United States
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 41s
Overall Rank = 32/67
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 12/25
Pre-race routine:

This race had a 9:00 am start with a 8:00 am mandatory meeting and it was about an hour away from where I am staying. I got up at about 5:20 am had some greek yogurt and blueberries and a cup of coffee which is my typical breakfast. We left at 6:20am and I hydrated some with plain water on the drive, ate 1/2 luna bar upon arrival at 7:30 am and the other half about 8:15 am. This was my first triathlon so I don't really have a "routine" however this one worked so I will stick to it for my next one in a couple of weeks.
Event warmup:

I didn't do much warming up. We walked about a half mile from where we had to park and then I did some light stretching. I felt fine without any warm up,
Swim
  • 19m 41s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was happy to finish strong, not panic, and swim steady freestyle the entire way. My goal for the swim was to stay relaxed and swim strong and if I was slow that was OK. I felt accomplished with my performance.
What would you do differently?:

With my first swim under my belt I will focus a bit more on speed in the future. I also just need more time in the pool. I was only able to train maybe once a week and only in a pool.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

I was surprised at how fast both of my transitions were. I felt good about this transition, I took time to put my gloves on, and it didn't take too much time. I don't know if I would have missed them but I would probably do it again. It took me a couple of seconds to get clipped into my pedals, so i bet that could go smoother.

Nothing I can think of.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 16s
  • 23 miles
  • 19.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I ROCKED it on the bike! I averaged 19.6 mph and felt really strong. I passes so many people and found myself riding up front with the stronger bikers. This was my first bike race and I really have boosted my confidence in my riding abilities! I rented a brand new bike from a local shop, and now I want a new bike :) I ate a gel around the 10 mile mark and washed it down with Gatorade, which was a little too strong. I will water it down a bit more next time.

I would have made it into the top 10 women if I were 20 seconds faster, next time...I was VERY happy with my bike performance!!! I didn't train on the bike as much as I would have liked. So I am excited to see how I will preform with proper training.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

I didn't know exactly where to dismount. I saw the signs but it seemed by the time I slowed down enough I was at the end of the dismount zone and had to come to a dead stop. I was able to run my bike right away. The past few weeks my lower back has been giving my problems (sore, stiff, etc). I have really felt it coming off the bike but it was not a concern this time. I was shocked, I felt really good, not too tired and still felt strong. I grabbed a gel for the run.

Practice racking my bike, it was not smooth, I had some difficultly getting it back on the rack.
Run
  • 52m 36s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I would get passed a bunch on the run. I am a slow runner and I had hoped to run 11 min miles so I was very happy with my 10:31 min. miles. I really didn't know I was running that fast and was pleasantly surprised at my time. I typically run races in the 10 min mile range so this was a average run for me, however I was happy with that pace especially after swimming and running!

I could have done some pick-ups along the way especially on the downhill. I was unfamiliar with the route and there were no mile markers so I didn't want to go out to fast, so didn't push it too much for fear that I would get real tired and have to walk. Which I didn't. In the future I will push harder on the run and I feel like I can get my time down into the 9's if I do some speed training.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around for a bit and drank some Gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mind...this was my first tri so i just wanted to finish and was not experienced in how I would really feel during all the different parts. Next time I know I will make up time on the bike and I will have to push it more on the run so I don't lose my position.

Event comments:

This race was really well organized, The pre race meeting was at 8am and there was a lot of time between that and start time at 9am. The individual transition area was a bit small, we could have used more bike racks. The food was great, burgers, brats, pasta, chips form a local restaurant (free for athletes & volunteers, $5 for spectators). I liked getting a print out of my splits right away. Super fun race! I will do it again next year!

Last updated: 2011-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:41 | 800 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/25
Overall: 37/67
Performance: Average
Suit: TYR 2 piece suite
Course: This was my first real open water swim and it looked so FAR away! I swam out the the first buoy and rounded the corner, I had trouble spotting the second buoy and kept trying to sight it but due to foggy goggles or something it took me many tries to catch a glimpse. After I rounded the second buoy I was finally in a rhythm and felt pretty strong in the last stretch and not too tired coming out of the water.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:10:16 | 23 miles | 19.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/25
Overall: 12/67
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: An out and back with a 3 mile loop added to the front end. We rode to the end of US 41 the looped around passed the transition area, rode out to a state park along Lake Superior and turned around. There were a few rolling hills but nothing like what I am used to in WNC.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:36 | 05 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/25
Overall: 47/67
Performance: Average
Course: The run started on trail then ran uphill on the road back to the end of US 41 then it went up a dirt road. At 2.5 miles we turned around and ran back. Much of the run was in full sun and was gradual uphills and downhills. Many people were walking up the hills. I train on hills so there were no big deal to me and I had no problem running them
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes