United States
50'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 46s
Overall Rank = 85/1704
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/172
Pre-race routine:

Early morning to get down and get our packets. Bowl of cereal for breakfast and sipped on some Ultragen after that. 30 mins. prior to race start had a 12oz Red Bull.
Event warmup:

Jogged for a few mins. But no real warmup.
Run
  • 3h 09m 46s
  • 13.32 miles
  • 14m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really hoping to crack 3 hours, but I haven't done any specific training for this. My nutrition plan was pretty simple. I carried 2 Crank Sports E-gels. One in each sleeve of my arm warmers. I'd hit those at the each hour mark and chase it with water from the aid stations. I've read that if you're not doing some altitude work you can expect a big slow down at tree line. Pretty much what happened to me. I was making all my goals up to that point. Was supposed to be at No Name Creek in 52:44, got there at 48:00, Barr Camp in 1:31:36, there at 1:28:20, and A-Frame in 2:08:10, there at 2:06:16. I figured I'd just stay on pace till tree line and whatever happened after that I'd deal with when I got there. Up to No Name I was running/chatting with my buddy and rival Nathan McCrary (super fast guy who's been killing it this year) he picked it up some after passing some people and I let him go. Went by Tim Sandell after Barr Camp and managed to put another 5 mins. into him before the finish. Just before A-Frame I caught Nathan... he was having some serious GI issues (puking several times). I looked over and he was at full-on zombie state. I just kept plugging away and trying to keep my cadence up. I took a wrong turn and nailed my ankle on a tree that had fallen over and let out a yelp followed by some profanities. Within a minute of that I was stung by a bee. More profanities followed. Talk about insult to injury. Back on course after losing a couple of minutes. Got to tree line and was fighting the inevitable slow down. Started getting really dizzy with 2 miles to go. Ran when I could and walked when I had to. Hit the finish line, grabbed my bag of clothes/recovery drink, got dressed (cuz it was 40 degrees at the summit), laid down on a rock, and fell asleep. A buddy of mine saw me and kicked my feet, which brought me out of my comatose state. Chatted for a bit and then I walked up to the finish line to watch my wife come through. I saw her and could tell the altitude did a number on her. She was still within a few minutes of my predicted time, so I'm super proud of her. After that I wanted to get her back down to Manitou as quickly as possible so we grabbed her gear and got on the van. The day was done!
What would you do differently?:

Some day I'll do this race and train for it properly. Either way it's very rewarding and I think everyone should do it at least once.
Post race
Warm down:

None

What limited your ability to perform faster:

14,115 feet

Last updated: 2011-08-16 12:00 AM
Running
03:09:46 | 13.32 miles | 14m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/172
Overall: 85/1704
Performance: Good
Course: Straight up a mountain. No other way to describe.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-08-24 6:40 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
Subject: Pikes Peak Ascent

2011-08-24 11:32 PM
in reply to: #3656560

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Pikes Peak Ascent
Way to go even if you missed your goal.  Stupid bees!!!
2011-09-10 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3656560

User image

Regular
austin/tx
Subject: RE: Pikes Peak Ascent
Sounds like and awesome race and worth a trip to CO one of these days. Great job!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pikes Peak Ascent Rss Feed