Premier Event Management
81F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 11s
Overall Rank = 36/1177
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/128
Pre-race routine:

I noticed my power numbers on my bike training go waaaay down on tuesday this week. I though I might be burned out, but turned out I was getting sick with a sinus infection. Thursday it came on hard. I didn't do anything since quitting mid-workout on Tuesday. So my prep for this race was not what I wanted it to be. Honestly, I didn't think I was going to do the race. I felt worse on Friday and on Saturday. I felt a little better in the morning Sunday. Since I had to go to the race sight anyway for my wife I decided to race. Up until just before I went off I was just going to run along with my wife. At the last second I just decided to give it a go and see what I could do. I was top 10 in my AG last year and really wanted a podium spot this year at this race. I knew that wasn't going to happen being sick, but decided to give it shot anyway. Oh well, I was close!

Event warmup:

I didn't know they opened the water for warmup. If I did I would have been down there, since my first 400 meters of the day are usually brutally hard and slow. I figured there was no hope for a good finish anyway with being sick so I wasn't too concerned. So, no warmup and no workouts since Tuesday. I literally walked to the water and went!
Swim
  • 08m 36s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 09s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not bad for no warmup. This swim is always tough, since the TT start is supposed to go by projected swim times. People constantly lie about their times in order to go off earlier in the day. Seems no matter when you go off there are people who project 7 minutes and get 100m out and are gasping for air already!! It pisses me off, because I end up swimming into them and having to navigater around them. Sometimes it's walls of them and it takes significant time to swim around. A straight shot would have been much faster for me. Given the circumstances today, I'll take this swim.
What would you do differently?:

Lie about my swim time too so I don't have to deal with the jerks who clogg up the course!
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

No problems here. Quick transition with the long run from the water Got to high 5 my wife on the way out. She was racked 4 spots down and was less than 30sec behind me out of the water! Definitely a race highlight! :)

Remember to charge my garmin so I have battery for the bike, and remember to turn it on before the race this time.
Bike
  • 35m 50s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 22.89 mile/hr
Comments:

My power numbers have been down all week so I didn't expect to do better than last year and I didn't. I'm sure some of it was the wind too, because it was much more headwind this year.

Not be sick! :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Another quick transition and nothing to worried about. The transition area for 1200 people is HUGE so to have anything around a minute for T2 I'm happy.

nothing
Run
  • 20m 9s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

With the sinus infection I knew this would be the roughest part of the tri. Overall, I'm happy I kept it right below the redline the whole time. My asthma was acting up and I was weasing pretty bad due to the sinus infection, but I put it out of my mind and got into a pace. Definitely, would have been faster if I weren't sick, but because of all the running I did this year it was still better than last years time.

Not be sick! :)
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sinus infection, lack of training this week, and lack of warmup

Event comments:

I thought this race was run much better this year. Last year, not only did the swim get congested but the bike was really bad too. This year it was just the swim. The organizers at least tried to discourage people from lieing about their projected swim times. They seemed to have things moving pretty good on the bike though. There were only a few blockers.

Overall, I'm pretty happy on 6th place. I was looking for a podium, but my race luck has been horible. I'm not surprised I got sick for the race. Even still, I think I had a pretty good result for being sick.

Last updated: 2011-01-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:36 | 400 meters | 02m 09s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/128
Overall: 263/1177
Performance: Below average
Suit: DeSoto Liftfoil
Course: zig zag course. 3 byou turns
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:50 | 13.67 miles | 22.89 mile/hr
Overall: 35/1177
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: 2 loop course
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:09 | 03.1 miles | 06m 30s  min/mile
Overall: 57/1177
Performance: Average
Course: 5K loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-08-14 3:56 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: Naperville Sprint Triathlon

2011-08-14 6:18 PM
in reply to: #3643100

User image

Expert
Canada
Subject: RE: Naperville Sprint Triathlon
Nice race, Brian...that 5k is fast, by my books!
2011-08-14 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Seems like being under the weather is standard fare for you in this event.  Also seems like smoking fast times are standard.  Nice job on the race.

2011-08-15 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3643276

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
croixfan - 2011-08-14 7:06 PM

Seems like being under the weather is standard fare for you in this event.  Also seems like smoking fast times are standard.  Nice job on the race.

hahaha!! Seems like if I train and I'm at my best I get dealt bad circumstance. If I'm sick, or spend the week before drinking and partying I do pretty well! This is become standard for me on raceday! LOL One of these days things are going to click and I'll have a good race. I was maybe a minute faster than last year here. With the gains in my training I should have been more than that. But being sick and with the wind on that bike course I'll take this result ALL DAY!!! I'm really happy and had a great time. My wife had a PR on the run, and both of us went home really excited! Greath Race!!!

thanks guys!

Curt......smokin' fast on that run, WOW how you have improved your running! great job man!
2011-08-15 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Hey, nice job.  Overall finish was great.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Naperville Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed