General Discussion Race Reports! » FUNtastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

FUNtastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hull, Massachusetts
United States
Fast Forward Race
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 14s
Overall Rank = 161/387
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6, finished packing, breakfast, packed car, and drove to the race, which was all of 5 miles away in the next town over. Set up transition, chatted with other racers, and tried to stay warm. It was quite windy, and rather chilly (was 51 on the car thermometer when I left my house). On shore breeze was kicking up some decent waves. More on that later...
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam a bit. Water wasn't too cold (all relative to air temp!). Pretty rough in the water.
Swim
  • 10m 58s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

The onshore breeze kicked up just before race start, and the water was anything but calm. Waded in over waist deep then started swimming. Things went badly in short order. This was a real disaster once I got about 100 yards in. Was doing OK breathing on the top of the swells before the drop into the troughs. Then I got a mouthful of water on a breath and gaged badly. Had to grab a kayak to get my breath back. Spent a couple minutes there as I ppit/hacked out the seawater then started on my way around the bouy.

When I could actually swim, things were smooth and I moved quickly and to where I needed to go. Swim back in was easier as the waves were essentially throwing you toward the beach. Out of the water, and ran the 100 yards or so across the beach and up a ramp to transition. Glad that was over. Oy....
Once around the
What would you do differently?:

Not drink 1/2 gallon of seawater, pray for calmer seas, consider duathlons
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

This went very well, and I went fast enough that I was thinking I forgot to do something, but nope, just fast. Made top 15% of T1 times in the race, so I'll take it

Nothing
Bike
  • 31m 17s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike felt great, and I enjoyed the he11 out of it. Started out a bit too fast, and was riding at 22+ mph the first few miles. No real hills, and I was settled in to a solid cadence the whole time. Passed lots of folks, and was passed by one or two, but thats about it.

After the turn around things became a bit tougher as riders were fighting headwinds the whole way, particularly the final 1/3 of the race. My speed dropped 3-4 mph with same effort.

Thought I may have averaged 20+ on this ride, but just missed it. Love riding my new bike, so it was all good :).

Not much. Just keep working on bike fitness, and enjoying the time I spend riding.
Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Slow getting socks & shoes on. Otherwise OK.

Need to figure out a better way for getting socks/shoes on.
Run
  • 27m 51s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Wasn't sure how this was going to go, so I just found a comfortable pace, and kept it up. No issues, and felt like I could have run all day at that pace. I'm not a fast runner, and quite frankly, need to run more, and plan to this off season. This year was a struggle due to missing so much w/ an injury, but this run was a positive experience for me.

Run more, work on mental aspects of running
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed finish line, gave back chip, then went & had some food at the finishers tent. Pack up and was home in about 15 minutes after I crossed the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Many thoughts about this race/season. For the race, the swim was a trainwreck. The big waves were something I'd not had much experiece with during my OWS swims. Bike was a big improvement this year, and the run has come back somewhat, but needs work.

This was my season ending tri, so I'm thinking about offseason work. Run, run, and some additional run is highly likely, along with some good bike workout, and for now just maintenance on the swim.

One other thing I want to work on is the mental side of it. I need to figure out how to push myself more.

Event comments:

Good local race. Did this last year, and I think this year was better run, and the run course layout of finishing on the beach was great. I'll likely do this again next year.

Last updated: 2011-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:58 | 440 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/387
Performance: Bad
Suit: Xterra Vortez
Course: Triangle out to a single bouy, then back into beach
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:17 | 10 miles | 19.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/
Overall: 34/387
Wind: Headwind
Course: out & back on a peninsula. Exposed to ocean winds most of the time
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:52
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:51 | 03 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/387
Course: Out & back on the beach - hard packed sand at low tide. Great idea, and it was a beautiful day for it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-19 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: FUNtastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon

2011-09-23 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3691730

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: FUNtastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon
Now you have rough waters to compare all the other swims to!  Nice job Mike! You had a great season and this has been a perfect starting point for you-you can work on different things and come back next year with a nice fat PR right off the bat!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » FUNtastic Nantasket Beach Triathlon Rss Feed