General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2011-09-22 11:20 PM
in reply to: #3693947

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Name: Jennifers/Jenny

What is your Ironman resume? This will be my first IM

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I live in Milwaukee so it's close for training

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? To finish, and enjoy the experience!

What are you most looking forward to? Running into the finish chute, and hearing the words you are an ironman!

Veterans any advice you can give early on?

2011-09-23 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3697268

User image

Expert
chasingkona - 2011-09-22 11:38 PM

Who here has been/or is getting coached for their Ironman training? What are your thoughts on having a coach? I am going into another season bypassing the option of a coach and use BT and Slowtwitch, along with all the conversations I have with fellow training partners to get the ideas flowing in my head about how to undertake the prep going into IM.

I have a coach - this will be my third season.  I hired him first to do IMFL, then last year to get a half IM PR (<6 hours which was a huge accomplishment for me).  I have a pretty unpredictable work schedule - ex. going up North for work next week, leave at noon on Sunday and will get back at 6 pm Friday.  Working at least 12 hours a day.  Having the coach allows me to prioritize my workouts and give me a focus I wouldn't normally have.  He keeps me calm when life gets in the way and I have to switch up my schedule.  (It can also happen last minute.  For example if there is a train derailment within 4 hours of here, my life could turn upside down for the next 2-3 weeks.  I am an environmental engineer.)

2011-09-23 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
chasingkona - 2011-09-22 10:38 PM

There is a handful of us in or close to the Madison area so maybe a BT training camp next summer at some point may be in order? 

Who here has been/or is getting coached for their Ironman training? What are your thoughts on having a coach? 

Ben, love the idea of a training camp, seriously, I might be in for something like that...I am doubtful that we would get up there more than twice next summer (I have little kids) but a dedicated chunk of time might be more beneficial than trying to cobble together multiple trips up to ride the course.

I am seriously considering coaching.  My husband and I have done ok being self coached at shorter distances, but with both of us training and racing the exact same schedule, sometimes we have a hard time with a "canned" plan.  It might be worth the money to have someone to help us sort out what is important and how to keep the important stuff from falling through the cracks.

2011-09-23 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

Another IM newbie chiming in.

Name: mighty mom/ Christina

What is your Ironman resume? This will be my first IM.

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin?  Time of year.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012?  To finish with a smile on my face.

What are you most looking forward to? Hearing those famous words spoken by Mike Riley and living a childhood dream. 

2011-09-23 12:00 PM

I raced IMMOO in '10 & '11, lost my iron virginity at Wisconsin, I guess I am partial but this course is tremendous! Volunteers, crowd support, the venue, great place for an Ironman, I am not racing this year, taking a year off from ironman racing but if I had any advice at all for any "newbies" out there is this... Please throw all your time goals out the window, seriously don't even wear a watch, take in the race, the crowd, there are so many things that can and probably will happen that you did not plan for that can throw a wrench in your gameplan, adapt and overcome! People told me my 1st year not tomworry about a time goal, that no one really cares except for myself, your family just wants fonder yu finish! I worried about my time the whole race and did not really truly enjoy it to it's full extent, you only race ironman for your 1st time once, enjoy it! Get used to a mass swim start and alot of contact, take the bike easier than you think and run a smart marathon and you will be happy with your goals! Most of all enjoy the journey! I love ironman but I loved the training and goal focus for a entire year much more! Have fun!!
2011-09-23 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past

snip...

Who here has been/or is getting coached for their Ironman training? What are your thoughts on having a coach? I am going into another season bypassing the option of a coach and use BT and Slowtwitch, along with all the conversations I have with fellow training partners to get the ideas flowing in my head about how to undertake the prep going into IM.

I typically follow the "I'll do it myself" approach, but I'm changing things up this year - coach (drill instructor) for me, hopefully starting next week - AZ prep and MOO '12.  

2011-09-23 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3697889

User image

Expert

That is interesting about not following any time goal.  So if this is my first do I base it off of perceived exertion while on the course?  I would think I should have some time idea as a target right?  I think it would be most important to try to base that target off of realistic training data and past experience. 

I have been reading the race reports from this years race and I haven't gotten through all of them but it seems like a pretty consistent pattern of "had decent swim, pushed it too hard on bike and bonked and struggled on the run."  Is that just IM racing or do people just push too hard on the bike?

HawkeyeNation - 2011-09-23 12:00 PM I raced IMMOO in '10 & '11, lost my iron virginity at Wisconsin, I guess I am partial but this course is tremendous! Volunteers, crowd support, the venue, great place for an Ironman, I am not racing this year, taking a year off from ironman racing but if I had any advice at all for any "newbies" out there is this... Please throw all your time goals out the window, seriously don't even wear a watch, take in the race, the crowd, there are so many things that can and probably will happen that you did not plan for that can throw a wrench in your gameplan, adapt and overcome! People told me my 1st year not tomworry about a time goal, that no one really cares except for myself, your family just wants fonder yu finish! I worried about my time the whole race and did not really truly enjoy it to it's full extent, you only race ironman for your 1st time once, enjoy it! Get used to a mass swim start and alot of contact, take the bike easier than you think and run a smart marathon and you will be happy with your goals! Most of all enjoy the journey! I love ironman but I loved the training and goal focus for a entire year much more! Have fun!!

