Raise the Bar LLC
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 12m 12s
Overall Rank = 41/94
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Showed up late, hurrying to get my packet and tranistion set up.
Event warmup:

rode my bike from the parking lot to registration...
Swim
  • 21m 14s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Left my wetsuit in the car, not enough time to get it. Swim went well, no complaints, felt great in the water without a warm up. Took it kinda easy but knew when to accelerate and keep my swim in my target time
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Didn't use clip ins, relaxed in transistion. I left my camel back open on accident and had to zip it closed. Everything else was set up excelent.
Bike
  • 1h 49m 59s
  • 15 miles
  • 8.18 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out all right, had to focus on taking care of business and half-way through the first lap I jumped off my bike and over a log and twisted my right ankle. I was a little distracted at first and was wondering what I should do and I decided to pedal and see how it felt. I lost a lot of power and it bugged me on an off on the bike but it wasn't too bad. I know I lost some time because of the injury. I scraped a few trees leaning too close to the corners, shoulder and thigh bruises and scrapes. Other than that the course was really fun albeit there were a lot of very rocky sections and it was hard to keep the speed up. I also developed two blisters on my thumbs from my grip shifts but those didn't slow me down.
What would you do differently?:

Get long finger gloves
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Relaxed and made sure to take off wet socks and shoes. Put on new socks and running shoes
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Run
  • 56m 58s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out limping pretty bad but my ankle eventually warmed up and I could almost run without a limp. My core was feeling the mountain bike, it hit me harder than regular road riding and bugged me for a good 20 minutes. I rolled my ankle a little bit a few times on loose rocks and tried to keep upright as much as possible. About 1/4 through the run we were attacked by bees. Only two bee stings, thank goodness I am not alergic. The rest of the run was focusing on keeping good form and focusing on footing. About 3/4 the way through I twisted my left ankle and then kicked a downed log with my left foot. I fell over and told myself to focus and then ran by the bees again with only 1 sting this time. The run was almost done and I tried to focus on form and caught a fellow age grouper in my age to pass him and hold him off. Finished strong with a downhill run, no more twisted ankles.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with my dad, ate food and looked for Andrea so I could cheer her on for her first Olympic distance race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

injuries, not enough time after previous race, core strenth.

Event comments:

great volunteers and plenty of drinks and energy gels.

Last updated: 2011-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:14 | 1094 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 40/94
Performance:
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: Out to an island and back, rocky shores slowed us down a bit
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:49:59 | 15 miles | 8.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 46/94
Wind:
Course: winding course with a lot of bumpy rocky areas. All in all it was a technical course
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:56:58 | 06.2 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 46/94
N/A
Course: 2 lap figure 8, about 10 hills total, steep short hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-08 12:12 PM

User image

Ellensburg, WA
Subject: XTERRA Black Diamond

2011-08-08 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3634132

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: RE: XTERRA Black Diamond

With the bee stings, the fall, the abrasions, the sprained ankle...was it fun?

How did mtn biking differ from what you expected?

2011-08-08 4:17 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Sounds like a rugged race but I didn't see any areas where it sounded like you were complaining of problems.  I guess to me it sounds like an Xterra race, but then I really know next to nothing about them.

You placed well in your AG and with all the trouble with you ankles I think you did very well.  Sticking with it through the ankles, bees and other problems shows an aggressive toughness.

Congrats on a really good race.

2011-08-08 11:08 PM
in reply to: #3634338

User image

Ellensburg, WA

The mnt biking differed from what I expected because it wasn't as fun as I hoped. I always really enjoy the trail and I didn't feel like I could enjoy it when I was racing. Maybe if I got better and did more races I could enjoy the experience but this was a bit too new to enjoy.

I really tried to focus on beating this challenge, and the course threw all it had at me. Not too sure how I feel about a repeat. It beat me up pretty good.

2011-08-09 10:17 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Sounds like a tough race.  Like you said, the off-road stuff is WAY different from the road events.  There is so much more you have to keep track of and maintan focus on.  There is always some crazy technical thing thrown at you either on the bike or on the run.  Your start was rough (being late and having to rush to the start line)  I am sure that did not help the race expereince.  The bees you encountered sounds like it added to the mental challenge.  Congrats on grinding through it.  Hopefully you'll try another one and have a better experience but none the less technically challenging.
2011-08-09 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3635175

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

The first off road race I did beat me up really bad too.  I decided that mtn biking wasn't for me...never again.  But a year later I did the race again at the prodding of a friend.  I rode the mtn bike once before that race (and crashed a couple of times, hit trees, got bloody).  But after that second race something switched inside me and I decided I wanted to beat mtn biking rather than having mtn biking beat me.  So I bought a bike. 

The course that seemed extreme to the max now seems fun and I ride it often without putting a foot down.  It amazes me what we can adapt to given persistence.

But don't feel like you need to accomplish this mtn biking thing.  If you do, it just means less podium spots for the other guys...so stay on the road! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Black Diamond Rss Feed