Genesis Adventures
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 23m 52s
Overall Rank = 99/108
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:30am. I had coffe and ate a banana. I brought a pb&j sandwich with me, since it was several hours before my race. I arrived to the Marina at 5:50am. I was the first one in line to pick up my packet. I expected to follow a huge crowd and fight for a parking space, as I did for Steelman. This was a completely different race and different atmosphere. It is a very small, laid back race. I set up transition and sat in the car listening to my ipod and ate my sandwich. I watched the start of the swim for the half and went back to the car to relax. I got on my wetsuit at 9am and went to do a final check in transition.
Event warmup:

There was a brief swim warm-up before the start. I never warm up for the swim, but decided to do it since I have noticed I feel much better during my training swims after a good 10 minutes. I knew immediately that my wetsuit felt better than at Steelman.
Swim
  • 28m 53s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt good about my swim. My goal was to relax and feel more comfortable in my wetsuit. I know I did a better job pulling up the wetsuit to fit more comfortably. I definitely accomplished my goal. I got into a good rhythm about 1/2 way through the course with sighting and staying on course.
What would you do differently?:

Get my rhythm going more quickly!!
Transition 1
  • 04m 15s
Comments:

I changed into a bike jersey, which I preferred to staying in the tri jersey. I realized about 1.5 miles into the ride that I didn't put on my watch. I thought I had put it in my bike shoe. Initially, I was very upset, but decided to just relax since I really couldn't do anything about it.
I am not very fast in this transition. I seem to need time to get my head on straight.

Practice, practice, practice transitions. Put my watch on the bike.
Bike
  • 2h 36m 39s
  • 38.2 miles
  • 14.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall, I enjoyed the ride. Within the first few miles of the second loop, there was a huge 10 min procession of motorcycles doing a 911 memorial ride. It was very inspiring and made me forget about my aching back. After they finished, I got a huge burst of energy for the next few miles. I was extremely happy I was familiar with the course and knew what to expect. My second loop felt better than the first. The last few miles was shared with the run course. This was a little difficult to maneuvar with the cars on the left and runners going in both directions on the right.

Push myself more, especially on the flats. Remember my watch!!
Transition 2
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

I was focused on finding my watch. I didn't see it and thought it must have been taken. I was kind of pissed off! As I was getting ready to leave, I saw my watch upside down about 8 feet away. I have no idea how it got there!! I picked it up and put it on. I had to fiddle with it to see if it was working. In all my focus and distress about the watch, I forgot the endurolytes, which I had just bought!

Work out the watch issue!
Run
  • 1h 11m 16s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

My left foot was still hurting from last weekend. My original plan was to run 10 min, walk 1 min. However, due to the hills and my foot, I decided early in the run to walk the uphills and run the rest. I was able to accomplish that, but it was very slow. On my way out, I saw the spin instructor Jen, from Warrington. She recognized me and rang her cowbell! She was there for her husband, who also did the Olympic. It gave me a big boost! At one of the aid stations, I drank both water and gatorade. I never drink gatorade during a run. It did not sit well with my stomach!

Not run 31 trail miles 6 days before a race! No gatorade on the run! WATER only!!!
Post race
Warm down:

I got water and pizza. The awards were getting started as I was getting my stuff out of transition. I realized I hadn't seen very many women my age on the course and decided to hang around for my age group. As it turns out, I was the only one in my age group, so I won a lovely trophy. It was still very exciting, even if I didn't have any competition. As it turns out, I was the oldest woman out there by 5 years!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My feet hurt all week after my 50K trail run.

Event comments:

This was a great experience for me. It is my favorite race, so far. I really liked the small size and easy access from my house. It was a great day. I had lots of fun! I also saw Heather and Matt from the Pocono ride.

Last updated: 2011-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:53 | 1056 yards | 02m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 83/108
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: Big triangle with the orange markers on the right. The water seemed much cooler than 71 degrees.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:36:39 | 38.2 miles | 14.63 mile/hr
Overall: 91/108
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: The course is 2 loops around Lake Nockamixon. The begining of the ride is a 0.6 mile hill out of the marina. The rest of the course is rolling hills. The course was open to traffic. Part of the course has no shoulder on South Park Road. The toughest part of the course is on rte #313 which has a long, steep decline (terrifying) followed by a long, steep incline.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:49
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:11:16 | 06.2 miles | 11m 29s  min/mile
Overall: 99/108
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back. The course started on the bike path going around the lake. It went on to rte #563 where we shared the road with the bikers and the cars! The out part of the course was mostly uphill. The return was better.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-11 6:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horsham, PA
Subject: QuakerMan Olympic Triathlon

2011-09-12 6:36 AM
in reply to: #3681432

User image

PA
Subject: RE: QuakerMan Olympic Triathlon
Good job, Linda. Sounds like a nice race-- I'll probably do it next year.
2011-09-12 7:42 AM

User image

New user

Linda, sounds like you had a great race.  I kept hearing about the watch I was hoping you found it and it was working  Great work!
2011-09-12 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3681929

User image

Veteran
Congratulations on finishing your first olympic.
2011-09-12 9:47 PM

User image

Congrats Linda for hanging in there and remaining calm.  You are ready for your 70.3! Smile

User image

Congrats Linda for hanging in there and remaining calm.  You are ready for your 70.3! Smile

User image

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » QuakerMan Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed