Dover-Sherborn Boosters
47F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 29s
Overall Rank = 191/315
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/21
Pre-race routine:

got up and dressed. had a bagel and a cup of coffee. drove over and got registered. set up my run transition.

was sick for two weeks or so before the race. so nervous on how I would do. kept pushing my goal time back in my head with good reason.
Event warmup:

rode over to farm pond instead of dropping my bike off. didn't push too hard on the hills kept high rpm and low mph.

got in the water about 20 minutes before start. swam a bit and got used to the water.
Swim
  • 08m 23s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

pretty good swim. kept right up with the guy who came in third in his age group, a friend of a friend. so that felt good.

had zero problem sighting. would only get off course when following other swimmers.

i started in the back as usual. with the run to the water start, there was a backlog of swimmers getting up to speed. i had to wait a bit until I could start swimming. if I start in the front, i will get passed but I won't have to fight as much.
What would you do differently?:

nothing. swallowed too much water, but other than that really good swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 51s
Comments:

since this is a two transition race. i didn't want to forget anything. took time to pack up and make sure everything was in my bag before I left.

also, put on a jacket due to cooler temps.

had issue getting my wesuit off

when no strippers are available, need to forget about being delicate. just park my ass on the ground and take off my suit.

it got stuck on my heels, and I couldn't lift my legs up. finally sat down and took it off.

did OK getting out of T1 and onto my bike and up to speed.
Bike
  • 52m 29s
  • 14.8 miles
  • 16.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Need to get more bike time in. Also need to get re-fitted and change my aero position. definetly not comfortable.

without any training nothing.

need more hill repeats, and fine tune my aero position. I should be more comfortable in aero position even without too much training time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Had an issue racking my bike. the guy next to me put his bike over my number, so I had to move his bike so mine would fit.

taking jacket off slowed me down, and had an issue with the run belt. I tried putting it on before my shoes. i can put that on on my way out of T2.

On the plus side pulling my feet out of my shoes and running in bare feet felt more natural than i thought. definetly a time saver.

not much. don't usually have to take a jacket off, and don't usually have a rack space issue. handled each pretty well considering. it sure felt a lot longer than a minute 21.
Run
  • 29m 23s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

pretty good run. started out a bit too slow, got to a good pace that I was able to maintain for about 2 miles, then had to slow up. especially on the last hill.

again, no training so not much.

pacing was good. and this segment was probably my best of the day.
Post race
Warm down:

wandered around looking for my family.

all three of them missed me on the bike in. they were the last people waiting for bikers. I got some food and drank water/gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

no training of any sort two weeks before the race. I did pretty well considering.

probably bike fit slowed me down. couldn't get comfortable in aero and that slowed me down.

Event comments:

Good race. One aid station on the run.

Not much in the way of post race activities. they had pizza this year, usually it's just breakfast food. although, I did notice this year they were giving food out to the spectators and by the time I got food there wasn't much left, and noticed the food was gone with athletes still out on the course.

If you like hills this is a good race. Not particularly very steep, long hills, just lots of them. But there are some great downhill sections too. Computer says my max speed was 35.

Last updated: 2011-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:23 | 440 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/21
Overall: 146/315
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: a 'rectangular' course. out with perpendicular leg and then back to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:52:29 | 14.8 miles | 16.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/21
Overall: 190/315
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: hilly course on back roads and some main roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:29:23 | 03.2 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/21
Overall: 201/315
Performance: Good
Course: again, hilly course, on back roads near the HS.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes