Tuxedo Brothers
81F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 22m 1s
Overall Rank = 49/505
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/63
Pre-race routine:

I was thrown out of any routine for this race with all the travel required to get there. Over 6 hours of driving over 2 days and not having a real good breakfast had some adverse issues I would guess.
I ate a "meal replacement bar for breakfast spread out about 1 hour before the race and took a Gatorade Prime 15 minutes before I started. When I woke up I still felt a little full from supper and rally didn't think I should eat a lot before the race.
Event warmup:

I walked out the transition area and planned my entries and exits to make sure I took advantage of the wide lanes and a take as few numbers of turns as possible.
I ran about a mile at a slow pace progressing to a moderate pace. Then once I arrived at the swim start, I used the extra time to get a good warm up in to protect my shoulder. I would guess I got 500 yards at a mostly slow pace with a short little burst at race speed.
Swim
  • 27m 19s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wanted to try and stick to the plan I had at last week's sprint by keeping things under control and rhythmic throughout the course. I thought it worked quite well last week and figured it ought to work for a longer distance a little better.
The first couple of hundred meters I stayed at a quick but controlled pace and had to keep thinking about it for that same distance until I had a rhythm established. I stayed in this pattern for the rest of the swim and it seemed much quicker than last years race. (I haven't checked the RR from last year to compare the time yet.)
I found a few people to draft about halfway through the race but only because I wanted to take a breather before I passed them. The rests were short, maybe 4-8 strokes at different times, and I only did this 3 times throughout the entire course. I didn't want to get hung up behind anyone for very long after I had already caught them. I did have a guy try to hang with me after I drafted off of him but I dropped him after about 100 yards of coming along side him.
What would you do differently?:

I might have tried to swim slightly harder for whole course. This is a retrospective look form the Monday morning quarterback chair but I am not sure I went as hard as I could have.
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

It was a decent transition. There wasn't a lot to do but I do remember feeling a little confused about something but even now I don't know what or why I felt this way.

Nothing. Pretty good transition. (With all the competitors the T area is a long one.)
Bike
  • 1h 07m 32s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.08 mile/hr
Comments:

The course dictated some slow downs at many points based on the road conditions. If this were a decent course over the entire length I could have had a better, faster ride.
I should have ridden this a little bit harder than I did. After talking to Lis about the ride after the race she said I looked like I was having fun. Obviously I want to have fun but this is a race, I want to suffer during a race. That's what makes it fun....I guess?!?!
Te first loop was a little slower than the second loop and I wish I had hammered bit with the same level of intensity. The first loop I was thinking too much about leaving some in the tank for the run. I should have rode with less effort and allowed the cards to fall a little differently. I think the race would have had a slightly different outcome in my time.
Another thing that I would liked to have seen happen differently was the end of the bike leg. I followed 2 people into the dismount area at an extremely slow speed. The last .20 miles had me a 9.9 MPH. That is ridiculous!!!! There was no chance for a dismount official to SCREAM stop at me this race. This very likely cost me 30 seconds because I would have been flying into the area at at least 18-19 mph.

Ride harder through the whole course. Doing an even effort should be what I am striving for.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Timing wise this might have been a decent time but I think I made a few minor mistakes. I wasn't confused at this transition. T1 was kind of weird I guess.

I need to start looking at taking my helmet off during the run into transition! (I have never thought about doing this until the writing of this RR.) I can see how this might give me a couple of seconds of "free time" from the overall results.
I also should have racked my bike from the same side my shoes were on. I was on the end of the rack, second bike in and thought it might be easier to throw it up on the rack (hanging from the seat) and run around and grab my shoes. I don't really know if this would have made any difference at all but right now it seems like it wasn't the best of ideas.
Run
  • 45m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

It looks like I had only one lap that was out of line. This information helps me settle a little bit on my performance. I have been kind of upset that I didn't run harder but I am not sure I could have done much better.
My pacing was a little weak from the start of the race and I might have been able to cut about :30 off the run overall based on how I felt after the run.
The first mile was a total sufferfest, as it usually is for my races. I hung on and tried get control of my pacing as opposed to a spring race. the first .20 miles of the run were under 7:00 and much of it was 6:45. I knew that sub-seven was not something I could hold over the distance and tried get down to a reasonable effort level before I crashed. I had things under control by the end of the first mile.
During the first mile I couldn't get enough air into my lungs, as is usually the case. I was straining to get enough air and taking deep breaths was impossible to do. I always hate the run start but I love the feeling after I finish to know I left it all out there.
I would liked to have had a better 4th mile but I relaxed a little too much and talked to another runner for about a qtr. of a mile and then dropped him.

Stay focused on my race and stay in my pain zone, not relax and pace the whole run the same.
Post race
Warm down:

I gasped for air at the finish, walked around a short while, gulped several small cups of water and Gatorade and then took a cooling dip in the canal.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Personal ambition! I am not really sure what my deal was today. My mind didn't seem to want it today. Lack of sleep last night (domestic disturbance at 3 AM outside our hotel), a lot of traveling and other activity yesterday and poor pre-race nutrition were likely all contributing factors.

Event comments:

I have been stewing about my lack of performance today for a much of the day and taking the time to review my data has helped me reconcile with my results and realize I was not far off my game today. I was disappointed that I didn't have a faster overall time at first but now I understand the bike was a "correct" olympic distance rather than the mile or so shorter than that last year.
My overall placement was really good but my AG placement disappoints me. I really think a tri-bike would have brought me up a place or two. I guess I am satisfied......kinda.....almost.

Last updated: 2010-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:19 | 1640 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/63
Overall: 65/505
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Tri-short/top
Course: This is a point to point swim along the downtown canal. Very spectator friendly!
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:07:32 | 24.85 miles | 22.08 mile/hr
Overall: 100/505
Avg. HR 153/Max 184 I noticed my HR was not looking correct and realized my monitor was around my waist from the swim. Fixed it and the HR regulated itself.
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop course with extremely rough roads in many spots. The roads are the downfall of this race and I hope they get fixed before next year.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:45:06 | 06.21 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 54/505
Avg HR 157/Max 165 Mile 1 - 7:12 Mile 2 - 7:19 Mile 3 - 7:19 Mile 4 - 7:28 Ridiculous!!! Mile 5 - 7:22 Mile 6 - 7:05 Last .22 - 6:40
Course: 2 loop course along the White River. Mostly flat but seemed to gain elevation slightly on the way out and grade back down to the transition/finish area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-07 6:32 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: Tri Indy

2011-08-09 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3632928

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: RE: Tri Indy

Looks like a good race, I would take 10 in an AG group of that size any time.  Of course with your ability I'm sure you were pushing for higher.  Must of been something in the air for "domestic disturbance"  We had a similar problem in New York at 2am the same day.

Keep up the good work!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Indy Rss Feed