2011-09-23 2:38 PM

User image

Expert

No coach for me.  Had enough trouble convincing the wife to let me drop over $600 on a race let alone a coach-haha.

I am using the Don Fink Competative program.

Who here has been/or is getting coached for their Ironman training?

2011-09-23 2:47 PM

I know it's extremely difficult not to have goals, it's alot of why we train so hard and push ourselves so hard, my belief after two ironmans is that its a difficult day and many many things are thrown at you so try not to get to wrapped up in time goals because if you are not hitting "xx" goal it can wear on your mental capabilities and take away trona special day. I also believe many people including me cook themselves on the bike, nutrition and bike pacing are two of the most difficult things for people to get down in long course racing, train for it and work on religiously and don't get wrapped up what other racers are doing, follow your plan, it's hard but your marathon will be much more rewarding!
2011-09-23 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3698103

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

I cannot justify any more spending on this sport this year so I'm leaning toward using Don Fink's Intermediate program.  On the other hand, I don't need new skis so maybe....  But then again the kids are likely going to need new skis. 

I guess I'm more concerned about how to get me from now to starting the program in Feb rather than using the program itself. 

2011-09-23 7:14 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Great start to the thread!!! Looks like we have a big group already with a mix of IM virgins and veterans. There is a handful of us in or close to the Madison area so maybe a BT training camp next summer at some point may be in order? And for those coming to ride the course from out of town....keep in mind that Madison has some of the best cycling routs in all of the Midwest/US so don't just ride the loop of you have time, Blue Mounds has harder and bigger hills then the course provides.

My coach is Brett Petersen, from Petersen Performance Labs and I believe he made a big difference to my 2011 IM WI performance.  While my PR was only 19 minutes, I believe it would have been much greater if I had not broken my front cable and lost 25 minutes getting fixed (and who knows how much more because I spent a great deal of time in my 39 before I reached out to SAG.

Working with this coach has given me far greater focus.  I actually spent less time training in '11 than '10, but the workouts were more structured and provided greater intensity than just a lot of bike or run miles which is what I normally gravitate towards.  That allowed me to stay injury free--key for me.

2011-09-23 10:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
I will be getting a plan from a coach, and relying on a friend who raced in 09 and this year for some "coaching" help.  I will need the help for sure!!
2011-09-24 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
No coach here.  Just planning to tweak a couple things from previous campaigns.
2011-09-24 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3698097

User image

Veteran
tmoran80 - 2011-09-23 2:36 PM

That is interesting about not following any time goal.  So if this is my first do I base it off of perceived exertion while on the course?  I would think I should have some time idea as a target right?  I think it would be most important to try to base that target off of realistic training data and past experience. 

I have been reading the race reports from this years race and I haven't gotten through all of them but it seems like a pretty consistent pattern of "had decent swim, pushed it too hard on bike and bonked and struggled on the run."  Is that just IM racing or do people just push too hard on the bike?

HawkeyeNation - 2011-09-23 12:00 PM I raced IMMOO in '10 & '11, lost my iron virginity at Wisconsin, I guess I am partial but this course is tremendous! Volunteers, crowd support, the venue, great place for an Ironman, I am not racing this year, taking a year off from ironman racing but if I had any advice at all for any "newbies" out there is this... Please throw all your time goals out the window, seriously don't even wear a watch, take in the race, the crowd, there are so many things that can and probably will happen that you did not plan for that can throw a wrench in your gameplan, adapt and overcome! People told me my 1st year not tomworry about a time goal, that no one really cares except for myself, your family just wants fonder yu finish! I worried about my time the whole race and did not really truly enjoy it to it's full extent, you only race ironman for your 1st time once, enjoy it! Get used to a mass swim start and alot of contact, take the bike easier than you think and run a smart marathon and you will be happy with your goals! Most of all enjoy the journey! I love ironman but I loved the training and goal focus for a entire year much more! Have fun!!

Edited by bertgwen 2011-09-24 9:02 AM
2011-09-24 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3698776

User image

Regular
Stoughton, WI

I have to say, I did not have any real goals in mind - a target range - but mostly - I wanted to enjoy the whole experience and finish. I normally do not operate this way. I knew from others though that there are so many variables beyond your control. All you can do is control your mental state. When it comes down to it - it is all about your mental outlook. My only mental low point this year was my flat tire. Even though I ended up in medical - and eventually the ER - I never was at a low point on the run. I obviously didn't stick to my nutrition/hydration plan during the flat tire fiasco (took at least 30 minutes). BUT - by being smart and not focusing on a time goal, I believe I was able to finish. Had I freaked out about being "behind" on my goal - I would have gotten into even more trouble and I would not have finished. I watched my heartrate and cadence on the bike. Heartrate on the run. I made sure to keep drinking on the run and do a walk/run - since I knew that I was SO dehydrated!

What I would do different this year - I would work on my power on the bike. My endurace really improved, but I never got that much faster. I am not doing IM - probably ever again. It was such a GREAT experience, I don't want to be disappointed. Plus - our kids are getting way too busy. Enjoy the experience. Including the training. Have goals there - put specific time goals aside for race day. Good luck!

[tmoran80 - 2011-09-23 2:36 PM

2011-09-24 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI

I too will be going with a coach this year mainly because I really need to lock down my nutrition and also increase my efficiency on the bike.  I agree that  a BT training weekend would be a cool idea.

As for no time goal - I have one in my head but I don't want to get hung up on it and then if I am not going to meet it get upset.  I know how many variables including weather, bike issues, nutrition, etc go into each race and each performance.  IF one thing is off your time goal can go out the window. (This has happened to me before)

2011-09-25 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise

Name: Fredsrider/Nicole

What is your Ironman resume? IMWI 2009,2010, 2011 (lots of other races) IMFL 2011. 2012 starts with CDA, WI, & AZ.

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I live in the Madcity; we have only lived here 3 years, but I have found it is a fabulous place to train with all the hills, and the Tri community is wonderful here. The Volunteers and Crowds make WI a really fun course to race.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Race tough and see how my day unfolds

What are you most looking forward to? The start. I enjoy the swim, even with all the contact. Crossing the finish line Never ever gets old.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Do not stress over a few missed workouts. Find a plan and follow it. Recovery during training is very important physically and mentally, as more is better does not apply.  ASK questions here on BT.  Buy quality gear. Practice changing a flat tire during the season. Nothing new on race day EVER <this is pretty much standard I know, but resist the temptation of anything new. Nutrition - get it down before race day. I always have my Garmin set to buzz every 15 minutes on the bike, so I do not forget to take in nutrition.  The day goes very quickly, so enjoy all the moments you can.   PM me or ask on here if you have any specific questions about WI,  as I am always happy to help anyone out.

Nicole

2011-09-25 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise

Great start to the thread!!! Looks like we have a big group already with a mix of IM virgins and veterans. There is a handful of us in or close to the Madison area so maybe a BT training camp next summer at some point may be in order? And for those coming to ride the course from out of town....keep in mind that Madison has some of the best cycling routs in all of the Midwest/US so don't just ride the loop of you have time, Blue Mounds has harder and bigger hills then the course provides.

I have had a Coach since 2009 and what I found is she brought balance to my life because I do not have to take time to make a training plan, wonder if I am doing to much, or not enough, she has moved me forward in my racing goals, and not to mention this has been my best season ever.

With that said, I believe you can train for an Ironman without a coach. I trained for my first Ironman by reading all I could about training for an Ironman,built my base all winter, and then 20 weeks out followed the training plan on BT.

2011-09-26 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3698742

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

wiky - 2011-09-24 8:49 AM No coach here.  Just planning to tweak a couple things from previous campaigns.

I have no coach.  I'm just going to do whatever ^^^this guy^^^ does. (Kidding.  Sort of.)

2011-09-26 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3700120

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Experior - 2011-09-26 8:06 AM

wiky - 2011-09-24 8:49 AM No coach here.  Just planning to tweak a couple things from previous campaigns.

I have no coach.  I'm just going to do whatever ^^^this guy^^^ does. (Kidding.  Sort of.)

If only I had enough talent to do what Rob does on a regular basis!

2011-09-26 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3700194

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
SSMinnow - 2011-09-26 8:56 AM
Experior - 2011-09-26 8:06 AM

Yeah Rob what is your background in this sport or any other the three? More importantly what is your secret? Please share with us!

2011-09-26 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3700194

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

SSMinnow - 2011-09-26 9:56 AM

I've had my share of good fortune.  I think my day might have been over if I had had to work through the things you handled at IMWI this year.

2011-09-26 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3700120

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Experior - 2011-09-26 9:06 AM

Ha.  As much as I'd like to, I def won't be emulating you -- I'd get hurt!  

(For those that don't know, Michael has been averaging something like 90 miles per week on the run for the last two months, with three of those weeks over 100 mpw.

2011-09-26 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3700405

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

chasingkona - 2011-09-26 11:45 AM

Yeah Rob what is your background in this sport or any other the three? More importantly what is your secret? Please share with us!

I train just like everyone else and have had some good luck relative to the field in some races (though obviously not compared to the truly fast).  My background is three years of running and biking from ages 18-20, a complete break for 17 yrs, and a re-connection with tri in '08.  My only secret is that I can barely swim.

Edited by wiky 2011-09-26 11:15 AM
2011-09-28 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3698097

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI

As some others have said.  My race day paces will be based on the following:  Heart rate and cadence on the bike.  HR on the run.  PE on the swim.  Not forgetting to wrap that all in with what I have learned through training during the previous two years.

That worked really well during my Half.  I rode the course this year and I could see why a lot of people get cooked on the bike.  I thought it was tough and it was very easy to spike your HR on the never ending hills.  I'll be focusing on stamina on the bike over the winter and through the year so I can hopefully keep it in zone 2 for the bike leg.

tmoran80 - 2011-09-23 3:36 PM

HawkeyeNation.....................Have fun!!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 45