United States
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 38m 55s
Overall Rank = 330/489
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 16/24
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4a.m....Hammer bar and 1.5 scoops Perpetuem. Ibuprofen 400mg and rub in some Aspercream to thighs and calves. Walk 5min from hotel to bus which took us into the mountains...dark when we got there but steadily got lighter until full daylight at start time.
Event warmup:

Jogged up and down the road a few times...hammer gel before start...found the 4:15 pace group...about 8 of us...just wore my shorts/shirt/hat/gloves.
Run
  • 4h 38m 55s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt great until mile 16 when I started to slow down...I kept the pacer in sight for 2 miles then just fell way back. By then the group had lost at least 1/2 of what we started with. The weather was great...even in the sun it wasn't too wram.
What would you do differently?:

I really thought I was ready for the 4:15 pace...I did the training...my nutrition was likely lacking...used Hammer gels and perpetuem...used a total of about 500cal...should have used closer to 600 or so...don't know how much of a difference that would have made....my legs just didn't feel like going very fast...I'm really not one to enjoy the "sufferfest"...once the 4:30 pace group passed me I didn't push it too hard.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around drinking cjocolate milk/water/eating icecream and baked potato. Hung out with my wife and in-laws.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental ability?? Nutrition?? Training?? Hard to know exactly.

Event comments:

They have one of the best race finish parties I have been to.
Although I'm disappointed in my results, I don't lose sleep over it. Last year I did this race in 4:30...my quads were killing me then but had very little pain this year. I'm really not much of a long distance runner/racer.
12 of the 24 in my AG ran under 4hrs...that's just not me!

Last updated: 2011-06-10 12:00 AM
Running
04:38:55 | 26.2 miles | 10m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/24
Overall: 330/489
Performance: Average
Course: Mountain road start...pavement..downhill and flat until about mile 13...rollers after that but a lot of flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-05 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Subject: Pocatello Marathon

2011-09-19 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3673772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Pocatello Marathon

Hey, good job  Tom,  I can't imagine doing a full marathon, I think just doing it would be a sufferfest So you didn't get the time you wanted, no sweat, you had a great race, nothings torn or broken, I call that a good day! I managed to come out of the season intact except for my achillies tendon, darn, it started acting up about a month ago but gets better enough for me to train, that may have changed today, crap. Will wait and see what happens, I'm just happy to not have any tri's in the near future, I'll probably have to bow out of B2B and Zeitgeist, no biggie.

Hope your doing well, are you aiming for any fall races yourself?

Take care,

Deirdre

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pocatello Marathon Rss Feed