General Discussion Race Reports! » Bridgetown Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bridgetown Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bridgetown, Nova Scotia
Canada
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 52s
Overall Rank = 6/65
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

This was my first open water triathlon, so was a little nervous about that. But after having had several good practice sessions with other swimmers, I felt pretty good about it overall. I didn't think I would drown. :) Due to family obligations, I traveled the day of, so was up at 3:30AM, hit the road by 4:30AM, race check in at 6:30AM, race start at 9AM.
Event warmup:

Just did some stretching and a short easy warm-up run prior to the start. The organizers went over the race details, informed us of the fact that there was probably a high bacteria count due to rainfall, and then let us jump in about 5 - 10 minutes before the start.
Swim
  • 14m 26s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

For my first open water swim, I was extremely pleased. The river is very narrow, so you don't exactly feel like you are in some massive body of water. Due to the currents, most people swam along the outside, 15-20 feet from shore. Felt reasonably strong and comfortable during the entire swim. I really didn't notice any effects from the current, but I think that had to do more with my lack of experience......I just kept swimming..
A little trouble with my goggles fogging and thus took a little bit of extra time to spot the exit ramp on the shore.
What would you do differently?:

I need more fitness and better technique to get faster! Also some anti-fog solution for my goggles.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

This is a weak point from me, and I probably have some learning and equipment fine tuning to do... I have road racing shoes, not tri specific, and I don't have them pre-clipped into the pedals. So I probably spend a good 20 seconds getting the shoes on, ratcheting them closed, then the helmet, then running on the cleats with the bike, etc. Everything went smoothly, including taking the wetsuit off, but I think I could speed the whole thing up with practice and different shoes.

Tri-shoes, possibly pre-clipped in.
Bike
  • 34m 36s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 21.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt pretty good and passed a lot of people. I have a cycling background (road racing), but have not done a lot of time trials, and I don't have a good fit on my tri bike. When down in the aero bars I was somewhat uncomfortable, especially on the saddle (road saddle, Arione).

I really need to get a professional fitting done to get more comfortable and efficient on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Again, pretty slow. I think it was a good 50 meter run from the dismount line to where I had to rack my bike. I ran in my bike shoes (speedplay cleats..). I was slow! Then when it came time to put the running shoes on, I have to put socks on otherwise I get bad blisters under my arches from my orthotics.

I think it would be better for me to get my feet out of my shoes while still on the bike, leaving the shoes clipped in, and run barefoot into transition, should be a lot faster than running in cleats. I guess this depends on the surface you need to run on. In this case it was grass, so barefoot would have been fine.
As for the time I took to put my socks on (15 seconds?), not sure what to do about that yet...
Run
  • 22m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

This was where I felt the worst. I was tired and had a stitch in my side. I felt like I was running -very- slow for the first half. But once I rounded the turnaround, I felt better, and picked up the pace by quite a bit for the last 2.5km and caught a few people.

I just need more fitness!
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around for a while and ate some fruit. Given the short duration of the race it didn't take too long before you were feeling normal again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of fitness, need to lose some weight.

Event comments:

This was my first real triathlon (in other words, not a pool swim). I'm hooked. Felt good physically, and more importantly, felt great mentally. Like other multi-sport events I've attended, mostly duathlons, the organization was great, location was great. I can't think of one single complaint. I absolutely plan to go again next year. Only thing I plan to change is that I hope to do the olympic distance next time, and will also call ahead very early to get a room at the local motel so that I can bring the family.

Last updated: 2011-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:26 | 820 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 11/65
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: River swim with a current, out and back loop.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:36 | 12.43 miles | 21.55 mile/hr
Overall: 6/65
Wind: Some
Course: Course was mostly flat with a few very gentle rollers. Probably only used 3 or 4 different gears total. Very good pavement conditions. Side/head wind on the way out, side/tail coming back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:22:19 | 03.11 miles | 07m 11s  min/mile
Overall: 13/65
Course: Similar to the bike course, it was mostly flat. Felt very hot, but only 5km..
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-02 8:17 AM

Subject: Bridgetown Triathlon - Sprint Course

2011-08-26 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3625110

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Subject: RE: Bridgetown Triathlon - Sprint Course

You couldn't have done better... 1st in AG and learned a ton of lessons. 

if you have a road bkgd, you can still tri on your road bike with a few minor adjustments like aerobar extensions.  I reccomend the ITU approved ones, if you look at ITU races, most those guys race on road frames. 

Let me know about the Planet X frameset.  I am interested but unsure of the s/h cost from CAN

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bridgetown Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed