Glenview Park District
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 24s
Overall Rank = 53/343
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/26
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early. Rode over to the race. Got set up in transition. Forgot to stretch.
Event warmup:

None really to speak of. Loosened up on the ride over to the race.
Swim
  • 04m 47s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty good swim. Right in line with the last few years. My training dropped off a bit in the month prior to the race, but I still had a pretty good base to put out a good 300 without tiring out. My last time trial before the race was about :20 faster. The extra seconds would have been nice, but would not have made that big of a difference. There are a lot of really strong local racers in my age group - my placement from age group to guys to overall was top 30%/22%/15%.
What would you do differently?:

Try to stay steady with training through the race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Good T1. Ran out from the pool and wasted no time getting out on the bike. Top 20 or so for the entire race.
Bike
  • 27m 49s
  • 10 miles
  • 21.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Solid ride. I've put in half the volume as I did last summer when I was preparing for Racine HIM, and I only lost about 50 seconds or so on the bike, and I was not pushing it quite as hard as last year. I'm pretty happy that I've maintained a good level of fitness on the bike. Hopefully I can hang on to it and build some before next year. Again, the results show the effect of being in a strong age group (even more so than swim) - placement from age group to guys to overall was top 42%/22%/14%.

I actually felt that this was the right ride for me to best set up a non-disastrous run. Given my level of fitness going into the race, no changes.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Crappy T2. Going in, I had already written off having a good run (see below), and just wasn't focused on saving every second. I broke a rule I swore I never would after my first season - don't mess around with a shirt in transition. I wound up riding without a top and for some reason decided to throw on a tank top to run in. Put it on backwards first, readjusted, then lost a few more seconds with the socks . . . just not necessary for a 5K. I should have been out of T2 in around a minute.

Either race without a shirt or figure out something to swim in that I can leave on for the whole race.
Run
  • 27m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Ironically, the leg of the race that I had written off wound up being where I improved the most from past years. I had been recovering from a stress fracture from April until last June, and had only begun some really light running in the 4 or 5 weeks prior to the race. I felt like the stress fracture had not quite healed about two weeks ago and only had 1 or 2 short runs per week for the last 2 weeks, so I really wasn't expecting much here. I wound up with a respectable (for me) run, and it wasn't as agonizing as the last few years. My goal has always been to break an hour for this race. If I can heal up and build a good base over the winter, the run is where I'll do it. Placement by age group, gender and overall - top 58%/41%/29%

Stay uninjured!
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around. Eat. Massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lower training volume compared to past years and injury.

Event comments:

Remains a gem of a local race. Overall placement in AG/guys/overall was: 46%/24%/15%

Last updated: 2011-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:47 | 300 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/26
Overall: 50/343
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto Tri Shorts
Course: Snake swim through 6-lane pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:09
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:27:49 | 10 miles | 21.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/26
Overall: 48/343
Wind: Little
Course: 2 x 5-mile loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:04 | 03.11 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/26
Overall: 101/343
Course: Mostly flat course with one hill to go over and back at around mile 1 and 2.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-01 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: Glenview Park Center Triathlon

2011-08-08 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3623395

User image

New user

Gurnee / Waukegan
Subject: RE: Glenview Park Center Triathlon
Awesome race report. We were in the same age group. How come so many 35-39 year olds are so fast. Hope to see you in Glenview next year, I love this little Tri it is very well run and the people are great!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Glenview Park Center Triathlon Rss Feed