World Triathlon Corporation
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 17m 32s
Overall Rank = 1209/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 119/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up around 4:30 and had my father-in-law drive me to transition, I made sure everything was setup, then was drove to swim start. It was awesome not having to walk over there.
Event warmup:

Just sat around in line waiting for the swim start. I got there just before the big crowd showed up, so I was towards the middle of the line.
Swim
  • 1h 29m 59s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

I planned on swimming 1:30, so I hit it right on the nose. I was able to stick to my plan on the swim, nice and easy, draft some and stay as close to the course as possible. There were a couple of times when I went off course, but quickly got back to it. I was pretty focused on keeping a rhythm, so i didn't noticed people walking or anything.
What would you do differently?:

Not much different. Maybe just push a little more.
Transition 1
  • 08m 5s
Comments:

I wanted to take my time and make sure everything was in order. I didn't want to rush it and cramp up.
Bike
  • 6h 06m
  • 112 miles
  • 18.36 mile/hr
Comments:

I enjoyed this course and it's not easy, but fair. The bike is my strongest part, and though I was feeling string I was sticking to my plan of not pushing it until after mile 70 or so, then around mile 60 my inner thighs started alternating with cramps, it was such a nice day that I didn't realize how much salt I was losing, until a fellow rider called my name and told that I probably start consuming more salt tabs, because he could see how much I was losing. I was able to spin the cramps out, but they stay with me for the rest of the ride, so i decided to take it easier and see if I could do something on the run to make up the lost time.

I would've taken more salt tabs on the first section.
Transition 2
  • 09m 30s
Comments:

I didn't notice how slow this transition was, but I was afraid of doing something that would cause another cramp.
Run
  • 5h 23m 58s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I had a slow good run even running on my Vibram Bikilas, though at the end my feet were starting to get sore. I was able to run from aid station to aid station for most of the run. I didn't remember how far the turn around was, so that seemed like forever, but once I got to that point I was able to put stick to my plan and evenly run most of the marathon. I never really hit a rough patch and kept hydration and calories intake up, so much that I used the restroom about 7 times. I had to start skipping liquids in the last 3 aids station because I would've had to pee for the 6th time. I also got two tips leading up to the race. One was to put something cold on the back of my neck and under the right arm. This worked perfectly for me, because I sweat heavily and that wasn't a factor at all because I was never too hot.

Not much. I think I could've push just a little bit more, because I never felt like dying out there. I felt so good that I was able to get my jump across the finish line like I like to do when I complete a race.
Post race
Warm down:

It was awesome to have a personal volunteer at the finish line walking me to where my friends and fam were. I met with everyone and Kevin(kjivie) and headed to the where the food was. I got tired of eating stuff on the course, so I was very hungry and ate 5 slices on pizza in a hurry. Then, I walked back to my room shower and came back to 4th street Live to see some people finish. It was awesome to see those people get it done.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a good race for the most part. I was planning on doing 14 hours or so and came way under it. Given the fact that I was 305 lbs at what point I'll take just finishing an Ironman race over going faster though I plan on going faster next time.

Event comments:

This race was very well organized and the amount of volunteers was amazing.

Last updated: 2011-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:29:59 | 4224 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: N/A
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:05
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:06:00 | 112 miles | 18.36 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 09:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:23:58 | 26.2 miles | 12m 22s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-03 3:10 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Ironman Louisville

2011-09-03 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3672076

User image

SWOH
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Congratulations on becoming and Ironman and on your awesome weight loss! You did it!
2011-09-06 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
You rocked it Rodmy!!! Nice work out there buddy.
2011-09-09 3:14 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Congrats!!!  You are an Ironman!!  Thanks for the report!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed