IronGirl
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 16s
Overall Rank = 132/250
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

A different pre-race routine for me since I was home alone. I usually like quiet but I think having someone to talk to may be helpful with pre-race jitters! I packed the night before so all I needed was to get dressed, eat, and head out the door. Had my usual oatmeal/soy milk/dried cranberries for breakfast and headed out from home at about 5:50AM.
Event warmup:

After settling on a transition spot that I could locate mid-race, I went for a quick ride to loosen up my legs. Shortly after my ride, I saw Autumn, so we went for a quick run before the race start. It was cool at the start so it helped me to move a bit and allowed me to comfortably shed some layers. (Note: Times are all from my Forerunner and bike computer. Offical times aren't posted yet.)
Run
  • 29m 23s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was comfortable for me, though I went out a little too fast in the pack. I was surprised that I ran it slower than I've been running in training and expected to run closer to 27 minutes. In the long run, it was probably not a bad thing that I started a little slower.
What would you do differently?:

Pace myself according to what I know I can do from the start so I can run a more consistent pace throughout.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

I was shocked to see how slow this time was. Could be that I was STARVING when I came in from the run and ate 1/2 a Clif Bar? I was aware that I wasn't hurrying, as I have in other races. Maybe that's not a bad thing when you know you aren't shaving seconds off your time to finish in a high spot! I was also as far as you could be from the exit of the T-area. Too far to run in bike shoes. Should have reversed my T-area.

Speed up! Eat on the run rather than put gloves on while trying to move bike the entire length of the T-area. Do a better job selecting T-area from the start.
Bike
  • 1h 02m
  • 18 miles
  • 17.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great on the bike and was really pleased to see that my bike split was in the top half, even though my overall finish was just below that. The no-passing zone on this course was really frustrating. It was probably three miles total (out and back) and I ended up following someone on the way back who was going 12mph! I followed the rules (like Autumn) but saw others who didn't. There was a short stretch in the trail that was a legitimate no-pass zone, but I think it could have been a shorter distance overall. On the way out, one of the street crossings had traffic (and 55mph) and I actually had to stop and unclip before I could continue. Not good planning. I was surprised how much traffic was on the course, especially when there were hills with no shoulders to speak of. As for the hills, most of them I pedaled right through without a lot of difficulty, but there were a couple that slowed me down. I started to cramp in my calves coming back in, but managed to work through it. I was pretty excited on one downhill when I hit 32 mph!

Ride more hills. Pass even more aggressively before the no-pass zone. More long rides.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

I am clearly not the queen of transitions, but this one was better than my first! We entered the T-area at the same spot we exited, so I again had a long run (walk!) with my bike.

Practice transitions!
Run
  • 15m 46s
  • 1.5 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

This was SLOW. I have had jelly legs coming off my bike in other races, but this time, I could hardly feel my legs moving. I moved them, though, and somehow managed to pass some people! I did walk for about 60 steps at a water stop. It's clear where I need to improve!

Hmmm...run faster?
Post race
Warm down:

Had a post-race breakfast with Autumn and her family. Met a couple of other women from my athletic club. Stayed around for the awards - there was some nice stuff! Autumn already mentioned the grab-bag approach for some of the give-aways. It was quite something to see women diving over each other to get to the box of goodies! I came home with three cool 'technical fabric' shirts. After every participant had one, they gave them away to anyone who wanted one. My daughter now has an official "Iron Girl" nightgown:).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have made a lot of progress this season and have improved in each of my three races. More time in training will continue to pay off. I beat my goal, which was to break 2 hours. I'm pretty pleased and know where I need to work :).

Event comments:

I had a great time at this race and hope it comes back to the Twin Cities next year - without the no-passing zone!

Last updated: 2005-09-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:23 | 03 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/250
Performance: Average
Course: Flat out and back with one slight incline on the way out and an uphill back into the transition area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:37
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:02:00 | 18 miles | 17.42 mile/hr
Overall: 118/250
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Flat with some moderate hills. Out and back.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:15:46 | 01.5 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 0/250
Performance: Below average
Course: Repeat of 3 mile course, but only half way out before turning around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-18 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Subject: IronGirl Duathlon

2005-09-18 10:17 AM
in reply to: #248667

User image

Veteran
Vero Beach,Florida
Subject: RE: IronGirl Duathlon
Way to go. Great report. Sounds like perfect weather for a race.
2005-09-18 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Good race Kris! I am looking forward to next year and racing myself. The difference between training and racing must be huge. Don't beat yourself up on the transitions - look at it as a chellenge to improve on! YOu did a great job - I'm proud of you!

2005-09-18 1:19 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
hey kris! it was great racing with you and hanging out before and after. you did a great job, especially since this is your longest race to date! i hope they have irongirl here again next year, but with an improved bike course. anyway, congratulations! see you at autumn woods.
2005-09-18 1:20 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
hey, how did you find out your overall rank????
2005-09-18 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
As I was leaving yesterday, I noticed that the prelim results were posted on the back side of the Penn Cycle trailer.  The official results are up now - and my times from my calculations were about a minute off, but nothing significant!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IronGirl Duathlon Rss Feed