REV#
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 18m 38s
Overall Rank = 4/20
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

had pnb mini bagel, coffee and banana, got to transition at about 6:40, set up, saw all our peeps and walked back to the hotel to relax for a little bit since the AB wave was last. I got all my stuff packed, layed down for 10 minutes, got into the wetsuit and we loaded up the car.
Event warmup:

5 minutes of swimming after walking to the car to load stuff.
Swim
  • 36m 47s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well, it was a most disgusting swim start...there was thick (knee deep) BLACK mud at the swim start and Rev3 decided to keep it a beach start. :( They did at least bulldoze some of it away from the start area...but certainly not all of it. I was in the last wave with the 40-44Men. Awesome. My plan of starting in the very front got changed (thought I was starting with the older women). Started 1 row back as I didn't want to get clobbered like in Placid, but didn't think about the mud splash from the first row guys running at the start (like my dear friend Scribby!) Ewwwww! The water didn't clear till at least the second buoy. Nasty! I though I was doing ok pace wise, but the current kept pushing me inside the buoys and I had to correct quite a bit. The water was pretty calm, so I was hoping for a faster swim, but it didn't happen. I did take my wetsuit off in the water so this was added on to my time, but it came off pretty well.
What would you do differently?:

Not be afraid to start up front...I had contact anyways, (I kicked some dude pretty hard...he would NOT get off me!) and I wouldn't have gotten the churned up water or nasty mud bath before I started swimming.

Sight more...figure out how to correct for the current before the last section of the course! :O!
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

PU. Stunk it up pretty good in there! I was carrying my wetsuit as I'd taken it off in the drink...I leave my cap and goggles in the sleeve and for the first time they fell out. Had to stop and pick up the goggles, then the lid fell and I grabbed that too. There were no pans of water, just a crappy sprinkler which didn't beging to get the sand off, so I had to wipe the tootsies( didn't bring a bottle like usual...thought there would be pans like last year) and just was slow.

Leave the cap, use the wetsuit strippers (nice touch Rev3, but I forgot they would be there as there usually aren't any for halfs) and hustle gosh darn it!
Bike
  • 2h 39m
  • 56 miles
  • 21.13 mile/hr
Comments:

My garmin shows 56.68, so the speed was a tad better. (21.4) :) Averaged 160 hr and 162 watts, 96 rpms for race. I had a specific race plan for watts...I under achieved once again. :( I did execute a negative split like Coach wanted, but the watts were not where she prescribed. I almost puked twice, and was working hard. Still, need to go deeper into the pain cave, especially since this was an aquabike! It was pretty fun to pass so many peeps on the bike, including some of my teammates...Johh, Diane, and Dave. John and Diane got a goose. ;)

Go harder, plain and simple. I should have been able to hold the watts prescribed, or at least be closer. I am working on it very hard. I hope I can go hard AND run at the next race during clubs. It is a new pr speed for me, but it totally should be with no running involved!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Pulled on my shoes and ran through the finish line (the race clock stopped for me at the transition mat) and carried a flag through the arch while they announced my name and city. :) Walked with Scribs back to the hotel to get cleaned up, then got ART from Dr Karl which was painful and awesome. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure...I guess I still need to figure out how to execute a race plan better. I got first OA female, so I can't complain too much, but there is always room for improvement! Second place was toooo close...gotta stay focused in transition as well as the race itself!

Event comments:

I love this race because I've raced it with so many teammates and friends. This year I let Scribs talk me into riding roller coasters (I just found out in January I kinda like um!) but it was scary to ride so many coasters I've NEVER been brave enough to ride before!!! AWESOME!!! Rev3 also had Team RWB there and they had a great display on the beach at the start with a riffle, combat boots and helmet with 2977 on the placard in front of it to commomorate the people who passed in the 9/11 attacks. Very emotional way to start the race, and a great reminder to embrace the day and the freedoms we all have. I loved being there for Jason and Jamie's first HIM, and to support 2 teammates and a friend who did their first full. I also really enjoyed winning OA Female AB when Steve my training partner won the aquabike OA! :) Then after the race, I was so happy to help Pammy and John when they crossed, and being there to support Curt (our OW boat owner!) in his first HIM. Another great weekend with teammates and friends racing and having fun!

Last updated: 2011-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:47 | 1931 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 0/20
Performance: Good
Suit: QR full
Course: sort of a rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:39:00 | 56 miles | 21.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 1/20
Performance: Good
avg hr was 160 avg watts were 162 avg rps were 96
Wind: Little
Course: Rev3 had to change the course last minute so it had a lot more turns than last year, and some sections of chip seal that were horrible. Serious vibrations. Not pleasant. It was basically an out and back with a lolly pop into Milan. Unfortunately being in the last wave meant I had a lot of vehicle traffic to deal with (a lot more than last year for sure, and I was in the last wave then too)
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 96
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-12 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Rev3 Aquabike

2011-09-12 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3683497

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Rev3 Aquabike
Dayum killer, you really took it to 'em! Now I'd have to say that's a bada$$ race for one that says she didn't hit the watts on the bike and ran into the nazzzzteeee on the swim. You keep taking the racing world down without remorse, and I couldn't be happier for you.

Trish, you are one fierce athlete.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Aquabike Rss Feed