BuDuRacing
59F / 15C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 40m 53s
Overall Rank = 46/135
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/9
Pre-race routine:

Showed up with plenty of time, 7:15, set up transitions and got everything in place. Pre race meeting at 8.
Event warmup:

Swam 15 minutes before and streteched
Swim
  • 31m 37s
  • 1750 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim, got started a little too fast, should have relaxed a bit more, shoulders got tight and tired. Swam slower than I wanted
What would you do differently?:

Cool it a little more on the first 200
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Steep hill after tansition, no point in puting shoes on while on bike. I put my shoes on and then mounted

take is slower, relax the heart rate a bit
Bike
  • 2h 12m 35s
  • 28 miles
  • 12.67 mile/hr
Comments:

This was so freaking hard. My heart rate wouldn't drop down for about 25 minutes. It was staying steady around 210-215. I think I should have stopped and let it calm down but I couldn't bring myself to stop. After it dropped I gained a lot of power and then I could bring up my cadence. Then it was windy and that sucked

Stop to relax my heart rate.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

they had my bag all laid out and ready for me

lace my shoes in transition
Run
  • 54m 22s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

tired, had to keep my legs going, had a few hr spikes but all in all this wasn't supposed to be a fast run
Post race
Warm down:

walk/cool down, shower

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the wind, extremely high heart rate out of the water

Event comments:

the wind really made it a difficult course today.

Last updated: 2011-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:37 | 1750 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 59/135
Performance: Below average
Suit: Category 3
Course: The course was well laid out, all right turns, the water got choppy on the way back
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:12:35 | 28 miles | 12.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 39/135
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: 25 mile per hour headwind up the 12 mile hill, 20 mph head winds coming into town.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:22 | 06.2 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 55/135
Performance: Average
Course: Flat with a steady climb and decent and then a large hill the last mile followed by downhill to finish
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-31 7:13 PM

User image

Ellensburg, WA
Subject: Whisky Dick Triathlon

2011-07-31 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3622799

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Whisky Dick Triathlon

The wind sounds pretty brutal.  I am glad my race didn't have those kind of weather conditions.

Looking at all of your placement in the whole race, it looks like you did very well despite the conditions.  You placed in the top third in the overall results in all 3 disciplines. 

2011-07-31 10:50 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael
HR of 210-215? Your heart must have been exploding! Did you feel like it was that high? I have had a couple experiences where my HR was malfunctioning coming out of the water, but I felt fine. I try to train and race with RPE (rate of perceived exertion) as well just to get a good idea of what kind of effort I am really putting out when equipment malfunctions. It's tough to rely solely on HR also becuase a higher HR can be caused by other factors besides your exertion like did you just take in some fluids, how hot the day is, how much sleep you got the night before, etc... Good race overall though, way to push through!
2011-08-01 10:16 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
All in all....a good race.  Seriously.  Looks like you gave it an awesome effort and that heart rate is just crazy!  Well done my man!  And don't worry about your run pace.  You're as fast as I am and I have been dedicating this year to running well. 
2011-08-01 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Dang, sounds like a very tough day out there. Your next race is going to feel easy compared to this one. Nice work.

p.s. do you get whiskey at the end of this race or not? i'm afeard of googling the race name at work
2011-08-01 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3623023

User image

Ellensburg, WA

MattCan - 2011-07-31 8:50 PM HR of 210-215? Your heart must have been exploding! Did you feel like it was that high? I have had a couple experiences where my HR was malfunctioning coming out of the water, but I felt fine. I try to train and race with RPE (rate of perceived exertion) as well just to get a good idea of what kind of effort I am really putting out when equipment malfunctions. It's tough to rely solely on HR also becuase a higher HR can be caused by other factors besides your exertion like did you just take in some fluids, how hot the day is, how much sleep you got the night before, etc... Good race overall though, way to push through!

I thought it might be the monitor so I decided to ride one handed and see my pulse. Needless to say I couldn't count that fast, I was in the 20's in no time and didn't couldn't check the second hand of my watch. The same thing happened on my last tri but it wasn't this extreme. I didn't have any hills to climb out of in transition like this one. Overall I was completely prepaired for this triathlon, lots of sleep, hydrated, perfect tested diet, it was about 70 degrees. The wierdest thing about it was my lack of power on the bike. You'd think if it were working that hard that I would have some massive power, to be honest I have a triple and I was in my easiest gear. I intentionally slowed down to about 5 mph to try and get it to drop but only water and nutrition somehow triggered it to slow down.

2011-08-01 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3623672

User image

Ellensburg, WA

yeats - 2011-08-01 8:52 AM Dang, sounds like a very tough day out there. Your next race is going to feel easy compared to this one. Nice work. p.s. do you get whiskey at the end of this race or not? i'm afeard of googling the race name at work

I'm excited for my next tri, I'm going for an xterra. This mountain range is Whisky (missing the e) so you might be ok searching for it at work, just don't look for images.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whisky Dick Triathlon Rss Feed