General Discussion Race Reports! » Saguaro National Park Labor Day Run - 8 mile Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Saguaro National Park Labor Day Run - 8 mile - RunOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tucson, Arizona
United States
Arizona Road Runners
84F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 59m
Overall Rank = 70/850
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/48
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:45. Had a yogurt and some juice. Chilled, rolled, drove the 6mi to race start.
Event warmup:

did a couple easy miles. Threw in some strides and wet myself down with the water that was served.
Run
  • 59m
  • 8.05 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Today marks my 2nd anniversary of running races. This was my 1st real race, 2 years ago. When I slog out those miles every morning- I haven't felt any faster, but it looks like training really works. This year 59:00. Last year, 1:02:37, '09 1:05:15.
Went out hard, 1st two miles 6:41, 6:50, taking it right to LT from the beginning, held the 3rd flatter mile at 7:12, freewheeling it down the steep downhills and reigning it in on the uphills just enough so that I didn't blow up. Mile 5 climbs 288 ft and held it at 8:30, then Cleared some lactate on the flats but had it pretty close to the edge the whole way. Crossed mile 6 (7:08) and looked at my time, 44:30. OK- I've got two miles left and 15:30 to get in under an hour. Yes- I've got this. Laid down a 7:08 and 7:03 for the last two. Not much left at the end for a kick, but came in with what I had, watching the clock rolling up to 59:00. I'm going with my garmin time on this rather than race time, as it took me about 8 seconds to get to the start line amidst the crowds.
Finally got to meet Steve P. Brian C. and saw Matt H. Becca H. Christian W. Sarah W. Great morning and a PR!
Post race
Warm down:

not much to drink for recovery. tried some of that chocolate muscle milk - not my thing. took an easy jog with Fred Roberts, Steve P and Brian C. Quads were hurtin just on the cooldown.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Faster? there ain't no faster for me. I totally PR'ed this race!

Event comments:

A favorite race and a Tucson tradition. Morning on the Saguaro Park loop just can't be beat. I kinda' wish there was some sports drink sponsor this year. XOOD has been there the past couple. And, perhaps it's time for them to add real chip timing, as it took me 8 sec or so to get to the starting line that was counted in my time. With a full field of 1200 runners this year, the 1st mile was pretty crowded.

Last updated: 2011-08-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:59:00 | 08.05 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/48
Overall: 0/850
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/splits/112097388
Course: Hilly. Starts off mostly down, with some short steep ups. Then at 3.5mi the big climb starts for 1.5mi. Then it's up and down again for the remainder of the race.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-05 4:00 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: Saguaro National Park Labor Day Run - 8 mile
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Saguaro National Park Labor Day Run - 8 mile Rss Feed