Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m 35s
Overall Rank = 10/138
Age Group = m 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/16
Pre-race routine:

whatever, the usual
Event warmup:

ride for about 10 minutes, run and drills for about 5 minutes, swim for about 5 minutes.....I felt like crap during the warm up. My HR was way high. I'm not sure if it was nerves or what.
Swim
  • 18m 9s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

Decent swim. I wanted to focus on maintaining form and swimming straight. This was one of my better executed swims. I was pleased, although I have no idea how fast I actually was.
Transition 1
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

everyone's T1 was very long.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 16s
  • 25 miles
  • 21.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. I called my pacing approach "controlled chaos" This meant just a titch below what I might do in a sprint (which is chaos). Yeah, Ima dork. HR was right at "LT" and perceived exertion was good. I was able to take in more calories (EFS liquid shot) because I wasn't killing myself like at langley pond. This set me up for a solid run. I was pleased with the bike and really enjoyed the course!
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

fun
Run
  • 42m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Solid run. My run training has not been very consistent and this result accurately reflects my fitness at this time. I was actually happy that my pace was under 7:00 (barely). I got off the bike several hundred yards behind a dude in my AG. I had been slowly closing on him on the bike and thought I'd get on the climb (he was bigger than me) He actually opened an even lager gap. I was able to run him down in the first mile or so. At the time I though that pass likely put me on the podium, but I didn't realize it moved me into 1st place AG. I then set my sights and 2 other dudes several hundred yards in front of me. I SLOWLY closed on them and probably didn't make the pass until after mile 3. After that, there was no-one in front of me so I had to make sure the dude I just passed didn't retake the position. He hung tough and was about 20-30 yards behind me the rest of the way. The last 2 miles were very hilly (and slow) but everyone slowed significantly. I scrambled up to the fort and finished.
Post race
Event comments:

Really fun race. The only issues were that the swim exit was supposed to be up a boat launch ramp, but there was so much algae on the ramp that it was like standing on ice. The RD made a last minute change and we exited the water on a boat dock with volunteers helping us out. It was a good solution so I give the RD credit. Also, going in to T2 there was a traffic bottle neck and I had to slow down and weave in between cars to get to T2. The out and back bike course was awesome and I loved the climb!!!!!!!! This was a first year event and a good one!

Last updated: 2011-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:09 | 1500 meters | 01m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 27/138
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The course was waaaaay short. I got out of the water in 15:05.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:34
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:08:16 | 25 miles | 21.97 mile/hr
Overall: 8/138
Wind: Headwind
Course: OUT AND BACK. Very flat except for a hill in the first few miles and a decent climb at mile 21. It was a low grade climb (I think it averaged 3-4%), but it lasted a mile. Very fun course. I liked the out and back because I could see who was ahead of me and get a rough idea where I was in the field.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:59 | 06.21 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 12/138
Course: flat, then freaking very hilly in the last 2 miles. The race is called "Storm the Fort" and you literally run up several steep hills to finish at an old fort. The hills at the end were devilish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes