General Discussion Race Reports! » Fronhofer Tool Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fronhofer Tool Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cambridge, New York
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 54m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

At my banana 2 hours before the race. Usual check of equipment, making sure I had everything.
Swim
  • 29m 14s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first congested start to a tri. It was a new experience getting kicked and kicking people but I didn't find it as bad as I expected. I did hang near the back of the pack as swimming isn't my strong sport.

I had one guy in front of me that would speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down. So I kept catching him and he started kicking even harder. Finally decided to put a little steam into my swim and get around him as he was just getting in the way. Coming out of the water on the first lap was very strange sensation having to know I was going back in. But it's great practice for the IMLP.

Getting into the second lap I took my time getting to the deapth of the water where I could swim. There were some guys that were doing dolphin entries but weren't going any faster than me and seemed to be exerting a LOT more energy...so I just walked. :)

Half way through the second lap started getting a bit tired and did some side strokes for a minute to rest. Go going again and finished strong.

What would you do differently?:

The wetsuit was optional and I decided to wear it. Not sure if that was the right choice but I know I'm not a strong swimmer without it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

I was so happy and yet so mad at the same time. Going into the transition area I dropped my goggles trying to get them off my head, so I had to stop and pick them up.

I got my suit off and helmet on at the same time...it was flawless if I can say so myself. I was out of the transition area in a jiffy and knew it too.

Went to jump on my bike and I never undid the Velcro to my shoes! ARGH! So I had to get off the side and undo those, thankfully it was a sharp corner out of the transition so it's not like I lost a lot of time there.

Not drop my goggles and make sure my shoes are ready to go!
Bike
  • 1h 17m 23s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew my bike was going to be good. The downhills lead into uphills (for a majority of them) so for a clyde I can use my weight to carry me up the hill a ways.

Mile 10 I started having some back soreness and really had to stretch out quite a bit on the course.

Mile 20 I started having some cramping issues in my stomach. At least I think it was cramping...not really sure just knew I didn't feel the greatest.

Stop paying attention to people behind me...I turn around too much killing my momentum.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Ugh, this is where it all started to fall apart for me. My back was so sore by time I got to the transition that I just came to a complete stop and slowly got off the bike. Did run it to the rack though.

Once to the rack I bent over to put my shoes on and my stomach was just churning at this point. I could barely stand it was such a weird sensation. I decided to sit down to put my sneakers on.

Got them on, grabbed my bib and off I went.
Run
  • 1h 05m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Kiss the good time good bye. I was doing great heading into the run and then just fell apart. I'm not sure what was going on with my stomach at this point...all I knew is that it was BAD!

I felt like my stomach was sloshing around and just very uncomfortable during the run. I got about 1.5 miles out and I had to walk, I couldn't handle it anymore. While walking my stomach would rest up, so I'd start running again and did this for the course of 6 miles.

I dry heaved a couple times, I had Gu coming up at one point, I was a wreck for some reason.
Post race
Warm down:

Well, I wanted to throw up all over the place pretty much so I didn't do any warming down...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stomach

Event comments:

Absolutely fantastic, well run, well put together. Will be doing this one in the future.

Last updated: 2011-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:14 | 1640 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Wetsuit
Course: 2 laps.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:17:23 | 24.85 miles | 19.27 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: 1 big loop with some hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
01:05:28 | 06.21 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back with a couple gradual hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes