Ironhead Race Productions
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 45m 20s
Overall Rank = 45/126
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 11/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up very early (4am) packed the truck, ate some breakfast and headed to the race. Set up transition area, talked to a frew friends that were racing. Just tried to relax and focus on my plan for the day.
Event warmup:

Jumped in the water and swam about 200-300 yds just to loosen up before the sprint waves went off.
Swim
  • 39m 15s
  • 2111 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off at the front of the pack. First 200 or so was fast, flat out as hard as I could swim, had some people pass me, but then I settled into a good steady pace. Sighting was good, I was straight on the bouys and able to see them very well. When I came out of the water and looked at my watch I was surprised to see a 39 as I felt like I swam the distance faster than that.
What would you do differently?:

Apparently I need to swim faster! No other issues in the water other than speed.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Wanted to concentrate on getting in and out of both transitions faster than I have in the past. No issues today. felt like I got in and out about as quick as I could have.

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 38m 6s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.25 mile/hr
Comments:

It all started to go downhill as soon as I got on the bike. I never could get comfortable and as soon as I started peddling I felt little muscle aches in my glutes, hamstrings and groin. Mainly it was the left side more than the right but the right hurt a little as well. It seemed that being in aero made it worse, so I spent the first 2 laps swapping between aero and sitting up depending on whether I was going into a little headwind or not.

About the time I started the 3rd lap, it started to subside enough that I could stay in aero but I could still feel it the entire ride and knew that was going to be an issue once I hit the run course.

Other than that, I thought I had a pretty decent bike ride. The course was flat and winds were lite so I expected a faster than normal bike split. This is the first time I ever averaged over 21mph at this distance. I could blame my leg issues on pushing harder on the bike, but they started immediately and not 40-50 miles into the ride. So, I dont think that was the issue

got to figure out this muscle tightness issue
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

No issues with a sub 1min T2 ...

nothing
Run
  • 2h 25m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

And it all comes tumbling down! Knowing that I was feeling those muscle issues on the bike, I expected this but was hoping for a better outcome. There was a guy in my AG that was racked next to me and he came into T2 about the same time I did. We went out together and my legs felt pretty good for the first 3 miles or so, then it all fell apart. That tightness in my low glute - high hamstring area started to rear its ugly head and by mile 5 I was reduced to a shuffle. For the remainder of the run I was reduced to a trade off of walking and running as much as I could.

I have also decided that the K-Swiss shoes I have been trying out are a failure and I ned to go back to Mizunos. It seems that everytime I have tried to run in the K Swiss for any distance over about 5 miles, my ankle starts to bother me. This doesnt happen in the Mizunos so the only thing I can pin this on is the shoes. I just need more support than the K-Swiss provide for me.

Thats a good question..... I have been dealing with the issue in my upper left leg for several months now. Just when I think I have it beat, it comes back on race day! All my runs leading up to this race were pain free, so I dont know why it showed up today.
Post race
Warm down:

hobbled around for a few minutes. Ate a slice of pizza, got the bike and left

What limited your ability to perform faster:

thats pretty obvious

Last updated: 2011-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:15 | 2111 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 33/126
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit