United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m 22s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Mixed Relay
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

This was a little tough since it was about a 2.5 hour drive away. Got up and had my coffee, and brought a cup for the road. Ate a full pb+j sammich around 5:15 a.m. Got to the race site and we got all our stuff situated, picked up the timing chip etc. Had a Gu and a bottle of water before the swim.
Event warmup:

They were really late getting the buoys out into the water, AND it was pretty dark, so I only had time to get in and swim maybe 200 yards total.
Swim
  • 14m 59s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

The last leg of the swim was a long straight swim from the buoy to the swim exit. I thought I was swimming right towards the flags when I ran into some sharp seaweed stuff and starting hitting my hands on some good sized rocks underwater. Got out of that stuff quick, it HURT! There were only 3 waves and they were 5 minutes apart so I had open water pretty much the whole time. I was very glad the water wasn't HOT... if I had swam as an AGer, I would have been 4/16 women.
What would you do differently?:

Get out faster to avoid any body contact. There were only 7 of us in my wave, no reason to run into each other!
Transition 1
  • 00m 24s
Comments:

Ran into transtion and Tammy took off the timing strap and put it on Gerard. Then he was off!

Nothing... a bit tricky getting out of the water until I made it to the carpet, but I think I did this as fast as possible.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 13s
  • 22 miles
  • 17.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Gerard did this leg of the relay and he worked it hard! He was just a tad sweaty when he came in and said the wind was really bad out there... headwinds and crosswinds. Not any tailwind...
Transition 2
  • 00m 17s
Comments:

Tammy and I waited in transition for Gerard to come in. The team that came in before him exchanged the timing chip right inside the transition area although we were told we had to do that at the bike rack where he had his bike. We did it the legal way... and STILL had a blazing fast transition! I took the chip off Gerard and placed it on Tammy and she was GONE!

Nothing, we did this one great!
Run
  • 46m 27s
  • 4.8 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Poor Tammy had the roughest leg of all... by the time she started it was almost 9 a.m. and the sun was up and HOT. Then her foot nerve started complaining, but she was a trooper and brought it in strong! Then found out that the 4.4 mile run, somehow turned into 4.8!

Have Tammy get her foot surgically fixed, ha ha!!
Post race
Warm down:

None, we hung around waiting for the awards, had some water, and grilled hot dogs, MMMM! Sat in the shade and tried not to sweat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really.... we had to deal with wind and heat, but we all did our share and did it well! We had a GREAT team!!

Event comments:

For a first time race, I thought it went very smoothly. The only SNAFU was when it came to the awards... when I went to check on the relay preliminary results, they had us listed as a "female" relay team. I don't think Gerard would have appreciated that much! So I went to the timing people and told them we were a mixed team, and the next time I checked the results, ALL the relay teams were mixed. I went back and the timing company said they were fixing that, so I let it go. They had out awards to the top 3 men and women, and then only give first place awards to the AGers? Said they wanted all the money to go to their charity (cancer). They get to the relay teams last and give out ONE award... to the top relay team which happened to be all male... so we didn't get our first place Mixed Relay award, but I emailed the race director who was hugely apologetic and he is mailing us our award!!

All in all a great race with a great team. I'm going to consider doing this one on my own next year... it's not quite an Oly, but definitely longer than a sprint...

Last updated: 2011-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:59 | 1000 meters | 01m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Race Speedo Swim Suit
Course: Swam out at an angle to the right, turned left at the first buoy, left at the next, then a long straight swim to the swim exit. This was NOT 1000 meters, it was definitely short... or I turned into Michael Phelps overnight.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:24
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:13 | 22 miles | 17.32 mile/hr
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Out and back with rolling hills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:17
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:27 | 04.8 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Course: Out and back with a "lollipop" loop on the run out to the turnaround. Almost totally in full sun, with some long inclined hills up to the dam.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes