General Discussion Race Reports! » 3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
E. Tawas, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 18m 12s
Overall Rank = 13/164
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 3/31
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 5:30 and started the day with a PB&J and some powerade. drove over to the race with the family. Set up transition and took the bike out for a spin to make sure everything is good. After that wnet for a quick run and I was ready. I waked everything over to the car and walked over to the swim start with my family. I felt great coming into the race and was very calm becasue I had a plan and I was sticking to it.
Event warmup:

Did the short bike and short run. I did get a few strokes in the water and was ready to go.
Swim
  • 37m 50s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall good swim. First 100 yards, there was some bumping but not bad at all. After that it opened up and I just swam my race. never found any feet to follow so went at it alone. I did have one guy who followed my feet but when he was in front he could not keep a straight line so I went by him and he followed me. Sighting was good kept right by the buoy's at the way around.
What would you do differently?:

I may be should go harder but This was one of my best overall time at a 1/2 ironman swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

Long run up from beach. Average was over well over 3 min.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 45m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride for me. I had a plan of taking the first 6 mile easy. It is up hill so I wanted to make sure I did not push my self to hard. Once I turned onto river road I increased the pace and was able to keep the pace high most of the rest of the ride. Up the hills I worked on my cadence to keep it above 80. I wanted to just spin up the hills and push the flats. I wanted to be about 2:45 and I hit that mark. I could have maybe went a little harder but I wanted to make sure I had alot left for the run. Started with Aero bar Warter bottle full of Ironman perform. Behine seat started with bottle of Perpetum with 3 scoops for a total of 810 cal. At the first water stop I got bottle of Heed mile 15. Second stop got bottle of heed mile 35. After cook dam road put most of 2nd bottle in AB holder and got a bottle of water for the ride home. Did not dring to much of the water but drank about 1/2 of the bottle. I also had 1 bag of the powerbar gel blasts and 2 powerbar gels.

I need to work on climbing. I just dont do it very well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Everything went just fine. Kept it simple Race belt, Shoes, Hat. That is it.

Went well.
Run
  • 1h 49m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Great run. According to my Garim the race was 13.43 miles. This was confirmed by a few people after the race. So my average mile time was 8:07. This is the first time in a 1/2 ironman where I felt strong the whole run. Started run with gum in my mounth and it worked great to keep the dry mouth away. I started the run with the thought of keeping the pace about 7:45 to 8:00 per mile. I did slow down at rest stops to get water and heed. I did drink about 4 glasses of Coke. I also took a gel at mile 3 and 9. I also took 3 electrite pills at start of run and 2 more after 6 miles. This seemed to help. I never felt tired during the run. I did slow down on the second lap but I felt strong the whole run. I passed about 20 people on the run and no one passed me except for no guy but I ended up passing hime at mile 11. Overall a great race and course. The run course is about 1/2 shade and 1/2 sun. This was by far my best effort on the 1/2 ironman run.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

At finish Line the legs cramped up bad so I had to sit for a bit but it went away after about 5 min. Just walked around with Wife and Kids and waited for results.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This race was a PR by 30 min. so I dont think I could have done to much more.

Event comments:

This is a great race. 3D did a great job. The vol. were great. Thanks tawas for letting us invade your town for a day. The only problem was the run was long. I had it at 13.43 and so did a few other people. But overall I loved the new run course. The shade on the run course was great. I am doing IMOO nest year but I will be back in 2013.

Last updated: 2011-03-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:50 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/31
Overall: 29/164
Performance: Good
Suit: Wet Suit
Course: Out and Back. 1 lap
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:52
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:45:59 | 56 miles | 20.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/31
Overall: 42/164
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with 2 hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:49:21 | 13.1 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/31
Overall: 8/164
1 - 8:03 2 - 7-51 3 - 8:00 4 - 8:01 5 - 8:08 6 - 8:04 7 - 7:59 8 - 8:15 9 - 8:21 10 - 8:29 11 - 8:06 12 - 8:11 13 - 8:14
Course: Flat out and back. 2 laps.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-13 3:09 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Myers, FL
Subject: 3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance

2011-09-13 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3684794

Subject: RE: 3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance

Hey, great race!  I agree on the course being long- it's actually the third year in a row it was long.  I finished 2nd in your (our) age group.

Keep up the good work,

peace

ben

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed