Racetri
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 57m 17s
Overall Rank = 265/330
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 29/40
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 415am, got dressed, had a peanut butter sandwich with a large glass of orange juice. Drove to T2, got there about 530am. Set up T2, then rode bike up to T1 (about 2 miles uphill). Got timing chip, body marks, and swim cap. Got T1 set up. Got wetsuit partially on around 7am. Took Gu at 720am, also drank maybe 1/2 bottle water.
Event warmup:

Riding from T2 to T1. Many people got in the water but I didn't.
Swim
  • 12m 10s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

Running start, wave of 40 people. Felt ok to start, kept head out of water because it was too crazy to try and swim normally. Was feeling fast and passed a few people. Near the first buoy (100m or so), was breathing very hard. Passed buoy and really started to panic, just couldn't catch my breath, wetsuit constricting. Tried to backstroke, but any horizontal position made me feel worse so I just floated vertical for a while and tried to calm down. (I kept telling myself that i was wearing a wetsuit and wouldn't drown.) A kayak support person kept asking if was ok and I responded with thumbs-up and was able to backstroke my way to where I could reach bottom. I took a minute to stand and calm down, then the rest of the swim was good (mostly backstroke).
What would you do differently?:

More open water practice with a wetsuit. I had practiced earlier that week and felt confident (after getting past the freakout moment of swimming in murky water). I simply need more OWS practice.
Transition 1
  • 04m 46s
Comments:

T1 was on the beach. Wetsuit/goggles/swim cap/earplugs off, shirt on (easily), sprayed on some sunscreen (unnecessary as it wound up being cloudy all morning), slipped a Gu in my pocket. Helmet and sunglasses on. Rinsed off feet, shoes on, walk/run with bike...IN THE SAND so my keen bike sandals filled with wet sand. After running over the timing pad I had to stop and shake about a cup of sand from each shoe.

Wouldn't put shoes on until ready to ride bike, rinse feet with water bottle.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 53s
  • 14 miles
  • 13.57 mile/hr
Comments:

Nice course even with the big hill. Took a Gu about 11 miles in. Drank a little over 1/2 water bottle. Should have been under 1 hour if not for sand in shoes issue.

Just after the big downhill started I was a huge jerk and passed someone on the right. I apologized to her in T2, but she was pretty peeved.

As mentioned above, wait to put shoes on until after the beach. I need to work on hills more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Decided to wear socks since I hadn't run enough for my feet to be ready for sockless. Had to sit and use my socks to get the rest of the sand off my feet (didn't want any sand digging in). Socks and shoes on easily, helmet off, visor on, grabbed small water bottle.

Deal with sand at start of bike as stated above. Train more without socks.
Run
  • 36m 39s
  • 5 kms
  • 07m 20s  min/km
Comments:

I walked some, but less than I was expecting to. I actually felt pretty good. I run pretty slow so I pleased with my time. Drank about half of my water.

Train more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the car and back a couple times, drank a little water, had a couple pieces of fruit. Drove to IHOP and had a Philly cheesesteak, it was amazing!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

A very good race for my first tri. Seemed well organized.

Last updated: 2011-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:10 | 500 meters | 02m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 27/40
Overall: 0/330
Performance: Below average
Suit: TYR hurricane 3 (rental)
Course: One clockwise lap around reservoir.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:01:53 | 14 miles | 13.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/40
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: One long grinding hill, with headwind. Otherwise nice, traffic well-controlled.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:39 | 05 kms | 07m 20s  min/km
Age Group: 32/40
Performance: Good
Course: Sidewalks and paved trails, mildly hilly. Aid at halfway point.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-02 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City
Subject: Herriman Black Ridge

2011-08-02 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3626399

User image

SWOH
Subject: RE: Herriman Black Ridge
Congrats on finishing your first tri, especially after the rough start in the swim. You still swam faster than I did in my first tri, and I never stopped or backstroked. When you get the breathing/open water thing down, you're gonna have a great swim split.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Herriman Black Ridge Rss Feed