Charleston Triathlon Club
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 15m 57s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke 3:30 AM and got a shower. Got the kids up packed the car up and on the way to the race by 4:30. Little sluggish because I didn't get finished at work until about 11PM.
Event warmup:

No real warm up except for the 1 mile walk down the beach to the swim start.
Swim
  • 37m 57s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not real sure what happened on the swim. My sighting was terrible. Heard some people fussing about one of the bouys released and moving down the course which could explain a lot. About the time I reached the bouy they were hooking it to a jet ski and pulling it back the other way. Not sure what was wrong but if that's what it certainly would make me feel a lot better about my swim time. Also included in the swim time was a long run up the soft sand to the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

Work on sighting and avoid any course malfunctions.
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Took a little extra time to drink some extra water and had some trouble with the wetsuit.

Work on getting out of my wetsuit a little more smoothly.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 53s
  • 27.96 miles
  • 18.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Last few sprints I've come out a little too hard on the bike and didn't have much for the run. This was my first Oly, so I knew I needed to save a little for the run. Came out too slow the first 10 - 14 miles and picked it up the second half of the course. Going out everytime I got into an open area, it seemed like a strong headwind but after the turn around, the headwind was still there. Didn't seem to be too many braks out there today.

Maybe not hold back so much on the first half of the course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Quite a few relays teams in my area so there were a few people still hanging around. Everyone was real nice and got out of the way as quickly as they realized they were in the way.

Could have saved a few seconds with no one in the way but it's not like I was competing for the podium, so no big deal.
Run
  • 1h 05m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

The run has always been a huge struggle for me. I've actually never even ran 6.2 miles before today. My longest run before today was 5 miles. I was able to run the whole time with the exception of getting water. While my time was terrible it was actually kind of a mental thing for me to be able to do it with having to walk.

Speed up.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Pizza and a coke with my wife and 2 girls.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still carrying too much weight. I need to drop another 20lbs to be able to start turning in some respectable times.

Event comments:

Tis was my first season of triathlons and today was my first Oly. It's been quite a change over the last year. I've lost 50lbs (although I've put about 10 back on in the last 2 months) and began to get physically active again. I've always been very athletic and generally in good physical shape until the last few years. I played football, baseball and basketball in high school and football in college. About half way through the run I began to get extremly frustrated because I knew that I was going to be BOP again and was getting passed by some very un-athletic looking people. (No offense to them, they were kicking my butt) Then I began to reflect back on my first season and I'm proud of how far I've come. One year ago, I would have thought that I would have been much more likely to have been laid up in the hospital with a heart attack today rather than finishing my first Oly tri. So I've still got a long way to go but I'm proud of how far I've come even if I was BOP today.

Last updated: 2011-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:57 | 1640 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Point to point straight down the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:28:53 | 27.96 miles | 18.87 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: A long T out of transition.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:05:06 | 06.21 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: First mile is back down to and down the beach. Next five are through a neighborhood with several fingers in and out.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-18 5:00 PM

New user
Walterboro
Subject: Kiawah Island Triathlon

2011-09-19 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3691253

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Kiawah Island Triathlon
Nice job Wesley! Your first Oly and you did great. Congrats too on the weight loss. I got into triathlons myself a few years ago to help lose weight and got hooked on the lifestyle. Yesterday's race was really nice. Perfect weather. I almost followed that runaway buoy myself! How about a woman winning the entire race? She was impressive.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kiawah Island Triathlon Rss Feed