Sunny
Total Time = 47m 44s
Overall Rank = 21/332
Age Group = Open
Age Group Rank = 21/332
Pre-race routine:

Flat diet Dr. Pepper, PB&J sandwich
Event warmup:

Walked from my truck to the team tent, relaxed and met a couple team members I didn't know. Brisk jog over to the porto-potties sent the message that is was time to GO. After finishing paperwork, ran back to the start line and arrived a minute before the National Anthem.
Run
  • 47m 44s
  • 7.71 miles
  • 06m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Stood on the front row with about 10 other people, notably: Desiree Ficker, Lon Brietenbauch (sp?), and a Kenyan guy who smoked everyone. I was planning to run 6:30-6:35 pace but decided to see how I felt after a couple miles. It always seems like a sprint from the start and I figured if I was going to be in the sprint start, I might as well go for it. I led the first 1/4 mile of the race until the Kenyan guy glided past me completely effortlessly and then others started to slowly pass me as I settled into a "manageable" pace...which turned out to be 6:04. I doubted I could hold that for the next 5-6 miles but I was gonna try. Besides, neither Lon nor Des had passed me yet and I wasn't about to look back.

I continued to feel pretty good until about 5.5 miles in. My pace started to drop off a bit and it became harder to hold on. Lon caught and passed me. I dropped in behind him to try and hold on using him for a little drafting (we were running at about 9.5mph after all) and as a rabbit but my legs were upset with me and I couldn't stick with him. My quads were starting to cramp. At the turn around (6 miles in) I saw that I still ahd a pretty good lead on Des so that lifted my spirits a bit.

My wife was volunteering at the last water stop so I grabbed some water and waved at my daughter in the stroller as I went by. I heard her say "dadda" which is always cool. I gutted it out to the finish, trying to stay in the top 20. I thought I was 18th across the finish but I must have counted wrong. Oh well.

I am extremely pleased with my performance. I just didn't have another gear when I started falling off pace. Average HR was 177 which is right at my threshold so I know I wasn't slacking....although I'm sure Desiree wasn't giving it her all. Still excited to beat a pro triathlete and marathon winner at a race. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, forced down most of a bagel and a banana, drank water and Gatorade.

Last updated: 2011-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:47:44 | 07.71 miles | 06m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/332
Overall: 332/332
Performance: Good
Avg HR = 177
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: