82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 00m 8s
Overall Rank = 89/131
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 14/16
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast
1 cup oatmeal, 16oz nuun, 1 cup coffee, peanut butter powerbar.

Energy gel and 16oz nuun before swim.
Event warmup:

1mile easy run after setup of Transition area.
Swim
  • 38m 48s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

Deep Water start. Still swimmming around warming up when called to the line with 10 seconds to go. Found a good starting point in line with the buoy's about 3 persons deep.

Got a good start and held my position to the first corner. swimming a strong free style. Breathing on the left side. Could not find the corner buoy. Depending on the pack to find the first corner. SWerved around a couple of breast stroke swimmers. Stayed on the heals of the swimmer in front of me until the corner most of the pack went wide and I turned close to the mark.

Good navigate and drafting down the long side of the course. Swim 10-20 strokes and then take a quick look for the next buoy. As I approached to next turn I decided to swim through the corner without checking nav. This seemed to work really well. Usually get hit in the corners, but nary a touch this year.
quickly crossed the short side. Did not find anyone to draft. The group was a bit farther outside. I decided to try to stay on the shortest path between the corners.
Final swim down the long side. Again did not find many drafters. Swimming into the sun, had some difficulty trying to find the bouy line. Went inside of one of the intermediate bouys. Easy to see the support kayaks, Used these guys to navigate off of until got close enough to see the final marker buoy. Caught up with many of the sprint distace swimmers. Did not draft, passed.
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Swam right up until my hand could touch the bottom and then popped up in the shallow water and ran. Found my sipper and had the zipper down before I was off the beach running. Cap off and arms out running. Almost tripped running up the stairs. Just as I reached 'Rin' and started to pull my leg out, I suffered a wicked cramp in my left hammie. Slowly stretched out the muscle and then continued stripping the suit off.

Helmet on, shoes on, grab bike and running to the mount line.

At the mount line three riders fussing with their bikes. Ran a litte bit past them before mounting. Left pedal was in an unfavoriable position. Jumped on and started riding before taking glassed from helmet to face.
What would you do differently?:

Put a rubber band on the pedal to hold it in a friendly forward position.

Bike
  • 1h 14m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Very strong bike. Made goal of ave 20.0. New disc cover on the rear wheel work perfect. Found myself very fast on the flats. Lost a bit on the climb but still passed many many riders. Not a single rider passed me, that I did not cover the attack and break away.

Excellent acceleration through the corners.

Great dismount and run in shoes to the rack.

Could have gone faster at the stop sign when the course turns from Moneysmith rd onto auburn black diamond road. Did not need to slow to check traffic. Got passed here, followed the RTB rider on a 'Slice' Stayed back 30-40 yards all the way from moneysmith until the turnaround at Lake Sawyer. The passed him on a corned and stayed away until the last hill before the Covington store where I passed him and two others before turning into the park.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Some difficulty finding balance to put on shoes. Leaned on rack for support. Running shoes not as tight as I would like. This would lead to blistered toes. But did not feel or suspect feet troubles until after the race.

Running out of T2 with hat, gel and number in hand. Put on hat and number running. First gel saved until just before the next aid station.

Body glide on all toes. Especially on the inside and points of big toes. Better not try running without socks until get more friendly shoes.
Run
  • 1h 02m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run.

Could have pushed harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around drinking water.
Blisters on toes and heals.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slow swim and run.

Event comments:

This is a very hill course, that suits me.
Need to get faster in the water.

Last updated: 2011-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:48 | 1640 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/16
Overall: 109/131
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Clock wise rectangle. Short side first. Finish straight into the sun.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:33 | 24.85 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 33/131
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Modified out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:02:08 | 06.21 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/16
Overall: 114/131
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back. Rolling hills with one hill named 'The Plunge' just past the first mile. Feet felt good at the start. This is unusual for me. Left Calf muscle was very tight and never loosened up. At the start of the run many triathletes with better swim times were returning from the out and back. Running comfortable but not fast. Savor the sweetness of making a goal on the bike with a comfortable margin on next goal (sub 3hr oly). runners coming in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %ok
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes