World Triathlon Corporation
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 59m 16s
Overall Rank = 855/2076
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 21/60
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:15, and ate a peanut butter and jelly bagel, got dressed and drove to the site. I wasn't the first one there, but was early and got a good parking spot. I tried to sleep a bit without success, then got marked and set everything up.
Event warmup:

I walked around a bit. Ended up following Chrissie Wellington to the swim start.
Swim
  • 36m 45s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was great. I felt strong from start to finish, and was really pumped up by the time I finished.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

I was pretty focused and snappy (for me) in the transition. The one problem came when I went to leap onto my bike and discovered I'd left my cafe cover on my left cleat! I had to get off the bike and remove it before proceeding on. D'OHH!

Make sure my equipment is ready. Also, I tried pulling the wetsuit arm off with my goggles and cap in my left hand so that it would be left inside the arm. Somehow they fell out and after the race I realized I'd lost my new goggles.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.83 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out great, full of excitement after my swim, but got deflated when I was shown a yellow card for (supposedly) riding in the left lane too long without passing. It was really crowded and I was just trying to keep a steady pace, and I guess that's what happened. It really messed with my mojo, but some words of encouragement from a rider who had been with me at the time (and didn't see the violation) and some time allowed me to get going again. Still, I was a little wary of passing people from then on, and frustrated by people who would pass me, then slow down, which would force me to slow down too since you're not allowed to pass back right away. I decided that it would be fun to sit in the penalty tent and began to relish my "bad boy" status a little. I ate power bar bits that I'd stuck to my top tube and drank water and gatorade. It was cool seeing the men's leader go by, and then Chrissie Wellington, far ahead of the rest of the women, and with only six men in front of her at the time. Two bathroom stops.

Follow the rules, I guess. I grew to hate the sound of that motorcycle coming up behind me.
Transition 2
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

I was slowed by having to stop by the penalty tent. As it turned out, I didn't have to sit there, I just had to sign in, so I was feeling good about not having to lose as much time as I'd thought I would. I had some trouble racking my bike because the guy next to me had left his heavy backpack in my slot. I tried pushing it with the tire as I racked it, but it wouldn't budge, so had to grab it and toss it aside. Otherwise, I was pretty snappy in this transition.
Run
  • 2h 06m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a really enjoyable run. The crowds were great, lots of smiling NH kids, I loved the icy sponges, and especially the snowballs that they were handing out at one stop (I put the snowball under my cap). There was one short but fairly steep incline that seemed to separate the fit from the tiring, and some ups and downs. Saw Chrissie Wellington glide by during my first loop. I ran the whole way except around mile 7 when I walked to eat a gel. Other than that, I just drank water throughout the run and had plenty of energy.

Nothing, really. It was a good run.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw Jon and the kids as I finished, got my medal from the little girl who was Chrissie Wellington's Make A Wish friend, then posed for a picture with Chrissie. I walked around a bit to keep from getting stiff. A guy passed out, so I helped him to the medical tent, which was actually pretty hard to find. Then there was an announcement that a severe thunderstorm with damaging winds and hail in the area, so I got my stuff and got out of there quickly. It turned out that people still on the course were limited to one lap of the run, and they cancelled the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, I did a long run and bike the weekend before, and only tapered the one week. Would a longer taper have helped me do better? Who knows? I was psyched to break 6 hours!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:45 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/60
Overall: 0/2076
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: Beautiful clear water. Right turn around the buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:08:24 | 56 miles | 17.83 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back course. Some hills at the beginning and the end. They weren't as challenging as I remembered them from several years ago. The road was in good shape except for one pretty rough section, which thankfully was short.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:06:45 | 13.1 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops, mostly shaded, with water stops every mile. Beautiful houses, views of the lake and woods.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes