Ironman
9C / 48F
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 27m 54s
Overall Rank = 319/569
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 31/53
Pre-race routine:

Awake at 3:55am - OMG!!!!! Ate a normal breakfast of Oatmeal, Soy milk and a sliced banana. Went down to lobby of the Calgary Westin for body marking then caught the 4:45am bus to Ghost lake, accompanied by my supportive fanclub (Mum, Hot Wife and 2 sons), 45 mins later got to Ghost Lake and headed straight to the line-up for the portapotti's - nerves were starting to hit!!!
Checked bike in T1, inflated tyres to correct pressure and noted that all the other bikes in my bike rack (allocated by wave and AG) were speed demon TT carbon types, with all the gear. I looked out of place with my aluminum framed Devinci Road Bike with accompanying Camelback water bottles - no aero crap for this guy!!!!!! LOL
Event warmup:

Watched the Pro's start after Anthem was played. Looked around and had an overwhelming feeling that I did'nt belong!!The speed demon bikes didn't help matters!!
Got my Orca 3.8 wetsuit on and got last minute encouragement from family and headed to the jetty area in order to get wet and mentally organized. The 12 minute between Wave 1 and wave 2 (mine) evaporated so quickly and we were called to the start. Got a spot on the right side about mid way in the pack - nerves , uncertainty, doubts kept me from heading to the front row area. Despite being a confident swimmer this was my very first OWS!!!!!!
Swim
  • 43m 20s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

After the horn went I set off at a conservative pace and all my nerves and fears completely disappeared. Had several issues in the early leg with googles (right eye cup) which would'nt seal so had to momentarily stop and fix. Finally got it sorted on the first long leg and stroke relaxed even more. For a first OWS my sighting was great and before I knew it I was at the 2nd buoy, almost half way!! Things continued to go well, as i passed several people from my wave and then surprise - I started to pass people from the wave that started 12 mins ahead - now I truly believed that i belonged. Swum strongly to the finish area and got out of the water with HR well in control and breathing totally normally! My time would have been faster if the 5ish stops for goggle issues had not happened - but overall I was super stoked!!!!!!!
What would you do differently?:

Not alot - can't forsee goggle issues as they were the ones that I normally wear and have'nt ahd problems before. I think I had the swim cap too low over right eye area and goggles could'nt seal properly!! Maybe... who knows???!!!
Transition 1
  • 06m 54s
Comments:

Long transition from boat ramp - T1 - bike start!! Took my time up the ramp and had no problems with wetsuit or getting T1 bag. Put my socks on to avoid rubbing as feet swelled up (knew it was going to get really warm as day progressed),hemet on, number on ... off to get bike!!!
Best news ... lots of speed freak bikes still there!! Awesome!!!!

Jogged to bike mount area and set off on the 94km leg!! Sweet

Not alot - completely new to this distance and only 2nd Tri ever (other was a mini sprint). Could definitely speed up the process and will next year!!!!!
Bike
  • 3h 00m 43s
  • 94 kms
  • 31.21 km/hr
Comments:

Loved the bike leg. Kept everything relaxed and controlled, didn't get distracted by those that did pass me - just focused on my day!!

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 04m 27s
Comments:

Time is inflated as I needed to use the Portapotti ( no line-up), but get into pee position takes time in a one-piece tri suit!!! You know what I mean

Nothing - maybe pee quicker!!!!
Run
  • 2h 36m 59s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 07m 26s  min/km
Comments:

Run started really well and maintaind my goal pace of 6:30/km until about 7 km. then the dreaded knee pain that arose last sunday started to hit. Heat was also climbing steadily and topped out at 28C. Could not run up hills on out leg due to stress on left knee, so walk them all. Stopped at ever aid station, put ice in run hat to keep head cool (worked awesome), took on fluids (Ironman Perform) and used ice cold sponges under shoulder area of tri-suit. At the mid way point I was slightly behind goal pace but every step was getting me closer to my goal. Pain in knee on return leg intensified and I could not run down the hills either, due to the stresses induced. Ran as much as possible. The last 3km were so long but I was determined to get there. Ran most of last 1km (totally due to spectator support) then saw the finish area ahead! Put on a strong finish for my ever supportive family and felt like I was sprinting - wrong.. saw the video of my finish and omg was I going so slow!!! I laugh at it now

Run pain free
Post race
Warm down:

Felt totally amazing hearing my name being announced as I croosed the line. Greeted by awesome volunteers and got my finishers medal and tee-shirt!! Took my Hammer Recoverite drink and legs and rest of body felt awesome next day except the knee which stiffened up alot)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knee pain on run, plus I only started running 7 months ago... Overall uber happy!!!

Event comments:

The organization staff and volunteers,RCMP etc were absolutely fantastic. Every one was amazingly supportive and went above and beyond to make the athletes progress as easy as possible. The whole course is amazingly beautiful and very challenging - which was great!!! I recommend the Calgary 70.3 Ironman to everyone - newbie to pro - you will not be disappointed!!

I loved every minute of it - even the pain!!! So proud, happy, ecstatic of my performance. My transition from 48 yr old overweight unfit couch potato to HIM finisher is complete. I kow believe that I definitely deserved to be there at that start line and can't wait for next year!!!!!!!!! AWESOME - BRING IT ON!!!!LOL

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:20 | 1900 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 24/53
Overall: 249/569
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca 3.8
Course: One loop - straight out from boat ramp start, left turn and long straight leg under bridge. Right turn, short leg, right turn, long straight leg, back under bridge, right turn and back to the left side of boat ramp
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 17C / 63F Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:54
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:00:43 | 94 kms | 31.21 km/hr
Age Group: 25/53
Overall: 241/569
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: From T1 area there is approx 1km of flat 9across the bridge), then first of many hills. For the next approx 60km it rolling hills, lots of false flats as well as down hills - duh!!! Started off in a moderately low gear (big ring) in order to get legs spinning. Drank after 10 mins (Gu Brew Blueberry Pomegranate 2x sodium) then followed plan of drinking every 20 mins and Gu Gels/Chomps every 40 mins. Noted that TT bikes are great going down and ond flats but my alloy road bike served me well on the hills ( and there were lots) - passed several people in these areas. The climb out of Cochrane is very long which suited me very well!! Had no issues and kept HR in low Zone 3 for the majority of the ride and spun up the hills hitting mid Zone 4!!! totally comfortable throughout!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:36:59 | 21.1 kms | 07m 26s  min/km
Age Group: 39/53
Overall: 414/569
Performance: Average
Course: Picturesque, out and back course around Glenmore Reservoir!!! A mix of flats and hills, some of the latter were absolute killers!!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes