General Discussion Race Reports! » Aspen Golden Leaf Half Marathon - TRAIL RUN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Aspen Golden Leaf Half Marathon - TRAIL RUN - Run

View Member's Race Log
Aspen, Colorado
United States
Ute Mountaineer
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had pasta dinner at Maccaroni Grill in Denver to fuel up. Drove up to Basalt Saturday kinda late. Went straight to bed. Up at 6:30. Had coffee, muffin, red bull, water. Drove to Aspen, registered.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little and did a few strides up the hill and down mainly to make sure my shoes were tied exactly as I wanted them - not too tight, not too loose. Had an energy gel 10 min before start.
Run
  • 2h 00m 37s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Started charging up the hill pretty good, I think listening to music really helped. However I am not that great on uphills, I couldn't keep same pace all the way up, after first mile some people who I had passed initially passed me (most of them I passed again further in the race). A good part of the uphill I ran right next to Aaron Ralston, which I thought was pretty cool, we kinda paced each other. After mile 2 I got strong again and started passing people, I am not afraid of going all out on the downhills and flat or rolling parts I was able to keep my speed as well. I was happy to have my gatorade bottle with me, the water stations seemed kind of rare for such a tough and long course. I stayed really strong till about mile 12 when I fell down (after making through all the hard obstacles, I had to fall on the flat as I was switching from dirt trail to concrete!); I didn't mess myself up too bad, but it slowed me down a little for the last mile I think. I didn't break 2 hours as I planned, but I did set my course record.
What would you do differently?:

not fall
also try to stay stronger on the uphill, so I don't have to pass as many people on the downhill single track
Post race
Warm down:

cleaned up my wounds, stretched, ate and drank

What limited your ability to perform faster:

having to run behind people who are slower than me on the downhill and faster than me on the uphill

Event comments:

If you live in Colorado you should run this race! It's definitely one of my favorites!

Last updated: 2005-09-19 12:00 AM
Running
02:00:37 | 13.3 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
AHR 177 MHR 186
Course: First 2 miles very steep uphill up the face of snowmass mountain. Then roling hills till 8 with a couple good uphills but nothing as bad as initiall hill. Mostly single track, pretty rough trail - rocks, roots, fallen trees, creeks; mostly dry, unlike some of the previous years. Absolutely gorgeous views - mountains, tall aspens that just started turning - it makes it harder to avoid obstacles as you are tempted to look around all the time, which is not such a good idea if you want to avoid twisting your anckle. Miles 8 through 11 - crazy downhill with some switchbacks, still single track and a lot of obstacles, must stay alert to avoid injury. Last 2 miles mostly flat, and in town
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-19 1:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Subject: Aspen Golden Leaf Half Marathon - TRAIL RUN

2005-09-19 2:24 PM
in reply to: #249470

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: Aspen Golden Leaf Half Marathon - TRAIL RUN
Great job! You kicked butt yesterday... you keep getting faster - I think YOU WILL break 3:20 at the California International Marathon in December... BTW - Oasis at Red Rocks less than 36 hours away!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Aspen Golden Leaf Half Marathon - TRAIL RUN Rss Feed