Central Florida Sports Commision
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 38s
Overall Rank = 142/173
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/28
Pre-race routine:

I planned to get up at 6am, woke at 5 instead. Got out of bed and had a banana and a slice of 12 grain toast with sugar free jelly. Drank a full glass (about 14oz) of lemonaide. Checked over my equipment and waited for my brother to pick me up. While waiting I decided to try this amino-acid sports drink that a friend gave me. I made it up and put it into the feezer until it was time to leave. My brother arived, I gathered my stuff and left.

This was my first Tri so I mostly was interested in taking in the sights and learning.

We got there pretty much without incident. Un-loaded my bike and back-pack and made my way down to the transistion area. I set up my bike and then walked from the water to the transition and back several times to get the feel for how I would do this.

My biggest screw-up was that I didn't realize that the swim-cap was required. I didn't bother to even bring mine. Lucky, I noticed that no one else was capless and I asked about it. I found that I needed it with about 5 minutes before my wave started. Ran fanticly down to the registration tent and asked for another one. They were very nice and provided me with a replacment. I made it back to the start without incident.
Event warmup:

The trasition area was pretty straight foward. Two long columns of bike racks with the exit down the middle. I was slightly unlucky as the bike/equipment placement was pre-determined and my spot was all the way on the inside end next to the fence. I set up my stuff and then made my way down to the swim area. To warm up I went into the water and swam around.
Swim
  • 09m 32s
  • 481 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was suprised how well I did. I only had 4 weeks to train and havent swam in am event setting since I was a teenager. To try to give myself some room I let the pack swim ahead of me before I started. This turned out not to be a very good idea. Being so crowded was really disorienting. I had hope that this would thin out but it never really did. Everytime I felt someone I went to move out of the way, swam for a second, checked my position, and notice I was at a 45 to the course. During the homecomming leg I felt strong enough to try and pass some people. But the I couldnt get the jist of how to get around someone with out getting kicked in the face. I decided to just trail that person till the exit afetr all.
What would you do differently?:

Find a larger pool to train in. The one I use is only 25 meter long and I could never find a rythem in a distance that short.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

I didn't wear a wetsuit so there were no issues with that. I also have a basic bike and was riding with my running shoes so I had no issues there either. I could have changed faster I suppose but I will need to think of different way to do that.

Not sure really. I guess learing about how to be more efficent with everything.
Bike
  • 36m 21s
  • 10.6 miles
  • 17.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Well the course was mainly flat was I was able to make pretty good time given the fact that I only had a very basic bike. Cost about $300 all told. Now I got passed about a million times. But I can take a little pride in the fact that I DID NOT notice getting passed by any bike worth about the same as mine.

This is were I made the mistake that affected the whole rest of the race. I took a drink of the amino-acid drink I made this morning. Oh my god what a mistake. About 10 minutes later my stomache really started turning. That drink was absolutly disgusting. When I left this morning it was cold, but by the time I was biking it was lukewarm on top of the fact that it had a slightly salty taste. Very much how I imagine warm piss would taste. (please excuse my french) The whole thing made me sick to my stonache. This had the secondary effect of me not wanting to drink at all for the entire bike race. This nausea would not leave me for the whole rest of the way. I just did the best I could to tuff it out.

Most deffinately I will NOT try something I have never used on race day!!!!! Especially funky amino-acid sports drinks
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

The biggest thing was that my bike handle bars were so high that I couldn't get them under the rack bar. I struggled with that for a good 20 seconds at least. At least it felt that way.

Ummm. Get a better bike. Oh yeah that costs money. Oh-well we'll see.
Run
  • 35m 33s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Well out of the T2 area I made another mistake. Still hurting bad from my drink I was looking foward to getting to the drink tent. I was really dehydrated. Getting there I took a gateraide. Big mistake, it was "heated-in-the-sun" warm and did nothing to relive my nausea. As a result I drank almost nothing for the last half of the bike coruse til mile one. I ran the best I could just to get to the next drink tent. And made a point to drink nothing but water the rest of the way. I still managed to run more than I walked but there were several times I had to strongly resist the urge to retch.

Just to lower my heart rate.At the end it was really exciting to turn the corner and see the finish line. I found some sort of inner strength and ran strong the last few hundred yards.

Umm, how about drinking WATER. I wonder if it might be benifitial to walk strong out of the trasition area for about 100 yeards or so just to get my heartrate down. I also need to do more and longer training.
Post race
Warm down:

I was haded a very cold towel right at the end. This was unexpected and very much welcome. Cold waters were also right at hand. At the shuttle stop I met several person and had some very nice conversations with them. Including a 55 year young gentleman that informd me that he was off to Aulstrailia to do an iron man. Wow i was impressed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A very bad drinking decision.

Event comments:

I have a lot I can do to improve. But I honestly think that for my first time doing not only a tri but any kind of racing compitition I didn't do that bad. I made the best of what happened out there and I finished.

Last updated: 2005-09-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:32 | 481 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/28
Overall: 87/173
Performance: Good
None
Suit: none
Course: Pretty easy course. Out to a bouy. Right to second bouy. The back to shore. Entrance and exit were in different places.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:21 | 10.6 miles | 17.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/28
Overall: 152/173
Wind: Little
Course: Out over and back in a giant square. 2 loops.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ??
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:33 | 03.5 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/28
Overall: 139/173
Course: A winding course that went from the water to downtown Orlando. We had to take a shuttle to get back to our equipment.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %???
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes