United States
Onurleft Event Management, LLC
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 33/41
Pre-race routine:

First off, I trained for this race with two friends named Koby and Derek who are not BT'ers. Koby has 2 prior sprints under his belt and Derek has several du's but this was his first triathlon. I had not raced in over 2 years so this was somewhat new for all of us! Woke up at 4:30, ate a piece of toast with jelly and headed down the street to pick up Koby.His wife Sara and my wife Kylie decided that it was going to be too difficult to get the little ones up early enough to get there so we were going on our own sans jockstraps. Got to transition and got body marked and all set up and sipped water for a while before using the port-a-can and heading down to the start. Took a caffeinated gu before heading down as well.
Event warmup:

Walked the 1/4+ mile from transition to the swim start that we would soon have to run heading back to transition from the swim. When we got there we all noticed that one of our turn buoy's was on the shore so we were confused about the course. One of the race guys got on the PA system to make course announcements but the gizmo was not working very well so we could barely hear him when we could even hear him at all. Turns out one of the buoy's had come untethered so they tied it on to one of the kayakers and had him "stay in one place to keep it there." Um, sure.
Swim
  • 15m 41s
  • 500 meters
  • 03m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

Start was deep water but the actual buoys were only about 15 meters from the water entrance. I hung out where I could stand at the back of the wave until about 5 sec to go and then stepped off into nothing-ness and headed out. I should have started further up because the first 100 or so I was swimming into everyone who was breast stroking and everything. Once I got through all of them the first turn buoy came up quick and we headed down the long side to the far turn. Along this side I was breathing to my left and on the shore beside me was a huge American flag that was all lit up. That was pretty cool. Hit the orange turn buoy and made my turn and headed for the next. All in all I was having a pretty good swim so far. Sighting was good and I was actually swimming straight. Made the last turn to head home and this is where it got a little screwey. First, I was swimming what I thought was fairly efficiently, breathing easy, and just plugging along but when I would look up I had barely gone anywhere. I have a hard time believing there was a current in a man made lake but I guess it's possible. Next, there was one last buoy that I understood was supposed to be passed on the right and then turned to the finish. Everyone was keeping it to their right and heading straight for the swim exit so I just followed everyone else. Got to the finish and a great volunteer grabbed my arm and jerked me out of the almost knee deep mud and off I went.
What would you do differently?:

Not much other than swim faster. I am surprised at how slow this was since I actually felt like I swam pretty well given my terrible abilities. I stayed calm and didn't use too much energy so even though it was terribly slow, I feel good about it.
Transition 1
  • 04m 40s
Comments:

So, here is where I learned we were actually doing a quadrathlon. Upon exiting the swim, we had a nice run up hill through sand, through some kiddy pools and then down a looooong red carpet into transition. This run was posted in our race packet as 1/4 mile! Other than that, pretty uneventful. Threw my shoes on, no socks, and headed out. Not too bad of a run with the bike but would have been much worse if I had my tri shoes on rather than my mtn shoes with recessed cleats.

Not have to run forever to get to transition? No biggie.
Bike
  • 43m 23s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 17.29 mile/hr
Comments:

After the swim I was really just waiting for Derek to pass me on the bike. I knew he would have a ruff swim as he had some trouble with open water during our practice swim last week and this was his first tri. I headed out and got up to speed fairly quickly and just settled in and started drinking. The road got really wet at some spots because of the sprinklers being on early in the morning. I had not ridden my tri spoke front wheel in a long time and had forgotten how it can get a little squirley at times. Passed some and got passed as well. Ticked off the miles and was just waiting for Derek to pass me. I was really starting to get worried about him and think that he might have dropped out when at about mile 9ish I saw him starting the out and back as I was ending it. I knew he wouldn't catch me on the bike but would see him on the run. Koby started 12 mins after us so I knew I prob wouldn't see him until the finish. Came around the last turn (I thought) and got out of my shoes. I think there is probably going to be a good picture of me reaching down fiddling with them. Then rounded the actual last turn and headed up to the dismount. Hopped off without problem and headed into transition.

Ride more. Just need to put on a lot more miles to up the avg. No worries. Overall a good ride. I stayed in the aero's the vast majority of the time and the beautiful new Felt performed flawlessly.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Got my bike racked and sat down to put my socks and shoes on. Decided that would be easier and maybe faster than standing. Time was long but I don't feel like I spent that much time here.

Nada. Maybe move a little faster?
Run
  • 32m 29s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Having not looked at a map at all I just headed out and followed the crowd. Starting off my shins were really tight so I went out a little slow. Did my usual 5/1 run/walk with a little adjustment based on aid stations. Hit the mile 1 aid station at 10:16 and felt good. Kept trucking just waiting for Derek to pass me. After the short out and back into the neighborhood at the turn around I saw him heading in as I was heading out. The second aid station was about mile 1.7 or so. Drank water at both aid stations and dumped some on my head. Derek finally passed me with about 3/4 of a mile to go. Had really planned on pushing the last mile much harder than I did and I'm not sure why I slacked off. Headed up around the last corner to the finish I gutted it out for a nice run in.

Run lots more!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water at the finish and talked to Derek and his girlfriend while we waited for Koby to finish. Koby and I ended up with overall times less than 30 sec from each other. Ate a bunch of pizza, fruit, granola bar, and drank a coke. Stood around for a while because the oly started 40 mins after we did and we couldn't get into transition until the last rider was out. Packed up and headed home when we could. Got a good nap at home and then got called in to work for a while that night.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. After making my return after a 2 year break I feel like I had a good race, albeit slow. With IMTX coming up quickly my training is about to take a very sharp curve upwards and I am looking forward to the effects that it will have on my performance at these shorter courses as well.

Event comments:

Overall the race was good. We got started about 20 mins late because of the long walk to the swim and it was really frustrating not being able to hear the directions being given at the swim start at all. The volunteers were great and the course was well supported. For being a $100 sprint the race packet and swag was a bit lacking in my opinion but that's no big deal. I would do this race again.

Last updated: 2011-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:41 | 500 meters | 03m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/41
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Square with all right turns, deep water, clear enough to see a few feet in front of you.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:23 | 12.5 miles | 17.29 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Square with one out and back toward the end.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:29 | 03.1 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Course: Out and back down a road with a short section in a neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-26 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Subject: Houston Triathlon - Sprint Course

2011-09-26 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3700489

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, Tx
Subject: RE: Houston Triathlon - Sprint Course
Good job man.  I did this race as well.  The swim was a little more difficult than I had imagined, although fun - can you believe that current?  
2011-09-26 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, Tx
Good job man.  I did this race as well.  The swim was a little more difficult than I had imagined, although fun - can you believe that current?
2011-09-26 1:46 PM

Nice Job and good luck with your training for IMTX. 

I didn't realize there was a current but heard some people talking about it post race.  I just thought my swim was slow because I caught a calf cramp early on and spent alot of time working it out.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Houston Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed