YMCA
58F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 45m 4s
Overall Rank = 19/69
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5. Had 2 Pop Tarts and 1/2 banana and water. Checked and rechecked supplies and packed the pickup. checked my race plan: swim-go out easy, evaluate new ows surroundings, modify 1/2 way through, bike-go out hard, ease off between miles 5-12 then let it rip, run-8 min pace for miles 1 and 2, evaluate how i feel, modify as needed
Swim
  • 35m 11s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 21s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first Oly tri as well as my first tri in open water. It's is definately different. With only one ows practice I knew this was going to be an experience. I did the 'start in the back outside' and not in the middle and i still managed to completely swim over one person and get my goggles knocked off me twice. Sighting was tough as there were no objects in the distance for reference. I'm sure I was all over the place. I wanted to take the swim somewhat easy since i'm inexperienced and still had 2 hrs of race left but i wanted to go quicker than that. When i got out of the water i was pretty shocked and depressed with my swim time.
What would you do differently?:

more practice swims in open water
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Bike
  • 1h 18m 31s
  • 26.5 miles
  • 20.25 mile/hr
Comments:

my philosophy going into this race was 'float the swim, kill the bike, hang on for the run' so i wanted to push it just enough to have something left. I'm pleased with the 20.3 mph but think i could've gone faster (easy to say now, 3 days after the race). The last couple months i focused more on the bike and it showed. I passed quite a few people on the bike most on uphill climbs.

nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

rack bike, throw on shoes, grab gu packet and off
Run
  • 49m 6s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

/2 mile into my run i heard footsteps behind me and got that immediate "i need to go faster" thought but reminded myself to stick to my race plan of 8 min pace for miles 1 and 2 then evaluate. for the first 2 miles I took in small amounts of gu then dropped it. mile 3 i was feeling good began to pick up the pace then started cramping. cramping wouldn't go away and i thought to myself 'i wish i wouldn't have thrown down that 1/2 of gu packet'. just as i thought that i remember i threw it down somewhere around here (threw it down on the way out and now i'm on the way back) and no kidding there is MY half gu packet. i quick picked it up, looked at the guy who's been behind me the entire run and said "it's mine i swear" and ate the rest. that 1/2 packet kept the cramps away the rest of the run. around mile 4 i was feeling okay so i picked up the pace a bit. a few people passed me on the way and i assumed one of them was the guy who was behind me the entire time. needless to say around mile 5 i began hearing familiar footsteps again, gave a quick look and saw that the same guy who has been behind me the since the start is still there. i evaluated and felt pretty good so decided to kick it in. race my last mile in 7:20. If i would've went out fast i wouldn't have had any gas left. If that guy would've passed me i would've gotten 4th in my AG instead of 3rd

take in a litte more salt on the bike to help with cramping
Post race
Warm down:

bananas, bagels, oranges

Event comments:

$75 entry fee was steep especially since you only got a short sleeve cotton shirt and a tiny package of body glide. good race overall. weather.com said 10% chance of rain the entire morning with 60% chance starting at noon. well that was completely backwards. I misted and rained the entire morning and stopped at 1pm. oh well, everyone had to race in it.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:11 | 1500 meters | 02m 21s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 39/69
Performance: Below average
Suit: No
Course: triangular open water course
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:31 | 26.5 miles | 20.25 mile/hr
Overall: 16/69
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 laps around branched oak lake
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:06 | 06.2 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 29/69
Performance: Average
Course: out and back with 2 miles on gravel
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-20 3:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
Subject: LAST BLAST! Lincoln Y Tri

2011-09-20 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3693897

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: LAST BLAST! Lincoln Y Tri

JPF - Great job!! Nice speed on the bike and swim!

2011-09-20 8:16 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Great race!  Funny about the GU.
2011-09-21 11:21 AM

User image

New user

Great article! Great race too! I only posted to let you know that I was the guy who got 4th in our AG.

But to clarify, I didn't see you or catch up to you until mile 5 or later, so not sure who's footsteps you were hearing earlier in the run. BTW, I saw your GU on the ground, and thought to myself, "Who would waste a perfectly good GU! Maybe they accidentally dropped it... " Glad to see it ended up getting used!

Congrats again on your first Oly tri!
2011-09-21 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3694992

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

ternst11 - 2011-09-21 11:21 AM Great article! Great race too! I only posted to let you know that I was the guy who got 4th in our AG. But to clarify, I didn't see you or catch up to you until mile 5 or later, so not sure who's footsteps you were hearing earlier in the run. BTW, I saw your GU on the ground, and thought to myself, "Who would waste a perfectly good GU! Maybe they accidentally dropped it... " Glad to see it ended up getting used! Congrats again on your first Oly tri!

Hah, small world.  I finished right behind you two and think I may have been the earlier foot steps.  Justin, we had almost identical times on all three legs of the race.  

TJ, I think you passed me on the road back near the park ranger shack.  I had on white/black Zoot Tri suit with Red Zoot shoes.

2011-09-21 12:07 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
after looking at your pictures, yeah you and I came in on the bike at the same time.  I was on the White Trek bike and you passed me right at the last corner.   I was probably 20-30 feet behind you coming out of transition and hung with you for probably the first 4 miles or so and you pulled away at the end.  Nice job

2011-09-22 2:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Sparta
JPF. Congrats! 20+ on the ride is awesome and I'd be tickled with the swim too. I didn't set goals and a plan since my only tri and first tri was this year, but I like the idea of game planning before the race. Will try to implement that next year now that I finished the first one.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LAST BLAST! Lincoln Y Tri Rss Feed