United States
Churchill County Parks and Recreation
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 44s
Overall Rank = 50/60
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Arrived 50 mins before race start and racked my bike. Not a lot of room on the bike racks and seemed like less racks then last year. Stood in line for half an hour waiting to get timing chip and race was to start at 8 am. Slow moving line, not sure what the problem was, lack of volunteers or just new system?
Packed the night before so I ate some oatmeal and headed out.
Event warmup:

No warm up time as I was in the first wave. Jogged in place and swam one lap before start.
Swim
  • 13m 48s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was pretty good feeling swim. I struggled a litte after getting hit in the head so hard but I felt like I was pushing my pace but not so much I was worn out.
What would you do differently?:

Really get my head on straight before entering the water. Get comfortable and focus on technique. It takes a lap or two for me to get there and I want to be able to start at the comfortable mind set. My time improved over last year and that was great.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

There was a bit of trouble getting my shoe clipped onto the pedal and the people I ran out of transition with got way ahead of me quickly.

Adjust the way my pedals are set on the bike; they seem to sit to far backwards to get my shoe clipped when I first start. Think I want a tri suit so I don't have to get into shorts and a shirt.
Bike
  • 51m 59s
  • 14.2 miles
  • 16.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I was having a great ride until I took a spill near the end. Came up to a turn off the paved bike path on to a plastic mat that covers sand. I almost missed the turn so I was going too fast and my tire slid off the plastic and down I went. My first fall ever. Really through me for a loop. At that point I did a quick bike assesment and got back on but without enough momentum I could not get over the part of the sand burm that was not covered by the mat and had to walk my bike over. Then had to wait for cars to pass...loss some major time there.

Slow down on my turn. But up until then my ride was going great. Had a couple in front of me that were always 150 -200 yards ahead of me and had to push to catch them and pass them the entire ride. Great ride today.

Oh I want to tape my gel to the handle bars so I remember to take a little in while on the bike before the run. I always forget to take it in and even think I have lost it but its always in a safe place, in my back pocket.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Lost my water in the fall and too much gatorade will upset my stomach. I did a brief assesment of my now throbbing knee and wiped away the small amount of blood. The fall seemed to affect me and I was feeling a little left of center. Trying to focus but struggling. I was looking for my gel but I always forget its in my back pocket. I am suppose to have it on the ride but always forget; then I waste time looking for the gel while in transition.

Not sure at this point. I was going through the motions and hoping I had everything.
Run
  • 35m 6s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 10m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

The fall on the bike really affected me and my entire body was tense and locked up at the beginning of the run. Partly because I was pushing on the bike but I knew I still had legs for the run but mostly because of the spill. Had to walk right away and call on inner coach to talk me down, get my breathing controled and relax.

Since I lost my water on the bike I knew I could run half the race until a water stand but there was no water at the turn around. I was really hot at about 3 quarters of the way but then I hit the soft sand. Thats where I had to walk again. I sprinted to the end and still improved my time by 5 mins even with the walk.

Maybe get a race belt to carry my water. Throwing some over my head is usually what I do when I get to a water station, its not so much as needing a drink but staying cool for me. The sun felt like it was just beating down on me.
Post race
Warm down:

Just some stretching and walking. Lots of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fall on the bike. My goal this race was to leave nothing on the course; to push everything I did without bonking. And, for the most part I accomplished that but the fall messed with my head a little on the run. No water at the turn around affected my body temp and when I hit the soft sand I just had to walk.

Event comments:

This race is actually a fun and relaxing venue. I think the disorganization really came from adding the timing chip and with any new system there is a learning curve. Improvements on the bike and run course were great and I appreciated those very much. The check in process was lacking in efficiency. Better marked outs and finish line would be nice along with traffic control so bikers are not waiting for cars. Some bikers did not know they had to use the bike path and cut through on the road.

Last updated: 2011-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:48 | 656 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 3/60
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Pool lap swim with 3 in my lane; should have been plenty of room but one swimmer did the backstroke the entire time and used a superman stroke so she hit or kicked us no matter how far over we were. Had to do a lot of sighting to track her. Even still she hit me square on the head with her head and I saw stars with that. Other than that I felt good on the swim, doing a great pace that did not leave me wiped out or drained.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:51:59 | 14.2 miles | 16.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/60
Wind: Some
Course: Almost the same as last year, a little bit further but marked much better.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:35:06 | 03.2 miles | 10m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/60
Course: Much better than last year and well marked until the end. I wasn't sure where the end was located....maybe a big banner to mark the end of the race or race flags, cones for direction would have been helpful...I had to slow down and ask someone where the end was.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No