General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Now that race season is over I am lacking motivation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-15 10:01 AM

Subject: Now that race season is over I am lacking motivation

I have just been a huge slug since my last race in August.  I have only been on my bike an few times and have only ran a handul of times.  Due to that and my diet, I have gained 8 lbs!  I am depressed as hell.  Like right now; my should be at the gym but I would rather lay in bed and feel sad.  I understand "post race blues" but this is way beyond that. 

Can anyone relate?

2011-09-15 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3687753

User image

Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Now that race season is over I am lacking motivation

I know what you mean. After a bad race in June I didn't really do a whole lot of running or swimming over the summer as I did not have a firm race in mind for the fall. I kinda fell into a funk and figured it would work itself out. Last weekend I went and volunteered at a local HIM and it got me back into wanting to race again (so much so that I signed up for the sprint race that was the following day) Now I am motivated and ready to train again.

I would recommend volunteering at a race as the atmosphere there will pick you back up. It doesn't even have to be a Tri, it can be a local 5k or something like that. Or just pick a race and prepare for it even if you don't do as well as normal. It sounds like what is needed is a motivator and hopefully this might help.

2011-09-15 11:52 AM

New user

I have become "burnt out" after a long season of racing.  I have one more race this weekend, which I'm trying to get my self to relax and really have fun at it to finish out the year.

To keep my self motivated for the off season, I've committed to a few races for next year, I'm going to stop triathlon specific training for the rest of 2011.  In place of it, I'm going to focus on some running events this fall (focus on just running, not running at the end of a tri), as my run speed fell off this past year.  I've also scoped out several classes at my gym (boot camp, body pump, yoga) to work on strength, core, and flexibility.  I'm going to participate in some pick up basketball this fall with some co-workers too.  I will join up with training friends for runs, bikes, and swims, but I'm making them more social until 2012.  I'm trying to find ways to have fun, stay active, and work on some weak areas too.

2011-09-15 11:54 AM

User image

New user

I can certainly sympathize!

I find it helpful to set a deadline of some sort for myself - a registration for a race works best for me. That way I can work backwards from that race date to develop a workout plan to reach a specific goal I set for the event.

Once I invest in the thought-work I find it easier to get off my butt and get on the bike/road/water.

HTH    -SP

2011-09-15 1:24 PM

It is a small step but I managed to get to the pool this afternoon for laps.  It felt good all be it slow.

I think I am going to do the Jingle Bell 5k in November.  It is small but at least it is something to focus on.

Syracuse 70.3 is next weekend.  I think I will try to go.  I love watching people in transition.

2011-09-15 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3688200

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Not sure where you are located, but there are 5k and 10k runs within an hours drive of me most every weekend.  There are usually also Turkey Trots for Thanksgiving Day and also New Year's events.  I started an event called the splash and dash and it was on January 1 at 8:00 a.m.     It was a short swim followed by a 2 mile run.  We have to hope for good weather to run outside, but look for those types of events to keep doing different things.

2011-09-15 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3688200

User image

New user
Becca4277 - 2011-09-15 2:24 PM

It is a small step but I managed to get to the pool this afternoon for laps.  It felt good all be it slow.

Way to go!!!!

2011-09-15 6:24 PM

New user
Paducah, KY
Anyway u can find alternative sports to train during the off season?  I like doing  a lot of things and it seems there is always a sport at some time of the year.  Just this weekend we are doing a Warrior Dash for fun.  
2011-09-15 6:56 PM

User image

Chesapeake, VA

Glad to hear that you got back in the pool. Making the first step can often be the hardest

I took a look at your blog (Nice job on the blog) and noticed that you are training for a 1/2 Iron distance sometime in 2012. It seems hard to get motivated especially as the weather gets colder and maybe it would be good to have an accountability partner to support you throughout your training. Someone that could check in once in a while, maybe on a weekly basis and see how things are going. It could be a friend that lives nearby or even someone on BT that is going through a similar situation in their training could help each other.

2011-09-16 9:34 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
I am still in post IM blues from May.  I had great races in April and May, but since I am nothing.  I raced a sprint in August, but I only SBR a very little.  I have a race in a week that was supposed to be a Oly, but I switched to the sprint.  I am very unmotivated right now and it has to change before I start tyraining for a mary in march and IM in May.  I of course put on 7 pounds since my give a meter hit 0
2011-09-16 11:29 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

My plan is to take it one day at a time.  I feel so great after a workout, but then I make an excuse.  My goal is 1 a day and maybe some iceing of a second workout here and there. 

2011-09-16 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3689505

TriPatrick - 2011-09-16 11:29 AM

My plan is to take it one day at a time.  I feel so great after a workout, but then I make an excuse.  My goal is 1 a day and maybe some iceing of a second workout here and there. 

That is so me.  I workout, feel great, and then skip the next few days, then feel horrible about myself.  Rinse and repeat.  Like today; told myself I was going to either spin or yoga.  My lazy went back to bed after the kids went to school and then I brought the dog to the park.  That is it.  I am still raw and hurting "down there" from my bike earlier in the week.  Ugh, it really sucks.

2011-09-18 6:43 PM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
I typically find that if I catch a late season 5K/10K/15K it keeps me motivated to at least run and bike for off days.  Now come December it is a different story but I typically take 3 weeks off in December for recovery and then hit it hard come Jan 1.  I have a 15K in October and a 1/2 marathon the beginning of November and hopefully I can stay motivated through the end of the month.  Good luck and as said before take it a day at a time and do not beat yourself up too much.  I have gained 10 pounds and re entered the Clyde zone since making a move in July.
2011-10-20 3:47 PM

User image

Regular

Best advice I have received - you have two training seasons - one during race season and one off. Now is the time to do things you would never d during the season - like I am reading "Total Immersion" for swimming as i look to improve my stroke - I rode a metric century and looking for the imperial century  as well  - hard to do when I am racing. Experiment with your pick - I picked up a different cassette of eBay for cheap and played around with it - again I would never think to do it during season. Will race a 5k soon and looking for other road races. 

I am also hooking with a personal trainer for some ideas on core and strength training changes. Heading back for more spin classes. 

I look at my non-race season as the time to really change things, look at improving technique, etc. 

2011-10-21 12:47 PM

Expert
Golden, CO
I just posted this exact same thing in the Iron Distance thread.  I think I am going to set some goals. Maybe a few races in the winter to get me motivated.  The biggest thing for me right now is the lack of control eating.  Put on 10 lbs.  It is all stuff I wasn't eating during training..and my portions have doubled and tripled.. Ugh.
2011-10-27 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I think that finding a new challenge to motivate yourself in the offseason will work, I know its helped me. My last Triathlon was in September. After that, I decided that I would train for my first ever half marathon in November. Training for that has kept me pretty busy and motivated. After I am done the Half Mary, I will be starting the Insanity workout program for 2 months in the off season to try and shed some excess pounds and get out of the s/b/r for a bit (I will still be doing each once a week with tri club). Come February, I will start training for my 2012 season which will consist of 1/2 mary in May and first Oly Tri in June. I feel like my plan will keep me motivated all winter long until race season starts again. Hope this helps you.

2011-10-27 4:22 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
I have registered and paid for a Triathlon for next June.  I have vowed to work my butt off over the winter, just for this event, then do three more before September.  (Along with the usual long distance bike ride that I do}.  Man I'm dreaming of how easy these events will be when I'm not pushing 275!!!
2011-11-18 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

The race organizers in my area have started opening up 2012 races for entry, so I've planned out 2012 already.  This is some motivation for me.  The biggest motivator, aside from simply loving to ride and swim, are my logs.  I record every workout session in my logs and when I start to see a lot of blank spaces in the calendar view ... that's motivation enough for me.  I totally slacked out during October, but with the 2012 season planned out, it's back on for me.

Try logging in every workout and see if this helps with focus.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Now that race season is over I am lacking motivation Rss Feed