Trihard Events Ltd
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 25m 30s
Overall Rank = 160/166
Age Group = Female 20-39
Age Group Rank = 16/17
Pre-race routine:

Giant bowl of porridge in the morning. Bottle of sports drink half an hour before the race. We were running later than planned, so setting up transition was a bit of a rush.
Event warmup:

Running to the portaloos and back.
Swim
  • 39m 14s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

Realised when I got in the water that i've done very little swimming in the last 7 weeks. I knew this was going to be hard work, but I just took it gently and kept going all the way round.
What would you do differently?:

Not let the training drop off to the extent that it has.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

I was very tired coming out of the swim, so I just took it really slowly in transition. I did the changes pretty fast, but gave myself some time to take on some food and catch my breath.

Nothing. T1 was slow, but that was a conscious decision.
Bike
  • 1h 28m
  • 38.5 kms
  • 26.25 km/hr
Comments:

I found the cycle hard work, but kept pushing the pace all the way through. I really enjoyed the challenge of the technical course, but there were certain sections where there were dead turns and we turned straight into a head wind. The frustrating part was that it never felt like you got the benefit of the wind behind, but had the feeling of cycling into a wind tunnel in the other direction!

Again, more training. Really noticed the benefit from the cornering session we did a couple of weeks ago. More practice would have been good for this course.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

We had a bad position in transition, off to one side. I got stuck trying to get round someone who was clearing transition from the sprint, which was annoying, but doesn't appear to have slowed me down too much.

Nothing. Please with this part.
Run
  • 1h 13m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I was feeling very tired after the bike, and Kevin came into transition just after me. I suggested that we ran together, but it landed up being much slower than I'd intended with a lot of walking because he'd hurt his knee. I stuck with him because I could tell he was finding it really hard to keep going.

I also suffered from "GI distress" and had to run into to portaloos at the end of the first lap. Not ideal, but made for a much more comfortable 2nd lap.

Run at my own pace rather than with Kevin.
Post race
Warm down:

Mostly getting jumped on by my dog. My parents came to watch and brought Barney with them. He'd managed to go for a swim in the river at some point, and decided to share the damp with all of us :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of fitness/recent training. I wasn't even sure I was going to be able to finish, so I was really pleased with it in the end.

Event comments:

This is a really well organised race. I did the mini-triathlon last year and it was the one that really got me hooked. It's great that they have all the different distances because loads of people from our club took part in the various events and it was a good day out.

Last updated: 2011-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:14 | 1500 meters | 02m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/17
Overall: 160/166
Performance: Average
Suit: Aquasphere pursuit wetsuit
Course: 2 laps of 750m loop in the River Tees. Nice big buoys for easy sighting. Didn't like the exit. There was a ramp, but that was blocked off and we had to exit on a floating platform to the side. They had helpers to pull us out, but I bashed my knee and a few other bits on the way out. One of the men from our club dislocated his finger getting out!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:28:00 | 38.5 kms | 26.25 km/hr
Age Group: 16/17
Overall: 149/166
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: 5 laps of 7.7k loop. Mostly flat, but with occasional small uphill sections which sap your energy. Closed roads with loads of dead turns and roundabouts. Really technical course, which was a nice challenge.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 77
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:13:52 | 06.21 miles | 11m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/17
Overall: 157/166
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 times round a 5k lap. Very flat except for the ramps up to 2 bridges and a set of steps. Only 1 drinks station, right at the start of the run so we passed it twice. It was quite a hot day, so that wasn't enough and I was really dehydrated at the end.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-23 5:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Subject: Stockton Triathlon (Olympic)

2011-08-24 6:50 AM
in reply to: #3654833

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Stockton Triathlon (Olympic)
Congrats Rach - looks like the race attracts a strong field - and I learned a new word today - Portaloos!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stockton Triathlon (Olympic) Rss Feed