General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 45m 43s
Overall Rank = 246/931
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 39/138
Pre-race routine:

My two daughters were with me at the Hyatt and joining me for the race. I woke up at 4:45 and ate (PB sandwich, vitamin water, enduralytes) and started taking things to the truck. Woke up the girls at 5:15. We left the hotel around 5:30 and hit the local Wawa to get them some breakfast. Arrived at the race site just before 6:00. Transition opened at 5:45 so this is a little later than I like to arrive.

Took the bike off the truck and put some air in the tires. I realized that something was wrong. The rear wheel was rubbing against the frame!! Oh no. Never had to deal with a bike issue right before the race. Took it to the repair guys and they worked on it while I went to transition. A bit stressful.

After setting up transition, found Nicki Atkinson to talk about the day and coordinate with the girls as she was going to be watching them for me during the race. Hit the port-o-potty and walked down to the beach area to warm up a bit. My wave is next to last at 8:15 so it's a LONG wait....sorta sucks. Hurry up and wait. LOL.
Event warmup:

Hit the swim warmup and swam a few laps. Felt good. Water very warm.
Swim
  • 29m 3s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Best event of the day from a ranking perspective. Lots of conflict in the water though as our wave started behind the women's wave and I was swimming on top of many of them. Did run into quite a few males from my age group as well.

I felt strong and solid the entire time. Did run into some sun on the final 500m once I made the last right turn and headed back to the exit. This slowed me down as I had to work harder to sight to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I felt good and really well prepared.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Ugh! Thought I had my transition row picked out but it appears I didn't. I spent a good 30-45 seconds looking for my row and bike. CRAP!

I think I was rushed in setting up and though I did check my row it didn't quite sink in I guess. Would have liked to have had the :30-:45 back.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 42s
  • 25.65 miles
  • 20.60 mile/hr
Comments:

So, I felt like the bike was not riding well. The repair got me through to the race but it didn't have the pickup or speed I usually have on this bike. I could tell something was wrong. Otherwise the course was nice, flat and closed.

Appears I need to make sure I have my bike serviced a week or so before the race to avoid any issues.

Turns out I had a leak in my rear tire and something was not set correctly with the wheel. I think I cost myself 4-8 minutes off my finish time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Pretty average transition. Nothing too special.

If I want to do this faster I have to get out of my bike shoes and leave them on the bike. Too hard to run in bike shoes. I was afraid I would slip.
Run
  • 57m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where I struggled. It was extremely hot, just like last year. I ran effectively until about mile 3. Then I used a run/walk strategy. I obviously cost myself some time but I needed to do this to be able to keep moving.

Used the water stations and fire hose stops effectively. Good course.

Put in a good kick at the end.

Not much. This really comes down to fitness and the ability to deal with the heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Found the family (Alex and Garrett had shown up to watch the finish) and hit the mist tent. Drank some water and ate some of the tomato pie provided by the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall, the bike mechanical and tire leak issues hurt my performance. The run was just too hot for me and my fitness level wasn't adequate for the extreme heat. Overall I improved in all three categories over last year so it was a success.

Event comments:

Another superb race run by CGI. Really enjoy their energy, organization and courses.

Last updated: 2011-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:03 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/138
Overall: 177/931
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: Point to point for about 850m and then two left turns and back to the finish. Total 1500m.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:42 | 25.65 miles | 20.60 mile/hr
Overall: 285/931
Wind: None
Course: Closed and flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:58 | 06.21 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 407/931
Course: Fairly flat course around the lake. Some slight uphills. Well outlined. Rest stops set up effectively and the cold towels were great as were the two fire hose spray stations.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-31 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed