General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Setup... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-19 10:24 AM

Subject: Bike Setup...
Hello. This question may have been asked and answered somewhere previously but I didn't see it posted. I'm competing in my first triathlon this weekend in Bethany Beach, Delaware. The only real question I have left unanswered is for the bike portion of the race? Should I use a Camelbak (one of the really small ones that only holds water) or should I just use water bottles? Also, I normally carry my pump and spare tube in my camelbak, if I don't use one for the race how should I carry them?
Jus thought of a second question...
If you don't already have your shoes attached to the bike (still debating if I'm going to do this), how do you go about running your bike out of the transition area? Do you have the bike in one hand and the shoes in the other and put them on out of the transition area before you get on the bike?

Thanks,
Daniel

2005-09-19 10:34 AM
in reply to: #249207

Extreme Veteran
Central Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Bike Setup...
Daniel,

Go with what you are comfortable with. Personally I use just water bottles and carry my spares and O2 cartridges on my saddlewing. If you have been using your Camelbak for training, dont change it for your race. After your race practice using your water bottles and get a small pouch that goes under your seat for your repair kit.

I keep my shoes attached to my bike and run bare foot out of the transition area. If you havent practiced putting your foot into your shoes while they are clipped in dont do it during a race. You could injure yourself and other racers. Another option is to put your shoes on, and jog/walk your bike out of the transition area.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
2005-09-19 10:40 AM
in reply to: #249218

Thanks for the response. I plan on practicing getting on my bike with the shoes already attached this week. I won't do it in the race unless I have it down without problems.
2005-09-19 10:54 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Daniel,
I use the Camelback Rogue (70 oz) whenever I'm on a bike. I lost a water bottle on my first tri and said never again! No need to put just water in it, mix with sports drink.

I keep all the spares and CO2 cartiges in a seat bag. Dump the pump and get CO2, been there done that.

Can't help you on the shoes deal, I use sneakers and cages!

Don
2005-09-19 11:02 AM

That's the exact one I was thinking of getting for the race. I have a MULE now but that's definitely overkill for a short 36k bike. Thanks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Setup... Rss Feed