GA Multisports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 18s
Overall Rank = 319/621
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/35
Pre-race routine:

I got up at the crack of stupid, 3:45, and did my normal pre-ride routine. I knew I'd have 3 hours between eating and the start of the race so I had a cup of coffee and a PB&J waffle sandwich.

Sheila picked me up at 4:45 and we were off to Athens.
Event warmup:

Nothing. I usually get in the water but a warm-up seemed almost pointless because we had to start lining up at 6:50 and my wave didn't start until 7:16. We stood around and chatted on the beach. Met a couple of Sheila's friends and saw my daughters' PE teacher.
Swim
  • 11m 32s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

What an abysmal swim. It was ugly. But I don't mean my swim performance, I felt pretty good throughout. I mean my wave in general. I seeded myself in the middle to the outside thinking I'd have clear water and could go around women if I needed to. That never happened.

The gun went off and we waded in to start. I quickly realized I had not chosen a good spot because there were slower women all around and I was stuck. I started to swim and almost immediately I came up on a woman doing breastroke. *rant* I understand breastroke being the "go-to" stroke. I get it. I've even used it on occasion with small frog kicks. But when that is your only stroke, why swim in the middle? Just please start in the back or on the outside so the rest of don't get kicked. *end rant*

It was crowded. Based on my time I want this swim to have measured long but I know in the back of my mind it probably wasn't. The first 150 yards of this swim was just ugly. I got kicked in the chest, someone tried to swim over my legs until I could get away and it was very crowded. The only positive thing was that it was bad for everyone in the wave. Out of 35 women in my AG, only 4 went under 10:00 for 400y. For my wave (35-39 and 40-44) there were only 11 women out of 81 women under 10:00.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know. I've seeded myself near the front before and I had trouble with faster swimmers coming up behind me. I've started in the back but then I catch a lot of the slower folks. This time I thought I had a good spot but I guess I should have started closer to the front. Even with my low swim volume I can still swim under 2:00/100y any day, especially for only 400y.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

This transition felt faster but it was such a long transition area, it was a long run from my rack to the exit. I considered running to the end of transition holding my bike shoes so I didn't have to run so far in my shoes but decided that I would probably block the way for someone else.

Nothing. This was a decent transition for me.
Bike
  • 46m 19s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.14 mile/hr
Comments:

This was actually a pretty good bike for me and I know I could have done it faster. I actually held back in a couple places and chanted "don't burn all your matches." The part of the course on 441 was great and the back roads loop was hilly. I liked the hills because it kept me from getting bored and I could catch A LOT of people on the hills. I'm a decent climber so this helped me.

I wanted to go sub-45 for this ride and I didn't miss it by much. I know I'm capable of that time but I knew I didn't want to blow up. I usually take a gel at the beginning of the ride but decided to skip it this time. I drank just over half my bottle of water and felt good.

Not much. My bike training has been haphazard all summer so this was a really good ride for me. I *know* I could have done it faster but knocking a minute or two off this ride might have meant suffering on the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Not too bad. I decided ahead of time I was going to put on socks for the run so that probably slowed me down. Not getting blisters was worth the extra 15 seconds it might have taken me.

Luckily, I didn't have far to go from the entrance to transition so a short run in my bike shoes. I racked my bike, got my shoes off, took off my glasses and helmet and got my socks and shoes on. I clipped on my race belt and grabbed my hat and fixed it as I was moving.

Try to move faster. But honestly, it would be challenging to go much faster.
Run
  • 29m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was advertised as "flat and fast." Well, it wasn't but it's not a big deal. Of course, I was thinking the hills sucked when I was doing it but I liked that we ran one loop instead of looping around twice in the park.

I started running and was feeling pretty good but I think I started out a little too fast. I glanced at my watch at the beginning and knew I'd have to run a sub-30 min 5k to get close to my goal time. My running has been more consistent lately and I feel like I have gotten faster so I thought it was possible. Anyone who knows me knows the run has always been a problem for me. I always give up spots on the run. Always. And this race wasn't any different. Although, I don't think I gave up as many spots, I think 5 women in my AG passed me. I saw them pass me and I couldn't step up the pace. I ran behind one woman and matched her step-to-step for a bit but I couldn't keep it up when we hit the first big hill.

I took one 1' break around the 10' mark and another up part of another hill around the 20' mark. Around the backside of the loop we had to run down a very steep part of the road and I yelled to the volunteers that I was glad we didn't have to run up that part! After that hill the road flattened out and I tried to pick up the pace. My HR was high but still in a manageable range so I pushed when I could. We turned left to go back in to the park and to the finish. I was pushing it and there were so many people along both sides of the road. I've never finished a race with that many people watching so that was kind of cool. (Iron Girl *may* have had more but I was too tired to notice at that race) I crossed the finish line and almost fell over the volunteer waiting to remove my chip. Oops, sorry.

Run more. I have definitely increased my running and I feel better about it but it's still not where I'd like it to be. I did hit my goal of a sub-30' 5k so I'm happy.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and waited for Sheila to finish. I looked for my daughters' teacher but never saw her again. She managed to place in the top 3 OA so I'm not sure she was still there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Family obligations, work and scheduling. I've been training when I can but it hasn't been as consistent as I'd like. Also, since I started my 1/2 marathon training I haven't spent a lot of time on my bike or in the pool.

Event comments:

This was a great race. I have absolutely no complaints. The venue was great, the course is not too tough but still challenging enough and the post-race spread was great. The food was set up in a larger picnic pavillion (so it was in the shade, with fans!) and every table had tons of stuff: bananas, apples, cut and whole oranges, snack bags of pretzals and chips, packs of crackers, granola bars, cookies, muffins, bottles of water and 32oz bottles of Gatorade.

I know it might seem weird that I mention the food specifically but it makes a good impression on the athletes (or maybe just me) if there is 1. enough food and 2. a variety of choices.

My only complaint might be the shirt. It's a nice design and the fact that it's a tech tee is nice but the design is huge on the front and it's just a heat-transfer. On a black t-shirt. Probably not one I'm going to wear often. The fact that I got TWO different sack packs kind of makes up for it.

This is an awesome race and if anyone is considering it for next year they should definitely put it on their schedule.

Last updated: 2011-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:32 | 400 yards | 02m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/35
Overall: 0/621
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Sort of like a rectangle: out 100y, across 200y, and in 100y.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:19 | 14 miles | 18.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/35
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out of the park to Hwy. 441 for a couple miles, a right turn to loop on backroads around to 441 again and back down the road to the park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:32 | 03.11 miles | 09m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/35
Performance: Good
Course: Flat in the park and then rolling hills with a couple bigger hills thrown in the middle.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-22 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Subject: Tri To Beat Cancer Triathlon

2011-08-24 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3654037

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Tri To Beat Cancer Triathlon

Way to go, Mindy!  I agree with you on the food!

I think that you have forgotten how badly most triathletes swim.  Especially in a local race, you are going to be front of the ladies' pack every time so might as well start out there.  AND, if that many people failed to break 10 minutes for 400 meters, they were either all novice swimmers (unlikely) or the swim was just a bit long.  :

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri To Beat Cancer Triathlon Rss Feed