the swim, until I actually started swimming then I freak out. This time I made myself go practice in that lake about four times, so I knew I could do it. I passed people! Me! I did veer off course a couple of times, but once I was doing the freestyle, I was good. And doing this actually helped control my breath so I didn't feel like I was hyperventilating.
What would you do differently?:

Get use to a wetsuit so maybe I could use one. I just get so hot so quickly, but like anything I'm sure it just takes practice.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

Long run through the sand once we get out of the water. Once the sand turns to pavement there was a little pool to rinse the feet which I used and then jogged the rest of the way into transition and to my bike.

Move a little faster. I'm just tuckered out after the swim it takes a minute for me to get moving.
Bike
  • 51m 4s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 16.06 mile/hr
Comments:

There's a large (to me) hill right out of transition, but I cranked up that bad boy as fast as I could. The rest of the ride was good. A bit bumpy at spots, but overall it was fine.

After the ride I need to figure out a way to get out of my pedals more efficiently. I make sure I unclip my left one to stop and then I get out of my right one. I need to practice both so I don't have to actually STOP and unclip and crawl over the bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

Went good. Took off my bike shoes and put on my socks and running shoes. Took off my helmet, ate a gu and drank some Gatorade and was off.

I need to remember to unclip my helmet while I'm running to my spot.
Run
  • 39m 53s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out too fast, but slowed myself down. I did a run/walk of 5:1 which really helped me keep my energy up. I did walk the up hills though. They fell nicely into my minute of walking pattern. A couple of houses had sprinklers misting which was really nice.

Run more, which wouldn't be a hard goal. I also need to do hill workouts otherwise I will never get better at those darn things.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and water and gatorade. Walked over to a shady tree and stretched out my legs. My right knee felt really tight.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Train with more purpose. I would really like to get my run time down. Overall I was really proud of myself for the swim, I went faster than usual on the bike, and I stuck to my plan on the run. It was a good race.

Event comments:

I really like doing this race. Everyone is so nice and it's very well run. There's a great breakfast afterwards and plenty of hydration available for after the race.

Last updated: 2010-12-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:45 | 437 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/93
Overall: 0/470
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: U shaped
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:04 | 13.67 miles | 16.06 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Kind of like a lower case q.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:39:53 | 03.11 miles | 12m 49s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-31 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Subject: Athleta Iron Girl Sprint Triathlon

2011-07-31 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3622411

User image

SWOH
Subject: RE: Athleta Iron Girl Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on your swim breakthrough!
2011-08-01 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3622774

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Sounds like you had an AWESOME race!!  Swim breakthrough, fast bike and you followed your run plan and you didn't puke, what more could you ask for??  Nothing like a race to remind what your weaknesses are and where you need to train!!  Super job, Jordan!
2011-08-01 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3622411

Awesome race, Jordie!  Congratulations on your swim.  You are definitely a strong person, to remember to calm down and rely on your traiining!  And your plan for the run was brilliant as well.  Considering that you had a tough spring with injuries and what not, I think you did awesome!  Thanks for posting your report!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Athleta Iron Girl Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed