World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 39m 15s
Overall Rank = 880/3100
Age Group = M/25-29
Age Group Rank = 88/188
Pre-race routine:

Day before the race: 20 min easy pace workout in each discipline, with 3 x 30 sec race effort, and 2 minutes of rest between each effort. Felt good, and ready for the race after the workout.
Really had a hard time eating good the day before, mainly due to the lack of 'healthy' food near the hotel. Next time I will bring some of my own food. Luckily, I did a protein/juice shake (essentially a smoothie, but not blended). My main meal was a large pasta dinner at Carrabbas. I entirely ate too much, which had to do with how hungry I was by the time I got my good. Next time I will only eat half of the pasta dish, as I felt way too full after finishing.
In the morning I had a cup of instant oatmeal and a cup of Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt, as well as a cup of coffee to get my body moving.
I got dressed and put on warm-up pants, and a long-sleeve t-shirt over my tri kit to get nice and warm before the race.
Event warmup:

Did some mini-band work to activate my IT Bands and legs, as well as some dynamic stretching, and leg swings, etc. My legs felt good, but wish I had more time to really focus on stretching. I was thrown off by having to walk back to the swim start from the transition area since the line for the shuttle was so long. I did get a little bit warm during that time, so I didn't have that big a problem with it in the long run. I had to wait in line to use the port-o-john, and put my wetsuit on, and worked my way towards the swim start platform. I got up there in plenty of time, but felt rushed getting my wetsuit (top part) on properly, and perfect.
Swim
  • 26m 28s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt extremely calm and focused during the entire swim. I did not feel stressed at all during the swim, and really was surprised at how 'clear' my mind felt. I am normally frantic during the swim, however this was the opposite. I could have without a doubt pushed much harder during the swim. I also was having problems with pulling to the left, and would deviate slightly off my straight shot to the end.
What would you do differently?:

Swim slightly more aggressive, and work on really focusing on keeping my body straight through the water.
Transition 1
  • 04m 6s
Comments:

I was really proud of myself, I got out of the water, took my swim cap off, and thought I had grabbed my goggle strap (they were on under my cap), however when I took the cap off, I dropped my goggles. I ended up wasting close to a minute in knee deep water trying to find my beloved goggles. If they weren't so expensive I would have left them.
Had a good T1 despite the somewhat long run from the boat ramp (swim exit) the back of transition. The wetsuit strippers were great. Was up and going in less than 20 seconds. Found my bike rack exactly as I wanted, and went straight to my bike, set my suit down, rinsed my feet, dried my feet, and put my socks on. I put my helmet on, and put my glasses on while running. Once past the mount line I did a rolling mount, and somewhat fumbled into my shoes. My left shoe turned over and was dragging on the ground. I recovered, and got going. I had never had that happen in all of my transitions, so that was weird.
I was also happy I remembered the trick of putting your goggles into your cap, and pulling them through the wetsuit sleeve when you pull your arm out. The cap and goggles stayed in perfectly (even still, they are in my wetsuit arm).

Make sure I grab my cap and goggles before pulling them off.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 26s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I rented 808 rear, and 404 front for the race. My inexperience in trying to 'save' my legs, while tackling hills really played out. I was thinking, switch to an easy gear, and spin up...however with the 808 in the rear it felt much harder to spin up. I ended up having a break through in the back 1/3 of the course, and would hammer going into the hill, and then switch to an easier gear once I started to slow down. It made the difference between getting passed on the climb, and passing people on the climbs.

I also drank more water than calories. This began my downfall in my nutrition.

Gearing would be much different going into the hills. Make sure I have a distinct nutrition plan in place, and really map everything out (what I will take, and when). I also need to realize that it is ok to have a bloated feeling on the bike, however with my HR being lower, I will have more blood in my stomach to digest this.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Excellent T2. I got my shoes on, grabbed my arm sleeves, and nutrition out of my bento box, and went. I thought this was go into my back pocket on my tri-top, but my new top is not as tight in the pocket, so it flew out while running...had to stop and pick it up.

Don't bring as much with me on the run. I was worried I'd run out of nutrition, but I definitely over packed.
Run
  • 2h 16m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out strong in the first part of the run course, and found someone to run with. Did a gel within the first mile, and felt ok. I kept going and started to feel sick. Around mile 2 I ended up throwing up (while running) but kept going. At aid station 3 I got some coke (my first time using it), and within a few minutes I felt a little bit better. I could not however even attempt to think of consuming a gel or chomps. I had some bananas and oranges at aid stations, and a few sips of Ironman Perform as well as more coke. I also took on alot of ice in my shirt, sleeves, shorts, hat, and also used sponges to stay cool. It got hot running in downtown since the buildings blocked the wind, and it was rather humid.

Focus on coming out slower from T2, and ensure I finish strong for the second half. My nutrition really slowed me down on the run (I was aiming for a nice easy 2 hr half marathon, which is doable).
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of water, and waited for my friend to finish. After he finished we waited in line for the athletes village, ate some pizza (I was surprised I could tolerate it) and drank some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition plan. Need to work this out before completing my Ironman in 2012, but I know it will come with practice.

Event comments:

Very happy with the race. The post race activities were somewhat of a let down. I have had better post-race at a sprint series. Pizza, cookies, pretzels was somewhat a limited selection. But that is me. All in all the volunteers made the race, especially the aid station on the back of the course near Transition. They were awesome, and hooting and hollering, and the guy in the costume in that heat was my hero.

Last updated: 2011-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:28 | 2112 yards | 01m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 54/188
Overall: 497/3100
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Fullsuit
Course: Point to point swim. Water start. Slight current, not as strong as everyone talked about.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:50:26 | 56 miles | 19.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 94/188
Overall: 909/3100
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills through South Carolina.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:16:35 | 13.1 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 88/188
Overall: 880/3100
Performance: Below average
First 6.55/miles: Average Pace 9:18/mi Second 6.55 Miles: 11:32/mi.
Course: Flat 2 loop course in Downtown Augusta. Great for spectators.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes