Melissa's Road Race
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 16s
Overall Rank = 417/1133
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 74/131
Pre-race routine:

Got up at about 6:00 ate some Mini-Wheats, packed our stuff into the van and drove to Banff (about 1.5hrs).
Event warmup:

Walked from our van to the race. About 2km... Had a Red Bull shot about 40mins. before the race (too early) then a Stinger Waffle about 20mins before the race.
Run
  • 1h 58m 16s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 37s  min/km
Comments:

Had a good run. Hit my time mark, barely. Started to feel the outter Quads at about km 12'ish, and the Calves really started to cramp for the last 5km. Didn't want to take any gels on the run, because I don't like the texture of them with a dry'ish mouth (had them with me, just couldn't bring myself to take one). Relied on Gator Aid for calories and fluid, as well I took water at the watering stations. Caught up to Hilary at about km 18 and we enjoyed(?) the finish together. Her with her issues and me with mine... hahaha.
What would you do differently?:

Need to figure out the cramping problem. Push a little more.
Post race
Warm down:

Enjoyed the draws and food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping calves. I think I could have pushed the pace a little more if I didn't have the cramping, I possibly could have knocked 2-4mins off my time without it.

Event comments:

Fantastic race. I am saying not enough to the drink stations because they closed one of them at the end of the golf course loop on the way back. Could have really used that one.

Last updated: 2011-05-30 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:16 | 21.1 kms | 05m 37s  min/km
Age Group: 74/131
Overall: 417/1133
Performance: Average
Course: Nice course. Nice downhill at about km 4ish, passed a bunch of people there, who many of them passed me on the flats (I wish the whole race was downhill. hahaha). Then 2 laps around the golf course, and back to the start... ummm oh yeah... had to go back up that hill, Ouch!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes