General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IM Melbourne : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2012-03-13 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3662453

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: IM Melbourne : Official Thread

2012-03-13 12:50 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Duh - rego = registration ... you Aussies!

Seems like everyone would be there by Friday lunch, but would a Thursday dinner be easier for the locals who may not be taking Friday off work?

Also ... RACE NUMBERS ... there's a weird rule that you have to wear BOTH numbers, run on front and bike on back, on UPPER clothing ... and you can't wear them on your hips ... I've never heard of anything like that. It seems kind of ridiculous. It actually says they recommend SEWING the numbers to your trisuit front and back ... but also say that might make it hard for the swim ... I just don't get it and now I have no idea how the hell I'm gonna wear my race numbers.

What if I want to put a jersey on for the bike ... or a long-sleeved jacket ... or cover up with something long-sleeved on the run ... CONFOOZLED!

2012-03-14 12:15 AM

User image

Veteran

im thinking of having 2 race belts . 1 i will wear under wetsuit and on the bike facing backwards . then have the run one on another belt stuffed nito my shoe which i will wear at the front. i dont know why they couldnt have had just 1 number where you just move it to the front after the bike. did i read something about no numbers put on the body to because they said alot of people wear compressions now

2012-03-14 1:08 AM
in reply to: #4095367

User image

Melon Presser
thecouch - 2012-03-14 2:15 PM

im thinking of having 2 race belts . 1 i will wear under wetsuit and on the bike facing backwards . then have the run one on another belt stuffed nito my shoe which i will wear at the front. i dont know why they couldnt have had just 1 number where you just move it to the front after the bike. did i read something about no numbers put on the body to because they said alot of people wear compressions now

That's what I am going to do. There's no need to wear one under the wetsuit, though? We can just put the bike one on in T1.

Two sponsors, different for bike and run, so for exposure I guess they feel it's important to wear the "right" one on the "right" course.

2012-03-14 1:17 AM

User image

Melon Presser

So, any recommendations from the Melbournites on must-see sights and attractions?

I'm a little bit (lot) obsessed with animals, so the Zoo, the Aquarium, and the Penguin Parade (is it worth it? I should think so) are on the list for me. I do like museums--any thoughts on the Museum Victoria ones (sounds right up my alley) or National Gallery?

I'll probably sniff about Queen Victoria Market, though I'm not much of a shopper so it's not high on the list.

I'm in town until April 2nd so a week to recover and toddle about town.

2012-03-14 3:58 AM
in reply to: #4095395

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
TriAya - 2012-03-14 5:17 PM

So, any recommendations from the Melbournites on must-see sights and attractions?

I'm a little bit (lot) obsessed with animals, so the Zoo, the Aquarium, and the Penguin Parade (is it worth it? I should think so) are on the list for me. I do like museums--any thoughts on the Museum Victoria ones (sounds right up my alley) or National Gallery?

I'll probably sniff about Queen Victoria Market, though I'm not much of a shopper so it's not high on the list.

I'm doing the 2 running belts as well - normal one for bike, then spibelt for run with nutrition in the little bag, so I don't have to eat too many powergels and bars

Not sure where you should visit..... we've only been over 18 months from Perth, and haven't got to the zoo, aquarium or museums yet   Saw the penguins at Phillip Island and Great Ocean Rd but they're both a bit far out of the city unless you fancy a couple of days trip.

Vic market is good.  Eureka tower has good views from the top.  Catch a game of footy at the MCG.  Plenty of shopping...... but you're not a shopper

As for a catch-up, Thursday afternoon would probably be best for me.  Don't forget we have carbo dinner on Friday evening as well   I'm heading there but my wife can't make it.  Anybody else doing that?

2012-03-14 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth

thought I'd comment here for you all - you may need two race belts, one for the bike and one for the run. It's because there will be two sponsors for each leg and they want their names on the race numbers (the race numbers are marked as Bike & Run). It's really simple to change race belts once you are off the bike or I did see some people put the two race numbers on the same belt and rip the bike one off after the bike leg. I wasn't game enough to try it but it seemed a good idea. Not sure about wearing a race number under your wetsuit?? Might get uncomfortable. 

Good luck to you all. 

Cheers

2012-03-14 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
All -

Here is what I propose: Thursday Night, 6 pm at Sapore Ristorante (Italian), 3-5 Fitzroy Street, St. Kilda, Melbourne, Victoria 3182, Australia. The reviews seem pretty good. #24 out of 1,456 restaurants on Trip Advisor.

http://www.sapore.com.au/

Drop me a PM if you are interested in joining in on the fun. Cheers.
2012-03-15 12:44 AM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
TriAya - 2012-03-14 6:17 PM

There is also the Healesville Sanctury..a bit out of town but good for Australian Native Animals. You can organize up close experiences as well. We had the chance to do the dingo one earlier this year for a friends birthday. My son is dog obsessed and Dingos are his favorite Australian native. It was pretty special.The Penguin Parade is pretty cool ( and can be quite cold). Phillip Island will be pretty busy on the weekend of the 1 April as the Tough Mudder is on so you might want to look at an alternative time for this.I find the Queen Vic Marcket a bit ho hum these days but that might be just me.Getting close now.....
2012-03-15 3:32 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Countdown: 10 days!!!!!

So. Anybody know when/how we give our Special Foods bags in? Not in the Athlete's Guide.

2012-03-17 12:31 AM

User image

Veteran
does anyone know how deep the water is on the outward part and past the end of the wharf part

2012-03-17 2:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Help!

My local Thai bike shop crack a critical component in the head-set arrangement, did not tell me and tried to use glue to fix their error! I would appreciate if anyone could point me in the direction of a great Bike Shop in Melbourne that knows how to deal with a Felt DA Bayonet steering system. 7 days until IM Melbourne! This is not what I need to be dealing with at the last minute!!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
2012-03-17 3:46 AM
in reply to: #4100337

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

swiss tri - 2012-03-17 5:55 PM Help! My local Thai bike shop crack a critical component in the head-set arrangement, did not tell me and tried to use glue to fix their error! I would appreciate if anyone could point me in the direction of a great Bike Shop in Melbourne that knows how to deal with a Felt DA Bayonet steering system. 7 days until IM Melbourne! This is not what I need to be dealing with at the last minute!! Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

You'll have to book it in quick, but IMO the best mechanics is Matt at Cycling Obession in Seaford which is not too far from Frankston, or Andrew at Cycle Speed in Gardenvale, which is closer to St Kilda.  Matt stocks Felt which might be a help.

http://www.cyclingobsession.com/ContactUs.html

http://www.cyclespeed.com.au/g/7227/about-cyclespeed.html

Matt and Andrew are both racing in the IM, so get in contact quick to see if he can fit you in for the repair.

Also

Edited by cottoneyes 2012-03-17 3:51 AM
2012-03-17 3:54 AM
in reply to: #4100312

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

thecouch - 2012-03-17 3:31 PM does anyone know how deep the water is on the outward part and past the end of the wharf part

Depends on the tide, but most of the course will be around 3 - 5 metres in depth once you get around half way out the length of the pier (way to small to be a wharf).  There is a sandbank, however don't think the course will be going close enough to be of any assistance.

2012-03-17 4:01 AM
in reply to: #4093429

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
kashinx - 2012-03-13 7:35 PM

Hey

Am really excited for the race! Bib no is 145

I am touching down on Melb airport on the morning of 23rd March and renting a car to the motel at St Kilda. Any advices on driving? Is it relatively easy to drive from the motel to Frankston (considering road closures)?

My 2 suggestions would be to ensure the rental car comes with a satnav, and an etag which will then allow you to drive on the toll roads (You'll need one to drive on Eastlink and will be easier than trying to buy a daypass online).  The drive to Frankston should be relatively easy for the rego, you get on beach road and follow it until you hit Nepean Highway, then follow that until you hit Frankston.

Road closures in 98% of cases don't kick in until 3am Sunday morning, and will only affect traffic then for the most part leaving Frankston, not going to it.

Anyone coming with plans to drive Easlink to check out the bike course, be warned there are around 10 speed cameras going each way that are very well hidden.  Go anymore than 3kms / hr over the limit and you can expect to receive a fine for each occasion starting at $150.  To check out the course, head to Frankston down Nepean highway first, then drive up Eastlink to check out the side of the road you will be using, continue on the Eastern Freeway after the tunnel back into the city and return to St Kilda or wherever to complete the trip.

2012-03-17 4:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
TriAya - 2012-03-14 4:17 PM

Moonlight Sanctuary at Pearcedale is probably up there with the Healesville Sanctuary, and alot cheaper and closer (unless you buy the 3 zoo pass thingy).  You get to see alot of the animals and can feed / touch them, just a bit harder to get to unless you have a car.

Day trip down the Great Ocean road is quite scenic, probably better to do a guided tour on that one so you can concentrate on the sights without taking your eyes off the road while driving.

The Dandenongs (as opposed to the suburb of Dandenong) are quite good to see, take an afternoon tea at Sassafras or Olinda.

Art Galleries are quite good, National Art Gallery is worth checking out before arriving to see if the current exhibition is something you would want to see.

Get to the MCG for an AFL game as well, the pick of the games IMO would be the Collingwood / Hawthorn game on the Friday 30th.  Should be close to a full house and the atmosphere should be great (these teams came 2 and 3 last season).  I'd be there but my wife booked us to go see an act at the Comedy Festival that night which is also on starting the week after IM.  The MCG also has a sports museum if that is your thing.

The only other thing to add is to take the time to check out some of the laneways in the CBD.  Heaps of 'different' stores and cafes to check out, you never know what you will find but sure to be something for everyone.  Queen Vic markets these days seem to be alot more food / souvenior orientated, or selling items I'd expect you'd get in Bali for a fraction of the price.  St Kilda has markets most Sunday mornings on the Esplenade (Just don't mention you're a triathlete as they hate us taking their car spots when we have tris on in St Kilda)

2012-03-17 7:42 PM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
Hopefully everyones taper is going smoothly and you're not going too nuts.After my swim I'll be manning the Fruit and gel table at the Seaford 10 km aid station. I'm not sure what I'll be wearing yet(and you probably wouldn't remember) but be sure to call out for me-Tammie- and I'll do my best to give you some TLC, cheering, hug, or whatever you may need to get you through.Here's to a glorious Melbourne day.
2012-03-17 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne

Last real effort done - 1 hour run yesterday, 2 hour ride today in race trim.  Getting all set to race.  The marquee at St Kilda is starting to go up, and the km markings on the shared path are now nice shiny official ones!!

You'll be getting a shout from me Tammie  Hope you have some nice special rocket fuel available !

2012-03-19 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4100345

User image

Elite
cottoneyes - 2012-03-17 3:46 AM

swiss tri - 2012-03-17 5:55 PM Help! My local Thai bike shop crack a critical component in the head-set arrangement, did not tell me and tried to use glue to fix their error! I would appreciate if anyone could point me in the direction of a great Bike Shop in Melbourne that knows how to deal with a Felt DA Bayonet steering system. 7 days until IM Melbourne! This is not what I need to be dealing with at the last minute!! Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

You'll have to book it in quick, but IMO the best mechanics is Matt at Cycling Obession in Seaford which is not too far from Frankston, or Andrew at Cycle Speed in Gardenvale, which is closer to St Kilda.  Matt stocks Felt which might be a help.

Matt and Andrew are both racing in the IM, so get in contact quick to see if he can fit you in for the repair.

Also

2012-03-19 7:45 PM
in reply to: #4100345

User image

Elite
cottoneyes - 2012-03-17 3:46 AM

Also

Agreed - hard to go past Matty.  however if he's booked out give Jae a call at Omara Cycles in Cheltenham.  He's my LBS and is pretty awesome too.  If not try Tristan Parker in Hampton street, Hampton - TCR is the name of the shop.

2012-03-20 1:43 AM
in reply to: #4100347

cottoneyes - 2012-03-17 5:01 PM
kashinx - 2012-03-13 7:35 PM

Hey

Am really excited for the race! Bib no is 145

I am touching down on Melb airport on the morning of 23rd March and renting a car to the motel at St Kilda. Any advices on driving? Is it relatively easy to drive from the motel to Frankston (considering road closures)?

My 2 suggestions would be to ensure the rental car comes with a satnav, and an etag which will then allow you to drive on the toll roads (You'll need one to drive on Eastlink and will be easier than trying to buy a daypass online).  The drive to Frankston should be relatively easy for the rego, you get on beach road and follow it until you hit Nepean Highway, then follow that until you hit Frankston.

Road closures in 98% of cases don't kick in until 3am Sunday morning, and will only affect traffic then for the most part leaving Frankston, not going to it.

Anyone coming with plans to drive Easlink to check out the bike course, be warned there are around 10 speed cameras going each way that are very well hidden.  Go anymore than 3kms / hr over the limit and you can expect to receive a fine for each occasion starting at $150.  To check out the course, head to Frankston down Nepean highway first, then drive up Eastlink to check out the side of the road you will be using, continue on the Eastern Freeway after the tunnel back into the city and return to St Kilda or wherever to complete the trip.

Thank you sir for the informative post!

Well when and how do you guys meet up? During the carbo loading dinner? Any bright colours/banners/pom poms to look out for? 1st time in Aussie and 1st Ironman I WILL be lost around the place =/

2012-03-20 4:16 AM

User image

Veteran
drove for 6hrs today have another 4hrs to get to melbourne tomorrow . probably going to drive the run course then the bike course thursday or friday just so i have a better idea what its like. so is there going to be a meet up thursday or wait for friday carb party does anyone now the place where it is at maybe a suggest corner or place to meet
2012-03-21 12:21 AM
in reply to: #4104132

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
kashinx - 2012-03-20 4:43 PM

Well when and how do you guys meet up? During the carbo loading dinner? Any bright colours/banners/pom poms to look out for? 1st time in Aussie and 1st Ironman I WILL be lost around the place =/

I'm not sure of any meet ups, I'm not competing but will be at the carbo dinner.  I've no idea on what the dinner venue set up is to be able to set a meeting point, however I'm guessing most of us will spot Yanti when we see her so we could make her the meeting point?

2012-03-21 1:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne

I'm heading in for the carbo dinner, but I think there might be an informal meetup tomorrow when a few others get in to register.

I got all my stuff done this afternoon when it was nice and quiet - realisation started to sink in watching the briefing.  It's here....!

2012-03-21 6:15 AM

User image

Veteran
looks like half the people in my motel/unit block on barkley st are here for the ironman. already spent some money down at the show i might have to stay away from there im already thinging of changing what i race in
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » IM Melbourne : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6