General Discussion Race Reports! » VikingMan Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

VikingMan Triathlon - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Heyburn, Idaho
United States
American Heritage Academy
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 25m 11s
Overall Rank = 22/74
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Well, this was an out of town race so had to sleep in a gross Super8 smoking room, blak!feel like I was being poisoned! Got 5hrs sleep, not bad for race nite. Had 1.5 pieces of bread with pb and honey, some coffee, some powerbar. Set up transitions, took bus to swim start and got to hang around a cool barn fire right next to the river. Nicol and I got to chit-chat, she came in right behind me in Emmett so we knew we were each others competition, it was fun sizing each other up and now we're facebook friends, very cool.
Event warmup:

Got in river and swam around, not very fast moving but before i new it, it pushed me a bit passed the stop and had to work my way back, that got me loosened up a little bit.
Swim
  • 26m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

see above
What would you do differently?:

it would be nice to practice swimming in a river and drafting but I just don't have that ability..unless I can get some club members to jump in the Boise and practice drafting..good luck with that me :)
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Got out of water and there were the blessed strippers, awesome!! That really helped my T1 time. Well that and totally ignoring the towel I had there and just slipping my feet in my shoes.

Would love to try a flying mount, haven't ever tried it but it seems so hard, maybe next year.
Bike
  • 3h 02m 47s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.38 mile/hr

I would love to get stronger on the bike and I would love a carbon bike but i think only one of those is possible...as I sit in our rental. Will do some track/trainer work this winter, hoping this fall to get some coaching from my bike guy on cornering, I am waaaay bad at that.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

As I was nearing transition I noticed the guy ahead of me taking his feet out of his shoes and that reminded me to loosen mine, so I did that. Found rack ok.

Had some time wasted getting my feet out of shoes, had to sit, then put running shoes on. I really need tri shoes to speed things up. Oh, also forgot to put my freaking run hat on, nice but luckily put my sunglasses on.
Run
  • 1h 53m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, started the run fast as always in the 7's and 8's but by the time I hit mile 4 think it slowed to 8.5 or 9 and it went down from there. I was really hot and uncomfortable by mile 10..got kind of tingly, figured that wasn't good. Every aid station I dumped one water on my head and took one on the run and would squeeze top so not to loose to much and took tiny sips. I never slow down at aid stations, poor volunteers, there's some splashing but maybe they were hot too :)

Go Faster!! Need to train more and better
Post race
Warm down:

Ran thru the finish grabbed some chocolate milk and watermelon then hobbled over to the river and jumped in, AHHHH! I had been dreaming of that on the run and it was as awesome as I anticipated, just soaked in there for about 10min when I realized I needed to eat. Oh, also had a great massage, nice!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, my training of course but the heat definately didn't help. think it was only 85 or so but crap my body thought it was 100 ;)

Event comments:

Yes I did have a great race (1st place overall masters women) but racing on chip seal really sucks, there were lots of flats out there. The town did that last year too, way sucky, I kept praying not to get a flat, I was very lucky..Nicol got one, not fun. Lots of turns so had to slow and speed up a lot which taxes your muscles, though it was flat and that's always nice. The wind was tough to deal with but everyone had to so alls fair I guess. There was lots of healthy offerings after the race watermelon,cucumber,carrots?? really, I wanted a freakin cheeseburger or pizza, something to sink my teeth into but maybe I'm the rarity.It really was my best race yet, can't believe how fast I went, big improvement over the boise 70.3 and I'm thrilled with that. Now I have to shorten and sharpen as Robert(bike guy) says, so that's what I'll try over the winter and see how that improves things.

Last updated: 2011-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:53 | 2112 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 13/74
Performance: Good
Suit: exterra
Course: Swam the Snake river, it was great, loved it! I noticed whenever I got closer to shore, Nicol would start getting ahead of me so I would inch my way out to the current more, I tried drafting but maybe the river made it more difficult, I just went as fast as my breathing and siting would allow, best time ever!
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:28
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:02:47 | 56 miles | 18.38 mile/hr
Overall: 26/74
Performance:
Avg. HR 154 max 168 (cal 3,019)
Wind: Headwind
Course: Thought the day was gonna be perfect then I get on the bike and boom massive head wind, bet it was 20+ most of the time. There are lots of turns in this race too so that slows ya down, think there is one leg that allowed for wind behind and I took advantage of that whenever possible, tried to make up some time
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:53:28 | 13.1 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 15/74
unfortunately didn't press stop on watch until we got in car to leave so it's not accurate except for max HR at 176 (total cal for run until we left (1,651)
Course: Flat, no shade
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-09-13 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: VikingMan Triathlon - Half Iron Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » VikingMan Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed