Racine Multisports
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 52m 5s
Overall Rank = 40/125
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/19
Pre-race routine:

Up around 4AM and out the door at 4:45. For some reason I was feeling very negative, worrying about the rain, wishing I had just ditched the race, etc. Still, after getting our great neighbor to watch the girls for me, and in order to keep up on Savageman prep, I knew I had to make a go of it.
Event warmup:

Mostly tried to banish the negative thoughts, nothing worked until I jumped in the water!
Swim
  • 31m 30s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

Very rough start. I need to remember to start seeding myself off to the side, closer to the front, something in order to avoid so much contact. Also, I'd worn clear goggles since it was so overcast leading up to the start, and of course as soon as I jumped in the water the sun came out. Still, once things settled down I felt really comfortable on the swim. When the sun was in my eyes I just followed feet the best I could. The second lap felt even better than the first, so I was feeling a lot better about the day heading into T1.
What would you do differently?:

Wear my shaded goggles.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Nothing dramatic here, just struggled a bit getting the wetsuit off.

I haven't been doing enough wetsuit swims, so I've been pretty rusty on t1 times.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 9s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.34 mile/hr
Comments:

So here was my first race with the new compact crank. I had done the course previously with a standard 53/39, and was able to get up Raven Rock, but in 1st gear and turning pretty slow. I took it easy heading out, and five minutes in had my Gu chomps. I love those things. Some minor hills heading out, and then the turn to head down the mountain. I took it a little easy, since there were still wet areas on the shoulder, the Garmin shows I maxed at a little under 36MPH. The valley portion was as I remembered from a practice ride I did last year, lots of false flats but overall a fun portion of the ride. Then, the real test, back up 491. Remembering how hard it had been last year, I went to 2nd or 3rd gear right off the bat, and was shocked at how easy it was to spin. I actually upshifted, and was very happy with my exertion and speed up the hill. Passed a bunch of folks here, so I'm glad I made the switch to a compact.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Felt really good coming into T2, felt just as good heading out.

Nothing.
Run
  • 56m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugh. Felt great until I hit the first small hill, and then the humidity just started killing me. Not a lot of elevation, but it sure felt like it. I might have passed a couple of folks, but was passed a TON on the run. A little discouraging, since I've really improved my running, but maybe not enough outside training this summer, since I've been wimping out and doing treadmill runs. I'd been thinking starting out that I had a shot at breaking 2:50, but heading into the second lap I knew that wasn't going to happen. Would have been close, but my Garmin also showed the course being a little over 6.4 miles. I was really glad to finish!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit with the iced towel (nice!), and ran into someone from my running club out supporting his wife. Had to pack up pretty quick thought to head back home to the kids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The stress of single-parenting for the week leading up to the race (hooray for my wife returning from her trip!) Lack of outdoor training in the humidity.

Event comments:

Fun event, challenging bike course.

Last updated: 2010-11-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:30 | 1500 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/19
Overall: 45/125
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Two loops in a small lake, getting out to run in between laps.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:09 | 24.8 miles | 18.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/19
Overall: 38/125
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back, pretty much down the mountain, tooling around the valley, and then back up the mountain.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:56:41 | 06.21 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/19
Overall: 50/125
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loops through the grounds of Ft. Ritchie.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes