Runners Edge of the Rockies
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 22s
Overall Rank = 125/143
Age Group = 36-40
Age Group Rank = 13/14
Pre-race routine:

Horrible morning. Work up ok, but instantly had GI issues. Then 5 min before time to leave, I puked several times. I wasn't sure I was even going to leave the house there for a few minutes. After about 10 I started feeling better. Had some coffee and a couple of cereal bars. I still felt ok, so I loaded up and headed to the race. I planned on having an hour to warmup and scope the event before the firing gun, but I only had about 30 min.
Event warmup:

Stretched fairly well in the short time I had. Ran for about 8-10 min, then did several pickups. I was about to do some high steps and strides when I heard them call my group to the line. So, I jogged to the line
Run
  • 1h 20m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, so I told myself going in that I wanted my first 10K to be done in 1:10:00 for a goal. I feel that is exactly what I did, even though the clock is 10 minutes slower. My expectations were all of road running, or on nice wide bike paths. This was true single track. It took nearly 3/4 mile for everyone to spread out from the start. Since it was dirt single track it was also fairly technical. You had to watch footfall to avoid ankle sprains. There were also lots of tight corners, and little up downs over gullies. There were some rocks/boulders to avoid, but nothing to serious. Throw in some sand pits and it just combines to make a slower time with the same effort versus road conditions.
I am quite pleased in all. It was a great mental day. Lots of mental battle/goals set and accomplished during the race. It wasn't so great a day physically, but not the worst either. Due to the early morning sickness I didn't have the proper fuel base, so I didn't feel like I could really charge at any point. Speed up yes, but charge, no. I was somewhat counting on that too. With a full weeks rest, it should have been there, but what you gonna do. I did what I always do. I rode the wave and saw where it took me. I am glad I did. It was totally worth the journey.
Splits:
1)13:02
2)12:53
3)14:01
4)14:30
5)12:25
6)12:20
  • 2)2:11
  • In all not bad. Gun goes off, and I instantly fall to the last place, as planned. Then find my pace, and start slowly passing other racers. I new mile 1 would be slow. It is normally one of my slower miles, as it still seems like I am warming up. Regardless of how long I actually warm up. It was also slightly uphill the first 1.5, with a good steep hill at the end. I knew that would make me a little slower than normal. I was hoping for 12 here, but being single track, that wasn't happening. Took 3/4mile for everyone to spread out from the start, not that I was really pushing. I kept telling myself to settle into a rhythm, it's a long race. Top the hill round the corner and start down for a mile. Came across two ladies that were obviously friends, and asked if I could tag in with their group. This was about the 2.5 mark. Allowed them to set the pace on into the aid station at 3. Bad idea, they slowed down when I tagged up. Had to take a biobreak at the aid, so everyone got ahead of me by 200M or so. No big deal, mile 3 was rolling with a nice long descent to start. I just let the legs roll as fast as they could, seemed like 6" at a time. Wasn't long I was back with my group. Hung around for about 5 min, then stepped to the front and went on. Mental victory #10 by this point. All basically the same as leaving the group behind, but one person at a time. Mile 3 was my weak spot. I should have ran my pace, and not allowed my mind to make do with the pace the group was setting. Lots of rollers though. I dealt with them well, but It was precarious each time. Just that little hint of how much is this going to spike the HR? I knew mile 4 was going to be slow, all uphill, and two really steep climbs of 200M or more. I was hoping for a 13 here, but with the technical factors of the course mixed in, I am happy with the 14:30. I did learn to section up large hills, and don't look at the horizon. It made them seem easier at least. Mile 5 was very undulating, shows flat on profile, but lots of roller coaster action. I did well, picked up the pace quite a bit, found my legs rolling again. Both up and down, and picked off a couple of more targets. Mile 6 was mostly flat. I continued to pickup the pace, and picked off 2 more in chasing my final target. Final target set at 5 mile mark, but he was also motivated. Mile 5 and 6 I was really hoping to lay down 11's, but considering conditions, am quite pleased with the 12.5's. The last .2 I held a good pace, but I couldn't muster my normal push to the line. My mind was already thinking about what I had just done.

Wow, what a way to wrap up a year of training. I started running in late Aug or early Sept. of last year. I could barely do 1 min intervals, and wasn't sure a 5K was even possible with my knee history, smoking too for that matter. To make a long story short, today I ran, every step, of a 10K. I left nothing on the table. I now see ways I could do better, but I gave what I had at the moment. In fact with my longest training run being 7 miles, and knowing I will be at 8 by Christmas, I wonder if I can handle a 13.1? Regardless, I have proven to myself that I can do an Oly Tri next year, and have already done what I thought would be the hardest part.

On a side note I am totally amazed that the 50 mile participants were running sub 7's. That was the 3-5 man leader group, but wow. I was almost certain I was going to see more relaxed, higher turnover running, but I am not sure what I saw. Obviously there were the people like me, there doing their first ultra, and always look like their struggling, but those guys at the front looked like the fast guys at a 5K. I am sure it is all relative, and those same guys would lay down a ridiculous time on a real 5K. They looked to be taking huge strides, but again I am sure that is all relative. Very inspirational, very eye opening. I have a lot to learn about run mechanics and efficiency. For me to turnover a 90rpm, I am probably only striding 1-2.5ft depending on the slope, and hills seem like 6 inches and slowing of cadence. Those ultras made it look so easy.

What would you do differently?:

Muster the charge at the end. I saw my last target at 5.25 miles in. He was motivated also, as he lead me by 3 others on the way to the line. He didn't charge at the line either. I normally train for this, but just couldn't muster it mentally at that point. After so many previous mental victories, my mind was wondering at that particular time. That's when I was counting on the physical strength I mentioned above. However, I have to learn to do this on mornings when I don't feel 100%. Moral of the story, if you see someone that looks like they may be your age group, run your butt off. I would have placed 2 slots higher. Turns out the guy one step in front of my target was also in the same AG. 50yds of sprinting. All out sprinting, but I was already reviewing my accomplishments. I can't do that until my accomplishments are complete. Learn some patients Brian. I thought you were the master of patience.
    Post race
    Warm down:

walked .5 mile or so. Bad sinus attack and coughed up a lot of drainage after the race. Kind of weird. Reminded me of when I smoked and was trying to learn to run. I just hacked up as much as I could, poured a some water over my head and tried to relax. Took about 5 minutes to go away, and everything was great. Sure makes me glad I quit smoking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of confidence at that distance, Finishing the race before finishing the race, and unfamiliar conditions. This was my first 10K race ever, my first trail run ever, and like I said earlier, the last 400M my mind was reviewing what I had done instead of finishing what I had set out to do. Bad timing, it would have been better served on mile 3 or 4.

Event comments:

Great race, well marked single track with volunteers at each intersection of other trails. Pancakes and beer post race, what more could you want. They also had messages, and several vendors onsite, Live music, and lots of shade. All that is pretty normal, but the atmosphere was awesome. Super laid back, everyone was very friendly, and even the 50 miler and 50K athletes encouraged the 10k athletes as they passed us. Made me feel very much at home during the event.

Last updated: 2011-09-20 12:00 AM
    Running
    01:20:22 | 06.21 miles | 12m 56s  min/mile
    Age Group: 13/14
    Overall: 125/143
    Performance: Good
    AVG:148 MHR:167 148 seems high. For the first 3rd it seemed like I was around 144-145 every time I looked, but 148 is not bad. The last 1.5 - 2 miles was creep from fatigue.
    Course: Awesome, lots of fun. A couple of challenging hills, mostly flat. Lots of shade, except the last mile. All, mostly, single track trail with beautiful views. Last mile was paved access road for the park. Lots of rollers and double rollers where you crossed gullies, or dried creeks. Most were only 5-8ft tall, and fairly fast.
    Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Good
    Mental exertion [1-5] 5
    Physical exertion [1-5] 3
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes